Mayshill - GWR

Jules

Hi

To be honest, I have no idea if there is a 'correct' side for the lever to be located.

I would imagine it is to do with where it is safest to put it, or where there is enough room. Perhaps a question in the 'Help' section would get a correct answer from someone with PW/signalling knowledge?

Cheers

Jules

• RMweb Gold

To be honest, I have no idea if there is a 'correct' side for the lever to be located.

I would imagine it is to do with where it is safest to put it, or where there is enough room. Perhaps a question in the 'Help' section would get a correct answer from someone with PW/signalling knowledge?

Jules

The lever should go on the side of the walkway used by the Shunters (and never in the 'v' as roads split) - as far as I can recall two way handlevers - which is what these are - are sited so they lean away from the heel end of the point so when being pulled whever is working them is looking away from the heel end towards where the movement will come from (assuming they're right handed - if that makes sense) but I have seen them the other way round.

Those are painted exactly the opposite way to what they should be - the main part of the lever should be white and the handle should be darker as it was normally left unpainted. This isn't the best of pics for detail study but should show what I mean ... I hope.

post-6859-0-31309100-1298891383_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Mike,

Thanks for you info, most useful.

From your description, I think at least one of my levers is round the wrong way!

I'm guessing that a double slip complicates matters somewhat, as the movement could come from either side on different routes?

Cheers

Jules

• RMweb Gold

Mike,

Thanks for you info, most useful.

From your description, I think at least one of my levers is round the wrong way!

I'm guessing that a double slip complicates matters somewhat, as the movement could come from either side on different routes?

Cheers

Jules

Jules I've an idea from looking at the pics that one en d of your double slip should be signalbox worked anyway as it is - I think - the connection into the 'mainline' .

Hi Mike

Thanks for that.

I have to confess that I didn't really plan the layout with signalling in mind, so I am trying the usual botch of trying to add details after the event. I probably tried to fit too much track into the available space, so didn't leave enough room for catch points, signal posts, ground signals etc. I hope the end result wont be too offensive!

Jules

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi Mike

Thanks for that.

I have to confess that I didn't really plan the layout with signalling in mind, so I am trying the usual botch of trying to add details after the event. I probably tried to fit too much track into the available space, so didn't leave enough room for catch points, signal posts, ground signals etc. I hope the end result wont be too offensive!

Jules

Jukes - You're a very naughty boy for not thinking about signalling when you planned the track layoutbiggrin.gif However you can hardly be criticised for that and as it happens you haven't really made any serious bloopers, with one minor exception - there is no trap point in the run-round loop at the station throat (and that is very easily rectified on a cosmetic basis with a piece of rail etc). The goods yard has got a trap point by virtue of that double slip so it is, and looks, perfectly ok. Provided you plonk the right signals in the right places it is going to look very good from the viewpoint of looking to be realistically signalled so you need have no worries on that score - and it will compliment the smashing job you've done so far which is defnitely not at all offensive to my eyes (and I wonder how many folk wonder about which way round to plant handpoint levers?).

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Rescuing this topic from the depths of of the forum....

I haven't done a lot on the layout in the previous couple of months, been operating it a fair amount but no actual progress on the layout...until now!

I have started constructing the Ratio GW station kit (Castle Cary I believe) but as I wanted to model it with the doors open, I thought I would hack together a bit of an interior. I have to say that I used no prototype drawings or photos for this - just vague memories of buildings on preserved railways......so Pendon standard it most certainly isn't!! Not sure how much will actually be seen once the door frames, doors (open) roof etc are on, but at least it stops it being an empty shell.

The booking office

post-148-127818695993.jpg

The ladies waiting room

post-148-127818696789.jpg

Overall view

post-148-12781869754.jpg

Gratuitous shot of the small praire waiting to pass under Frog Lane

post-148-127818695156.jpg

Cheers

J

Hi,

What a fabulous layout! I am just building the same Ratio station and have spent a long time deciding where to put the rooms. I wanted to put a station master's office which complicated things. A question, where did you get the internal doors? I have some doors but they seem to be the right size for front doors but too big for internal ones

Chris

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Chris

Sorry for the delay in replying..

The doors are from Peco, they are sold separately as a detailing pack. I'm afraid I do not have the reference number as the packet went in the bin a long time ago!

I think the pack might contain windows and gutters etc, so you might end up with a few things you don't want/need!

There has been very little progress on the layout recently -too busy playing with it!

However, I have corrected the painting of the point levers, as shown below.

post-148-0-74840300-1300998687_thumb.jpg

Also, beware of magazines putting ideas in your head! In last months Model Rail, there was an article about GW buses/lorries and 'planes. While in my local shop I spotted the Peco range of kits, so I succumbed and purchased the Thornycroft type PB lorry. Here is the progress so far...

post-148-0-22177400-1300998692_thumb.jpg

The painting need finishing and the transfers added. Beware of the description on the box : it says GWR livery. What it really means is that there are GW transfers inside! It is not pre-painted!!

