Mayshill - GWR

Jules

Thanks for the kind/encouraging words chaps!

I am quite pleased with the way it has turned out. I wish I had put a curved corner in the corner (!) rather than the right angle, but it might be a bit late for that now. Another lesson learnt!

81C - the cows are on a bit of clear plastic, so none of them are actually stuck down. I think I had just chucked that one there out of the way! I want to repaint them into better colours for the time period - I do not think Fresians (sp?) were common or even present at that time. Another job for the list...

Anyway, because I took them, here are a few more pics!

post-148-0-20783300-1335292574.jpg

Never really noticed that kink in the track before!

post-148-0-01779000-1335292579.jpg

post-148-0-09740700-1335292586.jpg

post-148-0-00763600-1335292591.jpg

This is the next part I want to do something with : I not sure whether to just add some more trees/bushes/livestock, or to bung a cottage or something on there.

post-148-0-91079200-1335292595.jpg

Edited by Jules
Images lost - not on HDD
  • Like 16

Jules,

Goods shed corner looks very much improved....more in keeping with the overall look of the layout ...

Re the field by the cattle dock ......maybe just a stone barn with a corrugated lean-to ....gives some interest and opportunity for detailing without being too much of a contrived cliche' as a cottage + garden might be ...???? less is more sometimes ..

Regards Trevor ... :sungum:

Again, thanks for the kind words and 'likes', they are much appreciated :)

Trevor - I like the idea about the barn, when the rain stops I shall venture out with the camera to photo a few local examples for inspiration.

Cheers

Jules

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Just catching up on some threads, can't believe I've missed so many updates on here! I like what you done with the back corner, it looks a lot better and part of the layout now.

I'm doing the same thing with wagons as you, I have a loads of kits needing to be built up; 2 Parkside LNER vans, a Parkside LNER 5 plank open, a Cambrian LNER 6 plank open, 2 Cambrian LMS 5 plank Opens, a Cambrian SR 8 plank Open, a Slaters MR 3 plank open and a Slater MR cattle van. I also have a couple or rtr vans, Bachmann LMS and SR. Quite a bit to be getting on with!

Hi Ric

Seems like you have a similar set of wagons to build to me!

I have done nothing on the layout in recent weeks - not even played with it. There was a week or so when it was 'packed away' while I had new windows fitted, and I have now moved it into a different room. It is no longer in front of a window (the window is no at the fiddle yard end and gets the earlier sun) so hopefully when there is something to photo, they will turn out a bit better! I gave it a quick run after the move to check it still worked, which fortunately it did.

Jules

Hi Ric

Seems like you have a similar set of wagons to build to me!

I have done nothing on the layout in recent weeks - not even played with it. There was a week or so when it was 'packed away' while I had new windows fitted, and I have now moved it into a different room. It is no longer in front of a window (the window is no at the fiddle yard end and gets the earlier sun) so hopefully when there is something to photo, they will turn out a bit better! I gave it a quick run after the move to check it still worked, which fortunately it did.

Jules

Jules

Looking forward to some more photos, gald to hear the layout moved OK.

Regards,

Les

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hi Jules

I've just had a read through your thread and I'm impressed with the spacious feel you've created in what is obviously quite a small space. You've included some nice detail touches too, particularly the placing of the figures which are in very believable cameos.

I like it a lot.

Personally I wouldn't place a building in the field as I think you would lose some of the spacious feel but instead I would offer the suggestion to add some rougher vegetation and bushes along the length of the fences, more so on the field side of the track, to break them up and maybe a specimen tree either in the corner where the track bends or in the middle of the field itself (or both).

I look forward to seeing what you eventually decide to do. :)

• 2 months later...

I've gone round the bend!

I haven't done much anything to the layout (after from play) for a while now, but I have been doing that dangerous thing of thinking! I have never really liked trains just appearing through the bridge into the station without any 'build up' for want of a better word. In the layouts previous location there was no choice but for this style.

Since moving the layout to a different room, the space to extend it 'round the bend' was there, so after much mental procrastination, I've decided to go for it. It means the part of the scenic bit and the fiddle yard will be in front of the window, but as it is quite narrow at that point (400 mm) I do not have any problem reaching to open them etc. The room only gets the sun first thing in the morning (on the odd occasion it shines) so I don't perceive that being a problem.

The board basically curves the line round (24" radius) to the fiddle yard. If my 'planning' is correct, there should be room for a short siding into the corner, for a small dairy (oh no not another one!).

I have built the new corner board, and I am reusing the old fiddle yard (cassettes).

