Mayshill - GWR

Jules

Not quite!

It is in Gloucestershire (well - it's South Gloucestershire these days) just south of Yate, or north of Coalpit heath if you prefer, on the A432.

There are about 4 houses there and it is more of a rise than a hill biggrin.gif

• RMweb Gold

Hi Jules, great to see some progress on this. I know what you mean about shunting wagons around, I can spend hours like that smile.gif

The filled-in track by the cattle dock, I've not actually noticed this on the prototype before, but I can see why it would be there. Do you happen to know any locations where it was used as I'd be interested to see if I can dig out some photos?

Hi Mikkel

Thanks for the comment.

I just built the cattle dock and track infill as per the Ratio instructions - it isn't modelled on/from any prototype picture.

I do however seem to recall that most pictures of cattle docks that I have seen do have a similar sort of arrangement. Unfortunately, I am at work at the moment so cannot have a look for any pics to back me up!

From memory, Cirencester and Ashburton are two places that show this feature.

Cheers

Jules

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

From memory, Cirencester and Ashburton are two places that show this feature.

A belated thanks for this Jules, looking at various prototype photos I can see it was commonplace (though there appear to be exceptions where there was no track infill). That's the great thing about this hobby, there's something new to discover every day smile.gif

Looking forward to more pictures of progress on Mayshill.

• 2 weeks later...

A bit of progress - some green stuff has started growing, and a line of fence posts await their wire on the cutting leading to the Frog Lane bridge.

Apart from that, my 20+ year old Mike's Models (I think ) yard crane now sits on top of its plinth, and I think that's it!

I said progress would be slow..Some pictures to illustrate the goings on:

ap11.JPG.4fa2f5e3dcc31129857e017c5da08481.JPG

ap2.JPG.808b8550a2c95270223e45e655e2cdf0.JPGap3.JPG.50d7dfdedb597ebee0f49d2f2246d1b9.JPGap4.JPG.b282e0090bc83dffd02f1dc2c0ad62a2.JPGap5.JPG.fed6297949d89201d81a782b57dbdbc3.JPG

Edited by Jules
  • Like 11

• 2 months later...

Rescuing this topic from the depths of of the forum....

I haven't done a lot on the layout in the previous couple of months, been operating it a fair amount but no actual progress on the layout...until now!

I have started constructing the Ratio GW station kit (Castle Cary I believe) but as I wanted to model it with the doors open, I thought I would hack together a bit of an interior. I have to say that I used no prototype drawings or photos for this - just vague memories of buildings on preserved railways......so Pendon standard it most certainly isn't!! Not sure how much will actually be seen once the door frames, doors (open) roof etc are on, but at least it stops it being an empty shell.

The booking office

stat1.JPG.013e8504bc79d5080f2881bf8fa5a28d.JPG

The ladies waiting room

stat2.JPG.cde3d6131acf3d92d749139ba5b2ba76.JPG

Overall view

stat3.JPG.7f906b7a26a73e8ecff9537011ba3fbf.JPG

Gratuitous shot of the small praire waiting to pass under Frog Lane

stat4.JPG.e597ae397c9c59be5e57897f9d2bcf39.JPG

Cheers

J

Edited by Jules
  • Like 10

Great progress, loving the interior detail on the station, you have got alot further than me, even though we started at the same time with almost the same plan.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Jules. Very nice interior additions.

I've never actually seen the Castle Cary kit unbuilt in the flesh, but these shots give a good impression. Thanks for sharing!

Thanks for the comments chaps.

I shall probably do a couple of exteria mods as well - probably a flat canopy, and anything else easy to make it slightly more individual.

Might take a bit of time tho.....

• 4 weeks later...

Some progress on the station building....

The interior is as finished as it is going to be... I should have added lighting as now the roof and canopy are on you cannot really see the inside anyway!

Still to add the chimneys and notice boards etc - but it's slowly getting there.

P1a.JPG.859779b35e029bb2899bc18eff2da020.JPG

P1b.JPG.3bfadada5d27f8dddb6e8566f725c39d.JPG

P1c.JPG.7b071a6dcc8e738414e5169acc7f171b.JPG

P1d.JPG.8a0ec8bf5a32714b2f2e49fcbef19cfb.JPG

The pic makes the canopy look like it slopes rather a lot towards the rear - it does slightly but not as much as suggested!

Edited by Jules
  • Like 14

• 3 weeks later...

A bit more progress, the station building is almost complete, just needs a few more posters/advertising jobbies to complete the look, as well as signs for the waiting rooms, tickets etc. Anyone know where I can source them?

Also done is the platform fencing and name board (Dart Castings supports, Coopercraft board and letters). The fence needs some advertising adding, the platform needs benches and people - it all looks a bit bare at the moment!

Anyway here are a couple of snaps - the building is just plonked on at the moment, the photos really show the need for seating it properly.

Hope they are of interest to someone.....

post-148-128238505745.jpg

post-148-128238505023.jpg

post-148-128238507252.jpg

post-148-128238506488.jpg

• Like 14

• 1 month later...

Some minor progress has been made, a few posters added to the building and railings, some lamps and benches. Not much I know!

The backscene has also been added to part of the um... backscene! It's not quite big enough so I need to get a few more sections to complete it. I really should have done a bit more planning and put this in place before doing the rest of the layout, but hey, every days a school day!

Hope the pics interest someone.....

MMMM1.JPG.f2647c435dd5fc31ec58137bede04771.JPG

MMMM2.JPG.f9887374592734b1fa23fafccd3dc159.JPG

MMMM3.JPG.91a35e6f7c1979bc604d953dd771d59c.JPG

Edited by Jules
  • Like 12

• RMweb Premium

I have been watching this model develop from the first post , I can only echo the comments of other posters ,

you have captured the look of the GWR nicely , I think you were right not to try and fill the area with track as

it now conveys a nice sense of space .

The backscene looks super to me and really blends in with scene . Keep up the good work and keep us

posted with more progress .

Well done , it's nice to see the GWR still has a following . :good_mini: :drink_mini:

Thanks for the kind words chaps blush.gif

I'm not quite happy with the shade of grey for the platform yet, and the goods yard (cunningly hidden in the photos!) is just a black painted wilderness at the moment.

I'm also not convinced that I will stick with the cassettes I am using for the fiddle yard, they are too narrow to make changing stock easy and they are a bit cumbersome to manoeuvre, so I am mulling over some options. Don't expect a rapid solution!

I'm hoping that now the nights are dark I might get a bit more done.....

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for the kind words chaps blush.gif

I'm also not convinced that I will stick with the cassettes I am using for the fiddle yard, they are too narrow to make changing stock easy and they are a bit cumbersome to manoeuvre, so I am mulling over some options. Don't expect a rapid solution

Have you considered the aluminium angle method ? It seems to be popular on a lot of exhibition lauouts .

Just me thinking out loud . :rolleyes:

Hi

The paint for the pagoda, railings etc are from Phoenix Precision paints :

P22 GWR Stone No. 3 (Dark Stone)

P21 GWR Stone No. 1 (Light Stone)

All brush painted straight from the tin. I'm not sure if it should be thinned a bit as it is quite thick, but it seems to work ok.

• RMweb Premium

Hi

The paint for the pagoda, railings etc are from Phoenix Precision paints :

P22 GWR Stone No. 3 (Dark Stone)

P21 GWR Stone No. 1 (Light Stone)

All brush painted straight from the tin. I'm not sure if it should be thinned a bit as it is quite thick, but it seems to work ok.

Thanks for that, I have have to look for some as the colours look the best that I have seen.