Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Fictitious liveries - models, not Photoshopped!

JDW

On 11 February 2020 at 05:16, GJE52 said:

Just a sort of fictitious 43/47 "cut and shut" I guess. I have no idea what to call it ..... Class 42 or Class 46 .. ?

It will be used to haul my Rivera Sleeper Service

IMG_0771.jpg

IMG_0767.jpg

IMG_0776.jpg

Wow what a great job you've done. Particularly like the details of the livery.

I believe that the TOPS loco class numbering system has a gap at Class 49....

49001??? Although the /0 type could be reserved for a freight version.

Maybe ETH fitted 49401 or 49601 or long range fuel tanks 49801? 

As it looks like it's been designed as Push / Pull fitted, possibly to run with a short rake and a DBSO or a DVT perhaps it should be 49701???  :)

IMHO it would look great with short rake of Chocolate and Cream MK2 D/E/Fs and a DVT in the same green livery. Hornby MK4 DVT body's are going for a £1 on a well known auction site ATM.    

• Like 3
  • Agree 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, Grizz said:

As it looks like it's been designed as Push / Pull fitted, possibly to run with a short rake and a DBSO or a DVT perhaps it should be 49701???  :)

IMHO it would look great with short rake of Chocolate and Cream MK2 D/E/Fs and a DVT in the same green livery. Hornby MK4 DVT body's are going for a £1 on a well known auction site ATM.    

Could you graft the other '47' cab onto a brake coach for a DVT with a matching look :D

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 1

9 hours ago, Grizz said:

Any chance of a 3/4 view?

• Like 1

Is this the sort of views you are asking for ?

I have not installed the lights yet as I am still researching the most suitable method. The detailing is down to Railtec waterslide transfers.  

IMG_1887.JPG

IMG_4135.JPG

IMG_7739.JPG

IMG_4268.JPG

IMG_4956.JPG

Edited by GJE52
  • Like 12
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

Thanks for the suggestions regarding numbering. 

Could you graft the other '47' cab onto a brake coach for a DVT with a matching look

I am currently creating a short rake of Mk4 coaches in GWR livery and the idea is to have a single Class 43 power car +3 coaches plus a Driving Coach .

IMG_4985.JPG

IMG_8777.JPG

Edited by GJE52
  • Like 18

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Here is my efforts from some years ago. a Railfreight class 29.

I parted with this model some years ago to a member of a previous incarnation of RMWeb. Are you still there and do you still have it? I have no idea who it was but it was on RMWEB.

this was one of my earliest repaints. I have improved since then.

anyway. here it is, doesn't look all that bad.

1804_29_1_1.jpg

1804_29_2_1.jpg

• Like 12
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

4 hours ago, eldomtom2 said:

And I see you've had some fun with renumbering your Class 66 to the Number of the Beast as well!

Yes, it has been purchased by a new rolling stock spot hire and leasing company. Renumbered to 66 666, as the number is available, and it is planned to be suitably adorned with the company logo, decals and named.  The company plans to purchase a MK1 BG Generator coach to allow any of its fleet to power passenger stock, rail tours etc when required. 

Edited by Grizz
Auto correct demons
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

I now have both the r-t-r 00 Hogwarts Castles (The Hall and the Castle) and I want to retain the liveries for both*. Renaming Olton Hall to the correct name is straightforward, just buy and fit a set of nameplates. It may seem odd to some but I am happy to keep the name for the Castle Castle but want to renumber it to a genuine Castle number that fits the model. Is 4073 (in reality Caerphilly Castle) a suitable number for the base model.

I ask as I am not an expert on the minutiae  of GWR locomotives and want the number to match what the loco would look like if it was actually in green.

* In my adaptation of the H Potter series there is more than one Hogwarts Rail locomotive.

Edited by john new
To make better sense.
  • Like 4

• RMweb Gold

AFAIK yes, but I'm happy to be corrected.  I believe this tooling derives from the original Airfix/GMR Caerphilly/Pendennis (GW and BR livery respectively) and as such represent the first 3 lots series of Castles as built, that is 4073-5012.  But beware, Muggle!  I am no HP expert, but AFAIK they are set at the time that they were written by Ms Rowling, the Muggle 80s and 90s, but seem to represent an alternative non-Muggle universe occupying the same space/time but appearing with early 1960s icons. like 105E Ford Anglias.  There is of course no reason why the Potter world should not represent different Muggletimes simultaneously, but the 105E Anglia suggests early '60s and is already a few years old when Harry and Ron fly in it, isn't it?  If this is true we have a temporal anomaly (as Ford Prefect said in Hitchhiker's, Eddie's in the space time continuum; 'oh, and that's his sofa, is it?' answers Arthur Dent), as by 1963 Castles had been concentrated on the Worcester/Hereford trains, and Hogwart's is a bit Caledonian for that.  Moreover, Kings X, location of platform 9¾, had gone over more or less completely to diesel for Scottish expresses from 1962.

I mention this because any Castles still running, even at the time setting of Philospher's Stone never mind 7 years later when Harry and co graduate Hogwart's , will have been in it's later BR condition, and some of the detail differences on later locos were applied to the first tranche of Castles by that time.  I'd suggest, especially as you are using a non-Muggle livery which is based on a red version of the actual BR green passenger loco livery, itself derived from the GW's, that Rule 1 be applied and you don't worry about it too much.  You are going to be modelling 4073 Caerphilly Castle in late BR condition but in Hogwart's livery, yes?  The main difference between 4073 as built in 1923 and as withdrawn is the tender; the loco was built with a 3,500 gallon Collett tender which was replaced by a higher sided 4.000 gallon version later.  The model has the 4.000 gallon tender and this is what all Castles had in BR days.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Thank you. Not being a GWR modeller apart from the obvious single/double chimney issues I didn’t want to be too far off the mark.

