Drummond 0F Pug Tenders

Guest 40-something

Guest 40-something

Hi Folks

Having picked up a Hornby Pug, I plan to turn it into something a bit more prototypical.

Can anyone tell me if the wooden tenders that these little chaps scuttled around with were made to a particular design or were they just an adhoc modified wagon? I've studied a few pics online but cant really come to a conclusion.

Also, are there any rtr or kit wagons that could be used as a basis?

Thanks in advance

Guest stuartp

They seem to have been custom-built bodies on a variety of pre-grouping chassis. I have to say I've not studied their origins in detail, I copied the one which appeared in photos of 'my' Pug, guessed the wheelbase at 9 feet and bodged the rest to fit. Other than generally being one plank higher at the front than the back, and having handrails and stepboards for the shunter, that seems to be about as 'standard' as it got !

Guest 40-something

They seem to have been custom-built bodies on a variety of pre-grouping chassis. I have to say I've not studied their origins in detail, I copied the one which appeared in photos of 'my' Pug, guessed the wheelbase at 9 feet and bodged the rest to fit. Other than generally being one plank higher at the front than the back, and having handrails and stepboards for the shunter, that seems to be about as 'standard' as it got !

Hi Stuart

Thanks for your reply, the Pug Im doing is 56029, I have a few photo's bookmarked, some show the tender so I'll just base it on that one I guess. I did think they were just built as required but wasnt too sure

Thanks again

Guest stuartp

I thought 56029 sounded familiar, it was nearly the prototype for my own Pug before I settled on 56031. I checked last night, I have a photo of 29 in the early 60s with a different tender to the normal ones, a fixed three-plank body on a wooden chassis. Similar tenders with LNER numbers (but attached to Caley Pugs) appear in a Bylines article, including a list of 3 or 4 suitable numbers. I'll scan them tonight if it helps.

My own efforts are here : http://www.rmweb.co....or-portwilliam/. The wooden tender in post 1 is my early attempt at a three-planker, I rebuilt it in the more familiar style but then had to rebuild it again when I realised it was too low compared to the loco. Ignore the toolbox, there's no evidence for that, it just happened to be in the spares box.

Guest 40-something

Hi Stuart

Those scans would be very useful if you dont mind, no rush though, Im off to the Perth show this weekend

Thanks again

post-15427-0-32866000-1340620130_thumb.jpgHi,

Not sure about the Caley ones but the NBR ones were custom built to the same diagram. They may have used second hand ironmongery from mineral wagons (they seemed to have gease axleboxes) but were not built onto old underframes as the wheelbase was only 7 ft. That means I am afraid no RTR underframe would suit. I have a drawing which if I can push the right buttons (not good with computers) I will put up.

best wishes,

Ian

I don't think there was total consistency about the tenders they towed around, but they all seem to have had steps and handrails for the shunters. Most seem to have had outside frames, dumb buffers all round, and w irons outside the springs, fairly typical of the older wagonry of the period when the locos were built. There is a drawing available from the Caledonian Railway Association

http://www.crassoc.org.uk/ which is representative -- contact Alec Inglis, the sales officer.

I've attached some views from my own incomplete collection

post-4979-0-94774900-1340663795_thumb.jpg

post-4979-0-74192900-1340663751.jpg

post-4979-0-77049900-1340663868_thumb.jpg

post-4979-0-67654800-1340663894_thumb.jpg

Allan F

Archived