The last two pics are just for interest...the goods yard looks like business is doing well!

post-148-0-54572700-1300998696_thumb.jpg

post-148-0-29529900-1300998701_thumb.jpg

• Like 9

• RMweb Gold

Hi Chris

Sorry for the delay in replying..

The doors are from Peco, they are sold separately as a detailing pack. I'm afraid I do not have the reference number as the packet went in the bin a long time ago!

I think the pack might contain windows and gutters etc, so you might end up with a few things you don't want/need!

Thank you for your reply. I will look out for them.

Chris

What's left to do - I'm struggling to see; are you going to add any signals and a signal box or does the layout not need them - one engine in steam?

Hi Jon

Thanks for the comment.

There are still quite a few things I need to do, admittedly most are fairly small. I need to add some people; complete the station signage; add some trees or some other vegetation by the cattle dock etc

With regard to the signalling, I originally thought of it as a one engine in steam layout (and wired it accordingly), but I think i might add a small box and appropriate signals. I have the Ration small signal box (plus interior) ready to be built, so watch this space!

Cheers

Jules

Your selection of wagons is something I do like. You have an excellent set of GWR, LMS, LNER, SR and the pre-grouping companies. This is something I feel you don't see often nowadays with layouts because people get a lot of the manufactured models. This is what I feel makes a layout more realistic when you have a mixture of the grouping and pre-grouping rolling stock on a layout.

• Like 1

Hi Gareth

Thanks for the complement.

I probably need a few more open wagons from the Big Four to be a bit more representative, but they will come along in due course..

I probably have a far larger selection of Private Owner wagons than would be seen at a sleepy terminus, but i like them for their local connections. Plus, it's my railway...laugh.gif

Cheers

Jules

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Not so much the layout but a wagon update...

The subject is a PECO Wonderful wagon from the 70's.

It was built by my late Father in about '78 while he was working away from home at Farnborough on some (at the time) top secret items that went bang with a big cloud! To while away some of the time in the hotel he made me a couple of the PECO salt wagons, of which this is the only survivor (not sure what happened to the other).

Unfortunately, he built it with the PECO simplex(?) couplings, and as at the time, and to this day I use tension locks (heathen!). This meant it has seen very little use over the intervening years as it didn't really mix very well.

Although a salt wagon probably isn't very prototypical for a sleepy GW BLT, I decided to take off the old simplex couplings and add some small Bachmann couplings so I can use it a bit more, and finally give it the airing it deservesafter all that effort and thought all those years ago.

So here it is, not the most complex or outstanding piece of modelling to grace these pages but deserving a place in my fleet.

post-148-0-86778100-1302031638_thumb.jpg

post-148-0-87421000-1302031642_thumb.jpg

The original underside

post-148-0-57897300-1302031623_thumb.jpg

The replacement couplings

post-148-0-23045300-1302031627_thumb.jpg

post-148-0-82705000-1302031630_thumb.jpg

post-148-0-37032400-1302031634_thumb.jpg

• Like 10

I probably need a few more open wagons from the Big Four to be a bit more representative, but they will come along in due course..

I probably have a far larger selection of Private Owner wagons than would be seen at a sleepy terminus, but i like them for their local connections. Plus, it's my railway...laugh.gif

Cheers

Jules

Generally speaking the most commonplace wagons, even at a sleepy GWR branch line terminus, were LMS and LNER open merchandise wagons. SR wagons were pretty rare by comparison. PO wagons were usually just those that supplied the local coal merchant(s).

One other thing: I suspect that class A tanks would have been parked as far away from the station buildings as possible, even when empty!

• RMweb Gold

Those inherited bits and stuff that's personal is what model making is all about. Far better than just throwing money at it.

Totally agree. I rather like that salt wagon, it has a lot of character to it. I have a similar one that also has nostalgic value, maybe I should go and dig it out. Thanks for the inspiration Jules.

Hi Chaps, thanks for the interest :

Alan - the PECO under frames and details are rather good for their time, the only disadvantage is that the plastic is soft and flexible and a bit 'soapy'. I think it is a bit like the Dapol plastic underframes. None the less, they still beat hands done anything else from the same period.

Richard - thanks for the additional information, I shall try to balance my big four wagon stock accordingly. I will still run the rather large selection of local coal firms as I like the variety and history. Point noted about the tank wagons biggrin.gif

Mikkel - glad I could provide a bit of inspiration for you smile.gif

Richard - thanks for the additional information, I shall try to balance my big four wagon stock accordingly. I will still run the rather large selection of local coal firms as I like the variety and history. Point noted about the tank wagons biggrin.gif

Hi Jules

Don't forget you can use coal factors' and colliery wagons for those local merchants without their own wagons. That way you can plausibly introduce quite a bit of variety. As for the petrol 'bombs', while I doubt the old railway companies were worried about killing their workers, or even passengers as long as they were 3rd class, damaging company buildings was a definite no-no. :)

PS: I could never get those nylon "springs" to work when I built Peco wagons (about 40 years ago). When the wagon hit a bump the spring compressed.... and stayed compressed until the wretched thing fell off! Nowadays I use guitar strings.