Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Fictitious liveries - models, not Photoshopped!

JDW

• 5 weeks later...

I decided to vary the liveries on a couple of my Bachmann class 25s. I have chosen the Intercity executive/mainline style livery (not swallow) similar to the 'Ethel' photo below but with a slight difference. I plan that it is going to be numbered as a 25/5. So the story is, that unlike the Ethel, its traction motors have remained connected. Boiler removed and an extra fuel tank installed. It is used as a celebrity loco, also in regular traffic and rail tours / open days etc. Might even make it a Scotrail loco with the blue and white duplex stripes. Not totally decided on the final details. It has had the Intercity 'Light Grey' (buff) sprayed up and is now masked up ready for the dark grey. 

image.jpg.b58ef3850120df970f9c273fcb3bd36c.jpg

So it could be mostly like this but a 25/5 and possibly with Scotrail decals. 

image.jpg.ad7085d6fb482292bdf182d4a25659d2.jpg

The other 25 is going into Railfreight Red Stripe. It was inspired by the livery as seen on the class 26 below. The livery has had to be altered slightly as the cab side windows are positioned around 3mm lower than the front cab windows. So this has resulted in a deeper black cab window surround on the front windows. Which isn't an issue on the class 26 as all of the window bottoms are parallel.  It is masked up having had the black satin applied. Next step is cover that up and remove the tape for the body and roof Railfreight grey. 

The class 25 is a difficult loco to work with because of the body side panels, grills and the difference in window heights etc. still nothing ventured as the saying goes. Had the class lasted longer into Sectorisation this might have have happen as every depot needs a pet....

image.jpg.9629453be79d160d4d64728c29fd78d0.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 7

Getting there. As above it is a slightly difference livery configuration to the class 26 because of the window layout. Also it needs the yellow band above the windows, that is quite tricky as it is a complex shape with a very narrow band of tape. Next job is large logos on the body sides. 

image.jpg.d08496f1746d60b0afc593c9fb43d79b.jpg

• Like 6

9 minutes ago, Grizz said:

25382 Rail Freight Grey Large Logo. Still needs some work but I ran out of Rail Freight logos for a start.image.jpg.e31a8901adae4b5b3deac70a304157a5.jpg

Looks good Grizz. Just 1 thought (although it's probably too late now), but it might have also worked if the yellow on the end stepped up to below the windscreen despite them being at a different height to the side windows. If you look at the picture of the 26 you posted, the yellow steps up below the centre window rather than staying as a straight line all the way around. Although, that would be a big PITA to mask for spraying!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Looks good, I think the opposite, I like it with the yellow/black division as it is.

As far as things being a PITA to paint go, I suspect that at least part of the reason the yellow/black follows the line of the former nose end doors on the 26 is as much to do with that also being easier to paint, following the lines of the bodywork, than trying to mask off across the nose!

• Like 2

It Cheers Satans Goldfish. I did try to visualise how that step up would look but I came to the same conclusion as JDW regarding why the 26s had this. I spose if I'd used a 25/0 as the victim of this experiment then it would have worked better, although I would have had the same issues with the side windows being positioned lower. 

For the yellow bands above the windows I wanted to try to get around the impossibly small masking required. So using some water slide double yellow lining from a BR 1980s style Royal Mail 'Red' GUV set, I cut them I half down the length to produce a regular single yellow strip. It seemed quite promising, however no matter how I tried it, it was impossible to get it to settle down properly as it curved around the top corner of the cab windows. I will need to play around with it. At present it looks like a plain and simple Large Logo Grey 25/3 rather than the later style of Red Stripe used on the class 26s. It definitely needs something to break up the Black Yellow and Grey tones. Not sure though......

image.jpg.a1d3a849a17604e72a2be6f169397e39.jpg

• Like 4

I've always liked the Scotrail Blue and White Duplex stripe livery, with my first memory of it, as a young man on BR, using my free staff travel hammering along in a MK2 behind a 'Shove Duff' towards Aberdeen. Sadly I never got any decent photos. 

But it how good would this have been. A Scotrail Class 25......

Again not quite finished but I am pleased with it so far.

image.jpg.16798ce4b2b3fdb542e1a73e68dc7f3d.jpgimage.jpg.6de2ae6466c2bdde64462fd83adbcee9.jpg

• Like 10

25382 still needs Railfreight logos, OHLE warning signs and cant rail lines. 25501 still needs ScotRail logo, but I am quite please so far. Got to go transfer shopping though. The trouble with the class 25s is the body sides have various grills, windows and hatches and both sides are different. Not sure if the white ScotRail logo will fit on 25501, between the two windows on the side of the body shown, the other side is fine as there is sufficient length.

Both then need varnish finishing.

Also thinking of putting a white Highland Stag logo on 25502 on the raised panel on the body side, just behind the left hand drivers door???..... anyone got any thoughts?

0CC52503-90AA-4334-B678-8C17D97EEFB9.jpeg.e58fce048c76dd5713bb96f09ec36972.jpeg2603DC79-6E65-4B0A-A598-77B2E3D33184.jpeg.a6447f6d1bcf9e8d15c30c0ce8bc9b2d.jpeg05422110-3A44-4DB8-A278-1346EA227150.jpeg.fb3a10ebbe110b99857fb6a452e105ff.jpeg

• Like 13

• RMweb Premium

I have always liked the Peco N Scale Wagon kits and decided in an alternate timeline that a couple of ex Ford pallet Van's were refurbished for Railfreight traffic...

