Mayshill - GWR

Jules

The Tri-ang coaches were originally released to go with the Lord of the Isles loco....so were originally GWR coaches.

Also made in LNER, LMS, BR Blood and Custard, Bright Red, and "Railway Children" colours amongst others....

Very impressive new coaching stock here, Jules. Well done! It's always nice to see different varieties to keep your interest flowing :)

May I ask you where your platform gas lamps are from? Are they Ratio kits?

Keep up the super work!

Chris

Sarah - thanks for the history on the coaches - I had one as a child in teak and that is the only livery I remember then in!

Chris - I have had the platform lamps for over ten years so my memory might note be quite right, but I think they are one of the Langley Models range.  They are white metal and need handling carefully when assembling/painting as they are a bit flexible!  Hope that helps.

I intend to attempt to paint the coach door handles and grab handles in a brass colour, and add some 'branding' when I get the chance!

Thanks for all the 'likes'

• Like 3

Hi Jules.

The LNER Teak coaches were made to go (One brake, One compartment) in a train set with a Jinty (yes!) in LNER Green Livery!

There was also a brake coach in Black ED engineer's livery, later made in green....

The bright red coaches were made without buffers, and were from a Train Set (Sometimes 2 brakes, sometimes other combinations...) with the Jinty in Black lined white with 2021 as the number on the sides.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Jules, nice to see the 64xx taking up work at Mayshill. There's something very appealing about panniers in pairs! I've often thought the Brentford branch would make a great layout just for that reason along, they had a couple of them on the docks there. Good thing that the retro-fitting went well, I dread that sort of thing too!

Edited for spelling, cut my left index finger with the scalpel this morning!

Edited by Mikkel
  • Like 1

Hi Mikkel

Ouch! Sorry to hear about your finger, hopes it's not too bad and doesn't prevent your modelling.  I've just been admiring your tea chests and chocolate boxes - they are superb!

The panniers are lovely locos, I think I have four now which is a bit excessive for Mayshill!

The 64xx is just out of the box, I still have to add my usual coal, etched plates, fire irons, lamp and crew.

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

What crew will that be Jules? Monty's?

PS: Just realized your pics are large size, they look even better like that!

PPS: Finger fine now thanks, one crate got a bit bloody :-) 

• Like 1

Hi Mikkel, glad the finger is better!

I'm not sure what the crew will be - I have a few figures in my spares box which might be suitable but which make they are I have no idea! If not, Montys might be an option.

Fortunately, it looks like the 64xx has a complete cab floor unlike the old 57xx so fitting the crew should be a lot easier.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

What great additions to the layout today, Jules. Also, I must say...Snap! Today I have been "planting" the same exact flowers too on the platform here at Berry Pomeroy. Ideal and ever so simple to install with great effects.

Also, well done with the goods shed repaint. Perfectly GWR now! Also, I like your new signal box nameplates. I think they look similar to the one I have used here. Is it the Cooper Craft one?

Keep up the super work. Always a joy to see Mayshill's updates :)

Chris

• RMweb Gold

I am afraid that I cheat and print them out using Open office ......you get a smaller font size than Word.

The layout looks superb Jules.....the iconic GWR BLT where the sun never sets!

Glad the retrofit wiring worked......not something I look forward too..

Regards from a sunny Vancouver

• Like 1

I think copper craft should have done the letters in white, then the board could be painted black and the paint scrapped off over the letters

Couldn't agree more! The letters for the station name are in white, and as you say, it makes it far easier to remove the black paint from the letters, rather than the white paint from the black background.

Here are a couple of pics of the crossing box - I had a bit more 'fun' painting this name board than the main signal box one.

post-148-0-01349500-1429032318_thumb.jpg

post-148-0-67058500-1429032310_thumb.jpg

Thanks John.  I had tried using Word to print nameplates and other signs, but I think the combination of Word, the printer and the paper made me give up!

Regards from a sunny South Gloucestershire!

• Like 16

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hi Jules, what is the rental rate for the cottage please? I wouldn't mind living there  :)

I really like the scene around the house, it's all very natural but well thought out. A little weathering of the crossing gates maybe?

• Like 3

Morning Jules, its really looking excellent and that Cottage and Crossing is just perfect, you have a really good eye for detail and it shows in every shot. I put flower Beds on my O Gauge Trebudoc, platform, (see next edition of Hornby Mag, due out this week) and it really brightens up the whole place and makes it pretty, pretty as opposed to just another Station.

Well done, really excellent.

• Like 1

Thanks for all the likes and comments :)

I think that the garden walls can use a little weathering at the bottom.

There will probably be some tufts of foliage added the next time I do some scenic work, helped by a layer of dust!

Hi Jules, what is the rental rate for the cottage please? I wouldn't mind living there

The rates are very reasonable! Although if you want to see trains running - you might be disappointed.  

After taking the pictures, I had a nice long operating session. It was slightly spoilt by the odd wagon derailing on the point leading into the station.  This point has now completely failed - one of the blades as snapped/fatigued/failed at the clip that holds it onto the tie-bar so it flaps around loosely. It is usable for the platform road, but not for the run round loop or sidings.

So the only train I can really run is the Auto!

I now have the joyous task of getting the old point out and replacing it, without inflicting damage to anything.  A task I could do without...

Hi,

Been a while since I have been on this thread - interests waned and after a visit to England I have my heart set on 1950s ScR in Crimson and Cream. Real shame about the points, thats going to be annoying. I wish I could get my layout up to the standard yours is at, but that is unlikely, as school commitments, especially in a couple of years when I start VCE/IB will be extremely time consuming.

Peter

• 5 months later...