The HP world I concur has both JKR’s canon and the other adaptations, so we already have possibilities for a Castle (from the name), a Hall from the films and a rebuilt West Country from the film’s pre-release publicity tour. Also no diesels yet at the HP side of K Cross as magic kills their electric control gear. The image, of a sort of 4F derived loco, on Wizarding World/Pottermore adds even more confusion.

However, I doubt this thread is the place to academically debate adaptation theory!

Edited by john new
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, The Johnster said:

I am no HP expert, but AFAIK they are set at the time that they were written by Ms Rowling, the Muggle 80s and 90s

The books are set between 1991 and 1998. The films, which of course Hornby's model is based on, exist at some point later than it, in some bizarre realm where GNER was the East Coast TOC for 24 years and you get to King's Cross via the Midland Grand Hotel.

• Like 2
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
11 minutes ago, john new said:

Thank you. Not being a GWR modeller apart from the obvious single/double chimney issues I didn’t want to be too far off the mark.

The HP world I concur has both JKR’s canon and the other adaptations, so we already have possibilities for a Castle (from the name), a Hall from the films and a rebuilt West Country from the film’s pre-release publicity tour and early edition book covers. Also no diesels yet at the HP side of K Cross as magic kills their electric control gear. The image, of a sort of 4F derived loco, on Wizarding World/Pottermore adds even more confusion.

However, I doubt this thread is the place to academically debate adaptation theory!

My own Fan-fic story based on the HP railway scenarios is here on the Ao3 story site.

Edited by john new
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 02/10/2018 at 22:19, simon b said:

How about 47702 in weathered Mainline freight blue? 

I cant take credit for the repaint on this, bought on ebay with damage to the cabs which I've repaired. I think it looks great, and can normally be found top and tailing a ballast train with my NSE 47711.

post-24155-0-37707600-1538515052_thumb.jpg

Mainline Freight livery fan already this looks great 

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

While I don't have any models at the moment besides a single Rio Grande hopper car, I've kind of wanted to take a model of Humorist (full smoke deflectors) and paint it in weathered BR freight black, as though BR kept steam into the early seventies for freight trains. Because I have little respect for the sacred things. I've tried it out in a railsim with an example train and I thought it looked kinda nice, if unholy.

To go above and beyond, I considered giving it Flying Scotsman's number and nameplates. Still might, actually.

On 26/03/2020 at 11:35, john new said:

The HP world I concur has both JKR’s canon and the other adaptations, so we already have possibilities for a Castle (from the name), a Hall from the films and a rebuilt West Country from the film’s pre-release publicity tour. Also no diesels yet at the HP side of K Cross as magic kills their electric control gear. The image, of a sort of 4F derived loco, on Wizarding World/Pottermore adds even more confusion.

My own Fan-fic story based on the HP railway scenarios is here on the Ao3 story site.

Hey, I did my own one of those too, starring a young Arthur Weasley in 1963, though in it they swap out for a more appropriate locomotive for being kept at King's Cross. It's not anything particularly good, hopefully it's nothing awful though.

Edited by lepidotos
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold
On 28/05/2020 at 04:00, lepidotos said:

While I don't have any models at the moment besides a single Rio Grande hopper car, I've kind of wanted to take a model of Humorist (full smoke deflectors) and paint it in weathered BR freight black, as though BR kept steam into the early seventies for freight trains. Because I have little respect for the sacred things. I've tried it out in a railsim with an example train and I thought it looked kinda nice, if unholy.

To go above and beyond, I considered giving it Flying Scotsman's number and nameplates. Still might, actually.

Hey, I did my own one of those too, starring a young Arthur Weasley in 1963, though in it they swap out for a more appropriate locomotive for being kept at King's Cross. It's not anything particularly good, hopefully it's nothing awful though.

Good read Lepidotos.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Recent discussions about Mk1's converted to other non passenger use saw me come across a picture of a former Exhibition Train Mk1 in plain white.

This set me thinking and finding in my bits box enough parts for a whole Graham Farish Mk1, I decided to put them together to produce a plain white example that had been purloined by my local little branch line and repurposed as a training vehicle or similar. 

The number, 99615 is that of a proposed exhibition coach conversion that was cancelled so a liberal coating of Rule 1 here.

20200604_115303.jpg.e8802cfa1a944a258885bf6e175cf523.jpg

It will be weathered down a little before taking up residence in a yard somewhere. 

• Like 9

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

The start of a completely fictional but quite plausible* 58007 in Colas Rail livery. Seen a few 70s in our Depot recently and wanted to see how it would look on the class 58.

* Seco Rail operates 58007, hence why I’ve gone for that particular example

193B4CDE-008C-46C6-A0D9-1B3F3D3A06AD.jpeg

• Like 10

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Vanguard 5374 said:

The start of a completely fictional but quite plausible* 58007 in Colas Rail livery. Seen a few 70s in our Depot recently and wanted to see how it would look on the class 58.

* Seco Rail operates 58007, hence why I’ve gone for that particular example

193B4CDE-008C-46C6-A0D9-1B3F3D3A06AD.jpeg

Looks great, I'm surprised that it hasn't happened on the real thing yet.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1