Lion Heart Trains RTR in O gauge

steve fay

I got a good look at the mogul at The Swindon Railway Festival. Richard has gone to town on it and produced a stunning model. The moveable working lamps are a brilliant feature.

Really wish I could afford one, but I can't justify such a large raid on my savings. :cry:

• 3 months later...

I have purchased a couple of the recent coke wagons, examples of both the 7 and 8 plank type. They have end doors and wooden end stanchions. Like all of the other minerals which had bottom doors the monkey tail has not been modelled. Does anyone know of a source of these in 7mm? The other noticeable mistake on the BR version is that there is no diagonal white stripe to indicate which end has the end door. [That is if you accept a fully repainted wood framed unfitted wagon, which shouldn't have been seen before 1959 - although I accept there are photos which appear to show full repainting earlier than that]. Note they have split spoke wheels - they run so easily that they pick up every small incline, the photos were difficult to take as they kept running away on the club layout!

For my own interest/use I have tracked down the photographs which appear to have been used for the PO  Coke wagons that Lionheart have introduced. http://www.lionhearttrains.com/modeldetails.php?page=models&mid=5

From Pope, Ian (2009) Private owner wagons of Bristol and District. Lightmoor Press, Witney, Oxfordshire, 128 pages, ISBN 978 1899889 36 5.
Baldwin no. 3000 is on page 17 photo date 12/1934 and Baldwin 1570 is page 20 photo date 10/1936

From Sambrook, Chris (2007) British Carriage and Wagon builders & repairers 1830 – 2006. Lightmoor Press, Witney, Oxfordshire, 200 pages, ISBN 13: 9781899889273.
JC Abbott 3440 is on page 65 photo date 1934.

From Hudson, Bill (1988) Private owner wagons volume 1 revised (2nd) edition. Headstock Publications, Barnsley, South Yorkshire. 118 pages ISBN 0 9512793 1 9.
Bedwas 621 is on page 104 as Plate 102 photo date 1930 (Built 1928).

These photos could be reproduced elsewhere, I haven't looked further.

post-387-0-81587500-1421508856_thumb.jpg

post-387-0-70473000-1421508898_thumb.jpg

post-387-0-13722900-1421508912_thumb.jpg

post-387-0-53971600-1421509318.jpg

post-387-0-47042600-1421509340_thumb.jpg

• 6 months later...

Pictures of some of the forthcoming 7mm Air Ministry Tank wagons are now up on Lionheart Trains facebook     https://www.facebook.com/pages/Lionheart-Trains/340112329467714

Looking good, - small point  the support saddle beams under the tanks at the ends are moulded hollow, pics of air ministry tanks show these as solid wood beams. The red band on the ends covers the whole beam, pics shoe the beam as tank colour with the band the same width going round, though of course this may not have always been done.

There seems to be an un announced version too  Oakbank Oil.

Liveries looking good if a triffle 'show room' a little subtle weathering may be in order (or for later years heavy weathering) Light drip run staining is going to need a bit of practice I think.

Edit  - you may have to take a spurious (generated) space off the end of the link to get it to work. no idea why it happens,  no space there.

• 5 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

He was talking about these at Railex (I think): apparently it's a complicated body shape to mould in one piece! I missed out on his 45xx and Masterpiece are now not doing theirs so I might be restarting my stalled 25 year old Springside project!

• RMweb Premium

Well it looks like we will be moving down to Cornwall very soon (from Essex) and this gives me the perfect excuse now to start the ubiquitous GWR branch line layout, I'll have the BR Blue mainline diesels in the garden and the detailed GWR line in house, problem I have now is it appears there are no more Prairies anywhere for sale  :no2:  and according to the Lionheart site the Autocoach set is not available with sound fitted!  My plans are scuppered before I start  :cry:

Any chance of another batch of Prairies coming along?

There's a note to the effect that Richard is considering another run of Prairies in the news section of the Lionheart website, due to the cancellation of the Masterpiece one- worth registering your interest.

It's also worth speaking to him about the sound autotrains- the products section of the website isn't kept very up to date and the issue may have been resolved. Failing that, as I believe there's a saving in buying an Autotrain  set over a loco & trailer as separate items, if you ask him nicely he may supply you with a set of sound pannier/ silent autocoach with the "set" discount applied- always worth an ask!

What diagram are these coaches for reference please.

Not sure but from image and the set numbers I think they are Diagram E140. This is a good diagram to model as it is the most numerous of the B-sets and also the most widespread.

Well it looks like we will be moving down to Cornwall very soon (from Essex) and this gives me the perfect excuse now to start the ubiquitous GWR branch line layout, I'll have the BR Blue mainline diesels in the garden and the detailed GWR line in house, problem I have now is it appears there are no more Prairies anywhere for sale  :no2:  and according to the Lionheart site the Autocoach set is not available with sound fitted!  My plans are scuppered before I start  :cry:

Any chance of another batch of Prairies coming along?

Heljan have just announced the large prairie 61xx.  2016  (but keep the salt handy)

Archived