20200104_170632.jpg.b50a370d9dcb0fae4589f7c45fe53584.jpg

• Like 11

With industrial locomotives (and trains) it is much easier to use fictitious operators and liveries. Many of my industrials have only slightly modified liveries from their originals, but the recent Hornby Ruston DS48 I bought got a complete repaint, apart from the wasp striped ends (which is why I chose this particular model in the first place). The original was in Army green, but I wanted it to match the blue on my (ex-) NCB Peckett. I ended up using NSE dark blue, with a black wash and a coat of satin varnish. It's close, but not identical to the NCB blue.

49337202608_301c692761_b.jpg
P_20200106_161134_vHDR_On by Jeffrey Lynn, on Flickr

49337884352_7cbaf3c60f_b.jpg
P_20200106_161209_vHDR_On by Jeffrey Lynn, on Flickr

• Like 9
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• 2 weeks later...

In early 1992 the BRB sanctioned the building of a batch of coaches that could form the basis of a 'multi use non passenger carrying vehicle'. The end result was an adaptation of the BR MK4 coach body design, which was being built by BREL at the time.

The main difference compared with the standard MK4 coach was as there was no requirement for 'Tilting', the body profile didn't need to be tapered and could therefore accommodate wider internal loading. They were in essence a full length coach and as a non passenger carrying vehicle it was trialed across the sectors of BR in various different roles.

With the BR MK1 BG / Full Brake fleet showing its age and as BR never built any MK2 or MK3 BG/ Full Brake Coaches, they were used as Intercity Sleeper train support coaches / luggage vehicles. They were used for a similar purpose on loco hauled Intercity Cross Country services and also parcels / express mail services used them across the network. They utilised B10 bogies and had four sets of wide opening doors along the body side (the same type as used on the DVT) and had inward opening doors on both sides at each end. 

image.jpg.e03300c73f20da7eb2c3d5b06b8ec626.jpg

image.jpg.125560de68c04679525e8435d9eedbcb.jpg

On the practical side of things, to get the end under frame detail to match the centre under frame detail required the couplings to be mounted on the body. But this created problems as the coupling still needed to move to accommodate curves and crossovers. I took a pair of standard Bachmann straight couplings and drilled two tiny holes through the flexible part at the back of the NEM pocket. Then super glued some 0.5mm brass wire through and into the under frame. Another piece of brass wire was fixed horizontally at each end, through the under frame detail and under the bottom of the coupling, to prevent the really irritating occurrence of 'coupling droop'.

image.jpg.dc45d42fe91f97a509df8593d1ca2052.jpg

image.jpg.292e70918aa47e68fb89fa3078c7cc8b.jpg

It is going to be re-painted in Intercity livery following various modifications to the body sides and the roof.  

• Like 9

• 2 weeks later...

IMGP0042a.JPG.0241531fd1ad39ace981fc51726711f4.JPG

Just an open wagon, this one is to commemorate the Ayr Valley Railway, a narrow gauge layout featured in a series in the late 1960s to 70s in the Railway Modeller, can anyone provide the exact date?

It was a point to point layout starting and ending in termini and there was a branch.

Lots of scratch building and it came with a history. This model is made from a Cambrian Kits 5 planker with round ends.

The letters could be a bit bigger for easier reading, the R was a P with the tail made with a spec of another transfer letter as I had run out of Rs.

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, relaxinghobby said:

IMGP0042a.JPG.0241531fd1ad39ace981fc51726711f4.JPG

Just an open wagon, this one is to commemorate the Ayr Valley Railway, a narrow gauge layout featured in a series in the late 1960s to 70s in the Railway Modeller, can anyone provide the exact date?

It was a point to point layout starting and ending in termini and there was a branch.

It was the Aire Valley Railway and the 19 articles ran from April 1961 to November 1976.

HTH

Moxy

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

A few years ago when Tornado was about to take to the rails the Railway Magazine ran an April fools day spoof that the A1's named after the pre-grouping constituents of the LNER were intended by the new British Railways to be finished in the appropiate livery to the names that they carried. Great Central, Great Eastern, Great Northern and North Eastern. I would like to revive the idea in model form but the wallet says no.

• Like 1

On ‎04‎/‎02‎/‎2020 at 12:40, PhilJ W said:

A few years ago when Tornado was about to take to the rails the Railway Magazine ran an April fools day spoof that the A1's named after the pre-grouping constituents of the LNER were intended by the new British Railways to be finished in the appropiate livery to the names that they carried. Great Central, Great Eastern, Great Northern and North Eastern. I would like to revive the idea in model form but the wallet says no.

I have seen this and someone doing a photoshop of one A1 in Great Central livery. However, my 'New North Eastern Railway' gets very close in concept as it takes the Darlington Green colour of the older North Eastern Railway and then lines them out in British Railways guise.

A link to that earlier in the thread is here:

The fleet has since grown so that this NER style British Railways has been adopted as the house colour. The engines so far included in this are: 60164 Northern Star, 60540 Thunderbolt, 60603 Marquis of Londonderry / Fighting Charlie, 67803 and 71003 Duke of Richmond. Most of these have been detailed in this thread - though probably need to include more on the Dukes.

Meanwhile the next model I have done is:

Something novel,
Something new,
Something retro,
Something blue...

• Like 2