Here are a couple of snaps of progress so far - the fiddle yard is still to be fitted - now I have warmed up a bit I am going back out into the garage to build the legs for it.

post-148-0-66128300-1352029967.jpg

post-148-0-80733200-1352029972.jpg

Seems like the LMS have been contracted to do the new trackwork...

post-148-0-79002100-1352029978.jpg

Edited by Jules
Images lost - not on HDD
  • Like 14

Hi Jules,

I am unwell today so found myself raking around in areas of RMWEB that I don't normally inhabit. The thing I would like to know is how on earth I missed this absolute gem! I think that the atmosphere, the attention to detail and feel that you have created here is outstanding - well done! I have just spent a very pleasurable hour reading through it all. Thanks for posting it up for us to read.

I now look forward to the results of you going around the bend...

All the best,

Castle

• RMweb Gold

All good GWR/WR layouts should have a dairy it's an excuse/reason to have Siphon and tank wagon trains and don't forget the full brake as well, enjoy building it.

Regards 81C

Mine's obviously no good then :beee: :)

It doesn't matter what you are going to fill the corner with Jules, any additions to Mayshill can only be a good thing.

Looking forward to seeing what you come up with.

Thank you all for the kind words about the existing layout, and the extension.

Apart from the proposed dairy and siding, I am intending on keeping it simple, I think mainly fields (with cows!) and quite a few more trees. I think also a signal cable and a few signals will also be in order.

Castle - thanks for all the 'likes' - when I opened my email I thought I must have got a virus as the inbox doesn't normally show that many new messages!! :)

A little bit of progress...

I had hoped to have the track on the extension down this weekend, but my local model shop didn't have the short Y point and the catch point I require. They should be in early next week hopefully. I have marked the proposed curve and placed the two Peco point templates in position.

So while I am waiting, I have added the extra switch to the control panel - this will operate both the Y and catch points together, and the power feed for the new board. This is connected to the new board by another inelegant d-type connect on the front of the board.

I have also knocked up a card structure to represent the diary to get a better idea of size and space. I think I might lower the apex of the roof a bit, and the boiler house will probably end up at the other end. Anyway, it gives my something to move about and try in different positions!

A couple of snaps to illustrate the words..

post-148-0-48048800-1352563359.jpg

post-148-0-75205300-1352563363.jpg

post-148-0-72822500-1352563353.jpg

Edited by Jules
Images lost - not on HDD
  • Like 8

• 3 weeks later...

A bit of an update...

I have finally got the track down ( 1 small radius Y point and a catch point plus a bit of flexi track), the point motors in and power. I can now run trains again!

I have also put the backscene in place, a lot easier to do it at the start rather than trying to fit it round the scenery!

I have lowered the apex on the dairy mock-up, although the initial build is going to be two Airfix/Dapol single road engine sheds cut about a bit and put together. This may or may not be the final solution, depending on how the kit-bash goes.

Anyway, here are a few pics - the lighting was pretty poor, but they give an idea of what is going on.

post-148-0-10479700-1353943176.jpg

post-148-0-85873300-1353943180.jpg

post-148-0-66214300-1353943185.jpg

post-148-0-30007800-1353943190.jpg

Edited by Jules
Images lost - not on HDD
  • Like 12

Hi Jules

That last view makes the whole extention look much bigger! I can just see a 14xx and autocoach running round the curve towards the station - scope for some great scenery here me thinks. Will the LMS be delivering the ballast etc?

Les

Hi Les

The 14xx will be making a re-appearance, I picked up some replacement wheels at Warley, so fitting them has been added to the list of things to do!

Not sure who has the contract for the ballast, but I think it will probably be GW!

I'm planning on keeping the scenery simple, just gentle rolling fields. On the right hand side I think there will be a small road crossing the line, just in front of a clump on tress hiding the exit to the fiddle yard. I have started putting some cardboard landscape formers in place, so I hope some of the basic landforms will be in place soon-ish

Jules

In the previous post I mentioned the intention to have a minor road crossing near the entrance to the fiddle yard. I have built the crossing keepers cabin from the Wills kit, and added a couple of interior detailing bits to add some character. As this will probably be invisible once the roof is on, here are a couple of snaps.

post-148-0-68477700-1354210031.jpg

post-148-0-11603100-1354210038.jpg

I still have to paint and fit the door, which I will probably leave in the open position, fit the roof and create a name board, and touch in the paint as necessary!

I have some some of the scenic work, and I am currently waiting for the plaster skim to dry, although it looks like there will be quite a lot of crack filling required...

Edited by Jules
Images lost - not on HDD
  • Like 19