Lion Heart Trains RTR in O gauge

steve fay

• RMweb Premium

However you look at it, a Riley Elf was just a Mini with added weight...

No, no, no.........our Riley Elf was lightened with alloy panels, fibreglass roof and bonnet, alloy boot lid and no interior trim and just a bucket seat.............then again it was the 70s and it was in Special Saloon racing  :mosking:

And being the Elf we managed when replacing the side rear side panels with alloy sheets to lengthen the wheel base by about one and a half inches (was all imperial back then) which made a huge improvement to high speed handling and being an Elf no scrutineer ever noticed  :rtfm:     :sarcastichand:

• RMweb Premium

However you look at it, a Riley Elf was just a Mini with added weight...

My Humber sceptre was so much more than just a hillman hunter with a walnut dash! But nevertheless these are Lionheart coaches in every respect...

• RMweb Premium

A few shots of my crimson version.

HAL Nail, my crimson 2car set arrived in the week. I'm also pleased with what's been delivered for the price. I'll be doing some work to fill the gaps in the ends between the sides, adding a handful of passengers and some weathering.

One thing that has surprised me (not knowing much about WR coaches) is that "Bodmin #1" isn't stencilled on the brake ends. Is this correct for the period?

• RMweb Premium

The other thing I'm trying to recall is if Richard took a deposit with the pre-order? Dapol charged me the full £399 so they didn't take any account of a deposit.

Edit, just looked back through the thread and post 79 shows the pre-order leaflet produced back in September 2015 and the deposit was £50.

Have others had this deposit taken off their order by Dapol?

• RMweb Premium

Badge engineering still works well for VW and other car manufacturers. Why buy a Skoda or Seat when you can pay more for the same basic car with a VW or Audi badge (speaks a Golf owner.....).

• RMweb Premium

The other thing I'm trying to recall is if Richard took a deposit with the pre-order? Dapol charged me the full £399 so they didn't take any account of a deposit.

Edit, just looked back through the thread and post 79 shows the pre-order leaflet produced back in September 2015 and the deposit was £50.

My deposit was deducted and I got free postage but I'd flagged both to them first so don't know if they would have done otherwise.

I suspect that they lost the deposit details as they ended up asking me what I thought I'd paid!

• RMweb Premium

One thing that has surprised me (not knowing much about WR coaches) is that "Bodmin #1" isn't stencilled on the brake ends. Is this correct for the period?

I've found a photo in Branch lines around Bodmin, Middleton press, from 1935 and it says "BODMIN BRAKE". Also same book has one in crimson from 1956 which looks to be plain although the end is in shadow.

Edit: have now found several shots in the old Bradford Barton books of crimson pairs on various lines - all without any wording.

When I was contacted by Dapol I was asked how much deposit I'd paid. Although tempted to see if I could get away with saying I'd paid in full, I was honest and told them I'd paid the £50 deposit. Which they duly deducted from the balance.

• RMweb Premium

When I was contacted by Dapol I was asked how much deposit I'd paid. Although tempted to see if I could get away with saying I'd paid in full, I was honest and told them I'd paid the £50 deposit. Which they duly deducted from the balance.

Double checked by recent invoice and bank statement from 2015 and yes I did pay £50 deposit and no Dapol haven't deducted it from the price. I've written to Dapol politely asking for a refund. I would suggest that others who went the pre-order route make sure they have not also been overcharged.

Whilst the model looks great, I've not been at all impressed by the way it's issue has been handled by Richard at Lioheart and Dapol:

• Order placed with Richard and deposit taken
  • Model passed to Dapol without notice
  • Full details of the pre-orders not passed to, or lost by, Dapol
  • Phone call to Dapol asking what was the status of the order and when they wanted the balance paying
  • The letter I subsequently received from Dapol had the wrong model and price (4-car Birmingham set, rather than a 2-car set)
  • Another phone call to Dapol to correct this and give payment details
  • Email from Dapol saying my card details were wrong
  • Another phone call to Dapol to check card details - they had one number incorrect
  • Incorrect invoice from Dapol for full £399 not taking off the £50 deposit
  • Email to Dapol asking for a refund

Next time, should Dapol produce something I want, I'll order it through Tower Models to avoid this shambles. 

Next time, should Dapol produce something I want, I'll order it through Tower Models to avoid this shambles. 

Agreed. Although at the time Lionheart and Dapol were separate companies and Lionheart had always been reliable in the past.

Not that I'm too worried. The B set will most likely be the last rolling stock I will purchase in O gauge :)

• RMweb Premium

Do not forget other suppliers are available, some of which I have found to give a better buying experience  :derisive:

• 2 weeks later...

The Birmingham four-set. You get two composites and two brake composites.

Chris

I think you will find that the Brake coaches are all thirds, the requirement for first class was limited. In the Bristol area there was 6 coach sets made up with 4 thirds and 2 Brake composites to run to factories and the Docks, only management going by first!

Richard

• RMweb Premium

still have a "B" set and apart from being the same colour, with no branding on the ends, the only difference is the running numbers

Don't the 4 car brake ends have windows in the end and lack the 1st class compartment compared to the different diagram brake coaches in the B set? Admittedly still fairly minor.

Archived