Lion Heart Trains RTR in O gauge

steve fay

• RMweb Premium

Perhaps an aficionado of GWR coaching stock can tell me if the 'Birmingham' sets got spread about a bit after 1948? I have one on pre-order ('cos I'm lazy), so it would be useful to know if there are any reasons why they could not run around North Wales and Borders.

Not specifically, but I have seen a photograph of a Taunton set at Cirencester Town, so it's not inconceivable.

My enquiry is genuine, Larry. Everybody is referring to a 'B set', and I don't know what they mean.

The GWR built non-corridor brake composites to be coupled together in pairs to form what they termed 'B' sets. The bow-ended stock as modelled by Lionheart/Dapol were built in the 1920's and were close coupled with no inner buffers. They ran on 7' bogies. The flat ended 'B' set stock built in the 1930's had short buffers on the inner end, although some were built with long buffers both ends for working as normal brake composites. These mostly ran on pressed steel bogies except for those running on the Looe Branch (7'). The bow-enders lasted until around 1962, while the flat end 'B' sets lasted until circa 1965. There was one set working the Oswestry- Llanfyllin service almost if not right up to closure of that branch..

I think we are talking at cross-purposes here, Larry. Birmingham division did not have 2-coach B sets, as other divisions did. So I assume that when Lionheart says "The Great Western 'B' set coaches including the London 'A' sets and the Birmingham 'D' sets are at the final sampling stage", they mean all of these are 4- or 5-coach sets. Which leaves me uncertain on Steve's reference to '2 car set'.

• RMweb Premium

They are producing a 4 coach set (2 x D109 brake with windows in the end, sandwiching 2 x E141 composites) which they are calling Birmingham division B sets and London division A sets. 

Plus a two coach set (E140 without end windows) which they are calling Bristol division B sets and Birmingham / Worcester division D sets.

I think I recall reading that the 4 coach sets were broken up and filtered around the system as single coaches later on so, for example, there are many photos of what I think is a "window ended" D109 at Coombe junction, which I had always assumed was from a broken up 4 coach set rather than built as a single.

I'm getting confused now! I had always thought that B sets were pairs (sometimes semi-permanently coupled) of brake compos - seemingly not! LOL.

So have I got it right?

Brake composites of diags E129, E140, or E147 were formed into the 2 car B sets?  Were there any others?

E140's had bow ends, recessed guards' doors and ran on 7' bogies whereas E147's had flat ends and 9' bogies.

E129's and E147's were semi-permanently coupled (the former with a centre buffer/coupler, the latter with short side buffers and a drawbar). Were the E140's also coupled similarly?

Were the 4 car sets of 2x D109 & 2x D141 also semi-permanently coupled?  If so when the sets were broken up in the mid 50's they must have been rebuilt with ordinary drawgear.

Despite what it says on the JLRT website a pair of D98 brake thirds does not constitute a B set!

Is it my imagination that, once you discount the unavailable Blacksmith range and the CPL "etches only", there is quite a dearth of Collett non-corridors and almost no Hawksworth ones in 7mm scale.

BTW does anyone know where the former range of Sidelines G.W. carriage kits went? More questions than answers this time, I'm afraid.

Cheers,

Ray.

• RMweb Premium

Brake composites of diags E129, E140, or E147 were formed into the 2 car B sets?  Were there any others?

E140's had bow ends, recessed guards' doors and ran on 7' bogies whereas E147's had flat ends and 9' bogies.

E129's and E147's were semi-permanently coupled (the former with a centre buffer/coupler, the latter with short side buffers and a drawbar). Were the E140's also coupled similarly?

Also E145 - basically an E140 but on 9ft bogies (photos in Russell appendix vol 1). Have a look back at page 4 of this thread - the drawing seems to suggest the E140 has short inner buffers.

It can go along side my Deltic with 8 plank private owners wagons. :jester:

Why not, it's your train set! :jester:

On a more sensible note I do find the arrangements around the Dapol/Lionheart tie up quite confusing. If I had a deposit/money committed I'd want complete clarification on the status. Maybe I'm naive but can that order simply be transferred to another company without the buyers say so?

• RMweb Premium

On a more sensible note I do find the arrangements around the Dapol/Lionheart tie up quite confusing.

Worked out great for me so far, joined the Dapol Collectors Club (didn't know there was one!) and saw an offer for members for Dapol POW wagons, only £30 so ordered one that might have lost it's way down here on my proposed line, opened the box just a few days after ordering and......whoohoo....not a Dapol box but a Lionheart branded box, so got a LH wagon for just £30.......result I thought. I like the Dapol wagons, they make great "train fodder" but the Lionhearts are a big step above that :yes:  

• 2 weeks later...

Today the postman brought me my first four steel opens, all rivetted, 305A-4, 305B-4, 306A-5 and 306B-5. Most of the three link chains are loose in the box. Can I get them in the hook, without bending them open? I don't find any flat part on the outher links. Thanks in advance for your help.

Kind regards from the Netherlands, Jelle Jan

Today the postman brought me my first four steel opens, all rivetted, 305A-4, 305B-4, 306A-5 and 306B-5. Most of the three link chains are loose in the box. Can I get them in the hook, without bending them open? I don't find any flat part on the outher links. Thanks in advance for your help.

Kind regards from the Netherlands, Jelle Jan

I've had the same problem, they will just clip back into the slot behind the hook (they dropped out in transit so should go back)

Richard

• RMweb Premium

joined the Dapol Collectors Club (didn't know there was one!) and saw an offer for members for Dapol POW wagons, only £30 so ordered one that might have lost it's way down here on my proposed line, opened the box just a few days after ordering and......whoohoo....not a Dapol box but a Lionheart branded box, so got a LH wagon for just £30.......result I thought.

Just spotted Dapol have a couple of the ex Lionheart coke wagons on offer at £30 on the website under Specials without needing to join - says available till around this time tomorrow.

Archived