Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Fictitious liveries - models, not Photoshopped!

JDW

On 21/03/2021 at 18:31, Grizz said:

So the plan to fictitiously invent a Mk2F Sleeper continues. The back story for the prototype so far is, BREL had a spare MK2F FO, just like me except mine was made by Lima.:laugh:..

My coach was originally a Lima Mk2F FO Scotrail, it then was converted to a DTSO for experimental purposes in June 1994. Then to a Research Department technical coach in 2010..until finally in 2021 a MK2 Sleeper.

BREL fitted the coach with B5 bogies....mostly because for now I have run out of Replica B4s...:nea:

The interior is scratch built. It has 7 compartments, each with two single beds on each side of of the compartment. These beds are convertible to ‘Day Coach’ seating format. To that end the majority of the corridor wall is made from toughen glass, with long full length, floor to ceiling curtains to facilitate the two formats. The curtains are a heavy, thicker version of the standard ‘BR Orange’ ones. 

The toilets were removed and converted into additional wide opening doors for disabled and servicing access. 

BREL painted the outside of the coach into standard BR Blue and Grey, with Inter-City Sleeper branding and numbered the coach 88646. So whilst strictly speaking BR B&G livery isn’t fictitious, it kinda is because they never built a MK2 sleeper. 

9FF91546-83A8-4680-B17B-B34D3B983319.jpeg.857b7433d5a647dd6cbefd9a5a22ef9e.jpeg

299D6B01-3F73-4847-84F4-B027438ABD59.jpeg.32c1a166a99c6de14af1fcdce37663cc.jpeg

FCFC9422-6957-497F-BB4A-A73117308A34.jpeg.7bae52ff6f6020a3a99de5c690875387.jpeg

The coach will eventually be fitted with Laserglaze windows. I used orange felt for the curtains. The interior wall isn’t finished yet. 

Please @Grizz post more details if possible. I'm already mucking about with wibbly-wobbly timey-wimey type stuff to backdate a class 92 into the transitional era, and just realised that your vision of Mk2 based sleeper coaches would look terrific behind it!

Mind you, I shall possibly put them in all maroon livery, maybe even gasp Pullman as Pullman Sleeper coaches ... in my alternate universe, the corporate branding lot are laughed at and kicked out of the door and so "rail blue" was never adopted! 

I think I am going slightly mad in the heat ... I've even started looking at the class 54 HST and wondered what that would look like as an electric powered loco, 3rd rail and OHLE like the class 92 ... we even have a Nanking blue version to steal the livery from ... (cos that ain't rail blue ... ha ha ha, tee hee, chortle)

Nurse! Fetch me my sedative!

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

This is on Ebay at the moment, a class 47 in large logo parcels red. Done properly it could look quite smart.

spacer.png

Edited by simon b
  • Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Here is my Comet Models Royal Scot. rebuilt and refurbished, and i finished it in fictional Mixed traffic Lined black. research i conducted showed no rebuilt scot ever carried this livery. This model is now on ebay. 

image2.jpeg

image3.jpeg

image1.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

Er, 46143 and 46168, and possibly others were painted in lined black in 1948/9. I have photos. Your splasher lining is incorrect, the cream/grey line did not continue along the bottom of the splasher face except on the Western and Southern Regions.

Ian R

Edited by Ian Rathbone
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

On 02/07/2021 at 22:40, Ian Rathbone said:

Er, 46143 and 46168, and possibly others were painted in lined black in 1948/9. I have photos. Your splasher lining is incorrect, the cream/grey line did not continue along the bottom of the splasher face except on the Western and Southern Regions.

Ian R

46143 i have only seen in this livery as an original boiler fitted Scot, not a rebuilt one.  Did a rebuilt Scot carry this livery, with deflectors fitted?

there may be some errors in livery application but then this is a 'fictional livery' page!

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

I was going to say if you had done it prototypically you'd have been kicked off the thread ;) 

Joking aside I do like the subtle variations on what really happened.

Edited by Corbs
  • Like 2

• 2 months later...

Morning all. it’s been a while since I’ve visited here. Hope all well with Y’all? 

This has always been one of my favourite subjects, albeit with my own particular interests within the genre. 
Mine is mainly British Rail / Sectorisation / What might have been sectorisation / what might have been privatisations etc. Anyway basically diesel / electric / units / loco hauled coaching stock / freight etc etc. 

On this basis I was asked by a friend of my son if I would create a fictitious Caledonian livery for a Class 68. He supplied the excellent Railtec decals for 68030, with name plates for ‘Black Douglas’. I have posted this in brief form on the ‘Early Risers’ thread recently as it was what I was doing that day, but I thought that I would also post it here as it is more topical.

