Lion Heart Trains RTR in O gauge

steve fay

I spotted that too.

I was hoping it would be as competitively priced as thier pannier, but that seems unlikely now.

I was thinking the same. It seems as though they have changed manufacturing companies as well as the pannier was built in china using a lot of injection molded plastic now this one is in Korea using what looks to be all brass construction.

I wonder if Dapols entry has any thing to do with it.

Interesting to see how it compares in price and quality compared to the Tower brass offering. Not sure such duplication is healthy in such a limited market, but I wait to be surprised!

Interesting to see how it compares in price and quality compared to the Tower brass offering. Not sure such duplication is healthy in such a limited market, but I wait to be surprised!

This is a really difficult one to address. In larger scales like O, certain prototypes like shunters, tanks engines and smaller mainline classes clearly offer larger potential sales. Running a Pacific + 12 in O gauge usually means you are building in the garden or own a major record label. ;)

I was thinking the same. It seems as though they have changed manufacturing companies as well as the pannier was built in china using a lot of injection molded plastic now this one is in Korea using what looks to be all brass construction.

I wonder if Dapols entry has any thing to do with it.

Hmmm, perhaps a change in manufactuer will help keep the cost down. Hopefully quality won't suffer, the 64xx and 74xx are works of art.

I have a feeling that the O gauge market is going to get very interesting when the new Dapol catalogue is released.

I know we shouldnt speculate but I wonder if they are going into brass models because of the possible competition from Dapol.

I did have a lion heart 64 pannier and it was superb but If Dapol are to release a particular GWR loco for under £250 and of course there 08 for £170 and it is of a comparable quality then you have to ask why the BIG difference in price.

I only sold my pannier because it was not suitable for my Ranelagh Bridge project not because of any issues. In my opinion it has the best steam DCC sound Ive heard.

Southall had a few 45XXs in the 60s and they used them on empty coaching stock turns so I will be watching with interest.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

In the news section of their website Lionheart informs us that the 4575 will now be produced with the 4500 rather than later, this as a result of another company announcing a 4575. there is a slight delay as  production now hits chinese new year (that's how it is).

Does anyone know who the other company is?

• 2 months later...

From the news section of the Lionheart website, the production Prairies have been built and are being airfreighted over currently. Richard has hand carried some production samples back with him, which I believe he is intending to display (and hopefully demonstrate on the test track) at the GlosG0G show at Hardwicke, Gloucester this Sunday.

• 3 weeks later...

Not long back from seeing Richard and collecting my new 45XX in the shape of 4508.

And a nice little number it is. Looks good, runs well, sounds very nice.

I only have my little 2 metre long test layout here in my apartment so not able to give it a good run but from what I have seen so far it will be even better when I get it home to my bigger layout.

Here are a few snaps I did on my iPhone. Not exactly brilliant but at least you can see that this is another great model from Richard at Lionheart Trains.

The packaging is excellent, sturdy and supports the loco well.

post-6682-0-70766400-1398363144.jpg

A nice touch inside, no pun intended, is a pair of cotton gloves to handle your new purchase.

post-6682-0-75641800-1398363167.jpg

Inside again the loco is well wrapped and protected.

post-6682-0-44823800-1398363195.jpg

The loco.

post-6682-0-46510600-1398363221.jpg

post-6682-0-91862900-1398363245.jpg

post-6682-0-27189600-1398363275.jpg

Also in the box is a loco crew for the user to fit inside the cab which is made easy by removing the cab roof which is held in place by some small strong magnets.

So what next for Lionheart. Will be interesting !

Zimo DCC sound decoder on board. Will be interesting to see how it compares to the Loksound V4 range of decoders I have in all my other O Gauge locos.

One function that is missing on the Zimo in the loco is volume control on a function button. I have found it very useful on my Loksound based locos as I take them from home to exhibitions, demos and back again.

I need to strap the loco to a PC interface and see what's on the inside of the Zimo and makes it tick. :senile:

No, its not a sound fault, its just a saying

Not long back from seeing Richard and collecting my new 45XX in the shape of 4508.

attachicon.gif

So what next for Lionheart. Will be interesting !

Hi Andy

Nice looking loco, I was talking to Richard at the Newport show when I picked up my 64xx and asked that question, the next loco will probably be a 43xx

Ian

Archived