Lion Heart Trains RTR in O gauge

steve fay

Without taking the loco apart it looks like the motor gear box 'floats' vertically and pushed downwards by two sprung metal strips. Not 100% sure as I would need t take the loco apart to find out.

An e mail to Richard would getting results as I don't have time to look inside just now.

Busy weekend with a wedding, visitors, getting ready to go away, day to day life and ten million other things that need doing.

But I did get chance to do two not so good videos that are uploading to You Tube as I type this.

So more as soon as they are cooked.

The tin can and bit of string type internet is sloooooooooooooooooooooooow where I live so it looks like it will be a few hours before they are ready to view.

Here they are.

The loco is nice to drive with it being very responsive to the throttle. Possibly a tad to sensitive for the sound as it can end up chuffing, cruising too easily which can sound as bit odd.

But overall its very good.

Sorry about the darkness of the video, not much time to mess around this weekend .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LrnnHmowdrM

Hi Two tone green,

OK, I had an issue with internet explorer volume, all right now. I have just received the printed leaflets of the sound decoder information, so will email to you later today.

Thank you for showing the video.

Cheers,

Lionheart 

Hi Miss Prism,

The chassis is compensated as follows:-

Front driver fixed with minimal side play

Centre driver axle/gearbox sprung in horn blocks, and motor secured to footplate by spring to prevent rotation of motor/gearbox assembly

Rear driver can rock about centreline

Front and rear trucks are sprung and operate on a cam system to allow the locomotive to negotiate R2 (40.5") curve if necessary

Gearbox is back-driveable with helical gears using Canon motor similar to ABC type

Electrical pick-up is via the driving wheel bearings - split axles

Hope that answers your questions.

Cheers,

Lionheart

Hello Richard.

Thanks. Will watch out for your e mail.

I can highly recommend this loco for those wanting an out of the box model that ticks all the right boxes.

The detail and thought that has gone into this is incredible. The fact it runs on tight curves shows that the makers and designers know about the space problems a lot of us O gauge modellers face in the UK.

Operating it is easy and enjoyable with it being very light on its feet and fast off the mark when the throttle is opened. It's possibly the only critisism I have of it. It could do with a tad more inertia building into the CV settings in the decoder. But other than that the Zimo sound decoder is a pleasure to use.

Couple this with a very smooth gearbox and motion makes it a free runner. Better than the pannier.

Yes it's expensive but it's worth every penny to me.

What next, whatever Richard does it will be superb as well I suspect. Hopefully a Manor

TTG

Hi Two tone green & Steve Fay

I am currently working on a series of moguls, but omitting the first 20 with the short cab, as most had been withdrawn in the 30's with just two making it into very early BR. Also sorry Steve but this time I am not planning the last 20 with the Collett cab, although if there is enough interest I might change my mind, so the series will consist of the 300 odd in between.

Full CAD drawings are due at the end of May with a possible sample for Telford in September.

This will be a limited run of 125 models of four different versions covering the periods from 1920 to 1960's and decorated accordingly.

Again this model will negotiate R2 curves necessitating a special close coupling loco/tender mechanism and pony truck pivot similar to the prairie.

I am also looking at other features, but need to do some testing first.

Cheers,

Lionheart

• 3 months later...

Richard

Delighted to hear that you're planning a mogul - I'm sure it is the ideal small tender loco, and I hope (and fully expect) that it sells well!

I'll start saving now... Unlined green "Great Western" please. Not sure what number yet!

Kind regards

Simon

• 1 month later...

Archived