Mayshill - GWR

Jules

The Mink D is about the only thing I have built this year.

Unfortunately it is a bit wobbly due to a bit of a build issue.  It runs, but does occasionally de-rail over point work.  I think it will either have to be replaced, or hack the running gear to spring one of the axles.  Nothings going to happen very quickly though...

• 3 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hi Jules, good to see some photos from Mayhill again. I like that train, those provender wagons really had presence! (8 planks I think?).

The field at the curve is a nice touch. 

• 1 month later...

The 52xx is a bit camera shy...I think it feels embarrassed by the short trains it gets to pull :)

It actually gets quite a bit of use, it is such a lovely smooth running low speed machine it is a shame not to use it.

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Jules, that looks great.

I know it's out of a place but it doesn't really look it, I think. Your excellent modelling helps a lot in making it look believable!

Edited by Mikkel
  • Like 1

No more photos of the Loriot W at the moment, I will try and remember to take a couple.

The transfers are waterslide from Modelmaster Jacson Evans, number GW301.  The pack has a variety of numbers for a range of GW wagons, opens, minks etc.  The tranfers for the Loriot are actually for a 'P' rather than a 'W', but I I thought they would be better than nothing...

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Time for another update...

When I first started building the layout, I couldn't find a suitable goods shed to fit the available space - the Ratio one was a bit too big and the Wills ones not quite right either, so I bought one of the Bachmann scenecraft jobbies as shown below (I can't remember the proper name for it!).  It had been my intention to scratch build a suitable shed, but I never got round to it, and now I have less time for modelling, probably won't in the near future either.

post-148-0-90838400-1425319256_thumb.jpg

post-148-0-20920500-1425319229_thumb.jpg

post-148-0-64797600-1425319221_thumb.jpg

post-148-0-48508000-1425319176_thumb.jpg

post-148-0-79105300-1425319170_thumb.jpg

I noticed the Bachmann (again!) had produced a scenecraft goods shed based on Shillingstone goods shed, which seemed about the right size, so I thought with a repaint it should do the job quite nicely.

First job was to remove the old goods shed, and cut away the built up ground to accept the new shed.  Fortunately, this was pretty easy, with only a bit of cutting and carving to remove the old ground, and a bit of modelling clay to reshape for the new shape.

post-148-0-20051100-1425319312_thumb.jpg

post-148-0-37703900-1425319305_thumb.jpg

A repaint of the door runners, doors, gutters and soffets in dark and light stone was then required.  Unfortunately, I found my light stone had solidified, so those pieces are temporarily 'undercoated' in cream until I can acquire a replacement light stone tin!

The pics show it in position, but until the repaint is completed, I will not bed it in properly.

post-148-0-87601600-1425319504_thumb.jpg

post-148-0-24416700-1425319496_thumb.jpg

post-148-0-42223900-1425319487_thumb.jpg

post-148-0-62288700-1425319479_thumb.jpg

I'm fairly pleased with how it looks, I don't think it is too overpowering in size and is possibly a bit more in keeping (size wise) for a terminus of this size.

Edited by Jules
Images lost - not on HDD
  • Like 17

Hi Jules,

I see you managed to purchase one of the Bachmann Scenecraft goods sheds. This looks superb on your layout and not a bit out of place. I really like the detailed stonework on the model too! I see your painting team have made a grand job. Send them over to Berry Pomeroy when they're done - this shed could do with a similar change judging by the photos.

Well done indeed!

Chris

Hi Jules.

I agree that the New Goods Shed fits in so well with your station.

The first Goods Shed reminded me of my conversion of the Wills Goods Yard Store kit for Ffrwd Locks.

I used Wills Brick Sheets to replace the "timber" staging, added two canopies, a door in one end, replaced one window with a larger one from the same kit (It has spare parts from the Wills Signal Box kit included!). The platform was made longer to accomodate a Wills Crane kit.

I was inspired by the PECO N Gauge Goods Shed kit which I had a while ago during an N adventure. I wonder why they never made it in OO, it is such a nice design!

Link to PECO Shed kit...

http://www.peco-uk.com/product.asp?strParents=3309,3310&CAT_ID=3311&P_ID=18263

gallery_12119_2885_164029.jpg

gallery_12119_2885_248125.jpg

I made the roof removeable and put a bit of detail inside...

gallery_12119_2885_94167.jpg

Edited by Sarahagain
  • Like 9

• RMweb Gold

Hi Jules, good to see an update on Mayshill. It's interesting how the two sheds give a very different appearance to the whole yard.

I see you have a pigeon van, they really are very attractive vehicles.

• Like 1

Thanks for the 'likes' and comments.

Chris - I'm sure the painters would take a trip up north, for a fee! It's amazing how changing the colours changes the look of the goods shed, and is a nice quick job to do.

Sarah - nice images of your modified Wills shed.  I did consider that kit when I was first looking for something to fill the gap, but thought it a little small for the location.  I guess I could have joined a couple together in some way, maybe next time!  Like you, I often wonder why kits do not span scales, would seem a sensible use of the drawings.

Mikkel - the new shed does make that end of the layout look quite different, it's almost like have a new layout for a simple change!  The pigeon van is a lovely vehicle isn't it?  It was originally in maroon for my previous layout, but I repainted it in teak so I could use it on this one.  Must get some transfers for it.  It was also on of the nicest kits to put together, and one of the only long wheel based wagons I have managed to assemble without it rocking.

Les - thanks.  Haven't seen any Bishopscombe updates for a while. I hope it is still giving lots of pleasure.

Cheers

Jules

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Jules,

Just spent the last hour or so looking through your thread. Excellent work on the layout.

It would look great as a U shaped layout, with a main line junction at one end and Mayshill at the other. This would be an excuse to run the 52XX :D, and to have slightly longer passenger trains occasionally.

Keep up the great work!

Peter

Peter,

Thanks for all the 'likes'!

There is potential to extend the layout into a U shape, but I don't think it would ever have a junction at the other end, unfortunately there just isn't enough room.  Apart from giving a bigger and better fiddle yard, there wouldn't be room for much else other than scenery, maybe with a single coach halt.  Whatever it might (or might not) be, it would involve a bit of room re-arranging and a thinning out of my 'library', so nothing will happen quickly!

Cheers

Jules