Using the spare Dapol Class 68 body supplied took off all the extra bits and bobs, removed the glazing and used ultra fine Emery paper and soap and water to flatten and strip the body. The nearest real world loco in Caledonian livery was a Class 67, this was the primary basis. I used the original yellow warning panel colour, which to my mind is a bit washed out, however this is meant to be a loco on semi permanent hire to Caledonian so some reference to the previous company’s identity is sort of fictionally real….if that makes sense?…..

It was then primed with Halfords grey, with the yellow half ends masked. The Caledonian blue paint was from Rainbow Railways range and it was the first time I’d used one of their products. Mixing it  70/30 white spirit to paint through my airbrush it was easy to use and finished well, taking 6 light coats to build up the colour to a good deep blue. 
Then it was a 80/20 white spirit / Screwfix Gloss yachting varnish, built up in 8 light coats. This was left for a week to harden, probably slightly longer than I need to but better safe than sorry.
The Railtec water slide transfers were then applied over the next week. Now those who know me well will be surprised by this because ‘Unlike Dr Kildare….I’m not known for my patience’…………….Mmmmm……..”I’ll get my coat”.

Anyway here are the results so far. It still needs all the bits and bobs and glazing put back but I am pleased with it. It looks plausible to me. More importantly the chap concerned is pleased with it. Finally the results have now prompted my son and I to start planning a GWR Class 68, with a matching rake MK2 Air Con Coaches, with a what might have been MK2 full brake. 

Here is 68030 with a first satin varnish finish. 

F86A43C7-6563-4434-BD5C-45DA643DB562.jpeg.eec144d601307e8baba812ca99588814.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi! New here.

As I'm a fan of video games, I had the idea of making wagon liveries based on fictitious companies in games (think Vault-Tec from Fallout, the UAC from Doom, etc.). I'm currently working on a van with a livery based on the artstyle found in Team Fortress 2 - muted colours with visible patches of more saturated colours, visible brush strokes, and the like. Here's the roof (again, the brush strokes are intentional, i'm trying to replicate a video game's art style, not making a realistic paint job).

FAfiSruXEAYvISm.jpg.012e9baf04ad072b9b3d105c68af07f8.jpg

Probably going to make a BLU-team van, and then afterwards, a RED-team mineral wagon with gravel in it (as gravel is considered by the leaders of the game's two main factions to be the most valuable thing ever).

I have some vague plans for more wagons down the line, including an Aperture Science gel tanker.

• Like 3
  • Round of applause 1

On 01/10/2021 at 18:22, DudeTheNinja said:

Hi! New here.

As I'm a fan of video games, I had the idea of making wagon liveries based on fictitious companies in games (think Vault-Tec from Fallout, the UAC from Doom, etc.). I'm currently working on a van with a livery based on the artstyle found in Team Fortress 2 - muted colours with visible patches of more saturated colours, visible brush strokes, and the like. Here's the roof (again, the brush strokes are intentional, i'm trying to replicate a video game's art style, not making a realistic paint job).

FAfiSruXEAYvISm.jpg.012e9baf04ad072b9b3d105c68af07f8.jpg

Probably going to make a BLU-team van, and then afterwards, a RED-team mineral wagon with gravel in it (as gravel is considered by the leaders of the game's two main factions to be the most valuable thing ever).

I have some vague plans for more wagons down the line, including an Aperture Science gel tanker.

I rather like this idea- how about a flat like a weltrol or bogie-bolster, and have it loaded with Weighted Companion Cubes? (Dice with clay detailing?). A loco with the Apperture design ethic might look good- something like a 68 in white, with emphasised black/grey panel lines, and windscreens blanked off with maybe a glowing LED 'eye' implying AI control?

• Like 5

9 hours ago, Alex TM said:

Or it's a 1st generation Cylon 'toaster'.

A lot of early American streamlined stuff, all those silver-chromed early diesels and observation cars -stuff like the Burlington Zephyr- already looks like the Cylons were on the design panel ;)

Back onto British stock... In the early (Patrick Troughton-era) "Dr.Who" story 'The Invasion' there's sidings full of standard BR goods vans with the International Electromatics (front company for the Cybermen) branding, which must count as very late private-owner wagons on BR in context of the story timeline;

https://thedoctorwhosite.co.uk/cybermen/mondas/

If you scroll down, there's a thumbnail of a van with the loco- would be reasonably easy I'd have thought to do as a home-made transfer.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

Oops, forgot to share the completed wagon, with weathering, "ambient occlusion" (since the models in TF2 have ambient occlusion in the raw texture images rather than being done on the fly) and BLU-team insignia! :)

bluvan_fin_2.jpg.20cbb13df0794a660a865a50721ef894.jpgbluvan_fin_3.jpg.34660a69c42a0e3adcfff12e089fa1dc.jpg

Pretty happy with how it turned out. Everything was done by hand, well, er, brush. I've made a start on a RED-team mineral wagon, which'll have its load repainted to be a reddish dusty sand-gravel, just like the environment the game's maps tend to be set in.

