Lion Heart Trains RTR in O gauge

steve fay

My understanding was that, from the livery changes in 1956/7,  non-corridor stock continued to be unlined but now in maroon rather than crimson.  From about 1959 lining was re-introduced for non-corridor stock and, in theory, remained so to the end.  However, photographic evidence suggests that a few examples remained (or were repainted) in unlined maroon until the widespread withdrawals in the mid 60's. I hope this explains what you have found.  IIRC one of the Kingsbridge branch brake 3rds was also in unlined maroon. As my modelling period is 1959/61 I have a mixture of lined and unlined non-corridors - although I think the lined versions look better!

Ray.

Can anyone tell me what was the convention on lining in maroon days please? I've found photos of both the Looe and Bodmin sets in 1959/60 clearly in unlined maroon.

I dont think anyone on here can tell you about a convention on lining. The best advice is look at as many photographs as possible and try to work out dates. As far as I can detect from photos, some coaches used on push pull/auto train working were given lining from around 1960. On the L. M. Region only, the lining more often than not copied that on corridor stock in being high in the cantrail to allow a thin yellow band above to denote first class compartments and 'low-waist' by cutting through the door handles. I have only come across Period III coaches though, never the Period II push pull fitted stock. Another type of LMR non-corridor coach that was often lined out was the GWR pre-war diagram built post-war specifically for the L M Region.

• RMweb Premium

Thanks both. I bought mine in crimson anyway as I'm modelling around the turn but was curious when looking at photos last night as I'd never noticed B sets in unlined maroon before (although have seen plenty of shots of the Kingsbridge and Hemyock coaches unlined and the Fowey autocoach now I come to think of it)

• RMweb Premium

My conundrum also...........anyone have a 4 car Maroon set they want to swap for my 4 car Crimson set?  All these options made my head spin upon ordering....... :scratchhead:

Maybe I should just model the Island of Sodor, they seem to run anything there  :mosking:

• RMweb Premium

My conundrum also...........anyone have a 4 car Maroon set they want to swap for my 4 car Crimson set? All these options made my head spin upon ordering....... :scratchhead:

:

Persuade someone to swap one side only so you both get a reversible set!

• RMweb Premium

Hmmmmm........I've seen that with POWs but never coaching stock, great idea.......but my intention is to run them split and random so a one sided set might be wrong more times than not, I like your thinking though  :imsohappy:

• RMweb Premium

Just noticed that you can buy almost any Lionheart coach on eBay for an extra £25 or so!

In fact you can buy and sell almost anything on eBay for far more than it is worth. It's absolutely fantastic if you have years of purchases that you didn't really need...

As to my dual sided coach suggestion, it feels slightly dirty and I can't quite bring myself to do it!

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

the "B" set coach is to a different diagram to the 4 car set brakes but are they actually different models?

​I've just noticed the picture of "2manySpams" B set and it doesn't have end windows... so I guess the "B" set coaches must be a different model!

Only noticed last night the modelled brake 3rd has the compartments evenly spaced compared to the brake composite where the first class area is wider spaced and therefore slightly nearer to the guard's area doors. So they are actually different models above the sole-bar!

• RMweb Premium

In the latest gazette attachicon.gifIMG_1443.JPG

Saw that also.........and the price is very competitive, some of the bigger manufacturers might have to up their game, or should that be down their prices.

If it's anything like previous LionHeart releases it'll knock spots off others.

• RMweb Premium

Hi,

Finances finally allowed me to order my GW 4-coach set over the 'phone yesterday lunchtime, it'll be with me tomorrow :senile:

I also committed to a Lionheart/Dapol Prairie, although the Tower Models website stated delivery date unknown I was told by the very rushed chap it would probably be in the new year :locomotive:

Regards, Gerry.

Respected 4mm EM modeller Ray Earl, used to only model one side of his brass built coach kits...

He reasoned that, by buying an extra pair of bogies, and buying / making an extra set of ends, you could get an extra coach out of each kit. He made duplicate "blank" coach sides from plasticard. He painted the inside of the blank either black or dark brown or grey. He also said it was half the work in painting and lining. After all, you only ever see one side of a coach, unless your layout is a roundy-roundy.... Fair reasoning, I think...

I quite like the idea of one side of your coaches being lined, the other side unlined... I've met modellers who number their locos differently on each side too - that way, an observer apparently sees different stock arriving & leaving

EDIT: Re any dates and schedules for lining of coaches - it needn't be that strict anyway - after all, there was such a lot of stock to re-paint, so it's not going to have happened overnight. In any case, more remote branch lines, or places with few maintenance facilities may not have seen such renovation work take place for years. If their coaching stock was running fine and in fair cosmetic order, it would have been low on the list of priorities....

• 4 months later...

Hi, This may have been covered previously but can anyone tell me how the rear lamp is fitted to the Lionheart guards' coaches - is it a push-fit or do they have to be soldered in place? Thanks.

Just a simple push fit - two legs through two holes in plastic body. Not very secure but does work OK.

At one stage Richard of Lionheart announced that he was to do a BR standard class 3 2-6-2t as his next loco. Then came the merger with Dapol. Does anyone know if the Class 3 is still going to happen or has it been quietly dropped?

Martin Long

I was thinking of Lionheart's output Simon.  Maybe it's an erroneous impression on my part but I see a lot of RTR GWR steam.  A3 and A4 are on the large side for the layout I envision.  A 3MT is perfect.  I am grateful for the 3F tank of course.

John

Archived