Edited by DudeTheNinja
fixing image that was broken as a result of migration
  • Like 3

• 1 month later...

Finally got round to doing another - this time the RED wagon I promised I'd do.

redwagon.jpg.affaf703cda03ea90a80579be3d99cbf.jpg

Probably going to do something a bit more "real world" next - thinking of painting up an old Tri-ang Jinty in BR Rail Blue, kinda like if it were still in use as a shunter alongside the 08s in the TOPS era.

Edited by DudeTheNinja
fixing image that was broken as a result of migration
  • Like 4
  • Funny 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
On 10/06/2021 at 23:30, SteveyDee68 said:

Please @Grizz post more details if possible. I'm already mucking about with wibbly-wobbly timey-wimey type stuff to backdate a class 92 into the transitional era, and just realised that your vision of Mk2 based sleeper coaches would look terrific behind it!

Mind you, I shall possibly put them in all maroon livery, maybe even gasp Pullman as Pullman Sleeper coaches ... in my alternate universe, the corporate branding lot are laughed at and kicked out of the door and so "rail blue" was never adopted! 

I think I am going slightly mad in the heat ... I've even started looking at the class 54 HST and wondered what that would look like as an electric powered loco, 3rd rail and OHLE like the class 92 ... we even have a Nanking blue version to steal the livery from ... (cos that ain't rail blue ... ha ha ha, tee hee, chortle)

Nurse! Fetch me my sedative!

apologies for dragging this up from last year but i've just seen this. In a discussion about the Mk3 sleepers i posted this:

"The mk2 sleeper is mentioned in the Harris book. To paraphrase:

Around 1964, before all mk1 sleepers had entered service, BR were concerned about the Sleeper business. The need for adaptabilty according to demand led to the mk1 SLE conversions where berths could be set as 1st or 2nd class. A mock-up appeared in 1965 and the financial approval granted in 1967.

Consideration came next to Sleepers which had convertible class, air-conditioning, improved soundproofing and chemical-retention toilets.

An outline proposal was submitted in early 1968 for a 'mk2B' 66ft. vehicle with 10 convertible berths (each w/ toilet compt.). A mock-up was recommended but it was made clear that drawings for a full prototype could not be considered before early 1972.

This project eventually led to the new mk3 Sleepers (obviously without individual toilets)."

Hope it's of interest.

BTW there's nothing to stop you plating over/painting out etc. a window layout (on a Mk2 or 3) that's already there i.e. using redundant Mk2f FO - the problem is the other way round when you need to cut new window spaces into an existing bodyshell, this will weaken the integral body strength as designed.

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1

31 minutes ago, 6990WitherslackHall said:

A new take on the 50149 story...

More an imagination on Fragonset getting more hire-ins as it would have remained standard 50 given ETH still in use. But do think 50s are a topic that can have a back-story easily edited to include stuff like this and 50149 helps start that rolling. I think my Regional railways 50 is near the front of this thread too. 

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know if this counts, (I'll delete it if it doesn't fit the rules) but I was sorting out some cupboards in the clubroom on Tuesday night and came across these two:

IMG_20220215_192632_216.jpg.5cd8b927179bff142572234308ef76f4.jpg

The railway isn't fictional but the livery is. I think they were made especially to promote the NYMR along with a cattle van in the same livery. No wagons carrying this livery actually exist.

Edited by 6990WitherslackHall
  • Like 8

On 17/02/2022 at 16:58, 6990WitherslackHall said:

I don't know if this counts, (I'll delete it if it doesn't fit the rules) but I was sorting out some cupboards in the clubroom on Tuesday night and came across these two:

The railway isn't fictional but the livery is. I think they were made especially to promote the NYMR along with a cattle van in the same livery. No wagons carrying this livery actually exist.

I've got a few fictional livery's. Trotters Independent Traders probably my favourite. I've got the NYMR ones too :)

• Like 3

On 17/02/2022 at 15:58, 6990WitherslackHall said:

I'd say it counts. It's not a prototypical livery, after all.

I have something similar that I got from the Kent and East Sussex as a kid. Seems that Dapol do them as commissioned models, and a couple of preserved railways are among the list of clients they've worked with before (in OO).

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
On 17/02/2022 at 15:58, 6990WitherslackHall said:

2 minutes ago, DudeTheNinja said:

I'd say it counts. It's not a prototypical livery, after all.

I have something similar that I got from the Kent and East Sussex as a kid. Seems that Dapol do them as commissioned models, and a couple of preserved railways are among the list of clients they've worked with before (in OO).

They are surprisingly cheap to produce. The wagons are in stock in various finishes/colours and tampo printing pads can be used on several hundred models and are relatively cheap. I investigated this a few years ago on behalf of my MRC and I was amazed at how cheap it was. Also a surprize was Dapol's minimum order was only 48. All you have to do is decide what goes on the side of the wagon.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 5