What box vans for palletized /bagged cement in the early 80s?

Right, I realize that BR's Palvans were mostly withdrawn by the early 80s, and that Bagged/ palletized cement was carried in VAA/VDA vans. However, I know that they also used box vans. Which vans were these, were they of any specific type, or any that they could find?

Cheers,

Josh.

Lawrence Hill yard in Bristol received palletised cement daily from Aberthaw Cement until the early 1980s

there was a specially allocated pool of (I think) vanwides TOPS code VWV, they were later replaced by airbrake vans in the working.

Here is a picture from April 1981 with both vacuum and airbrake vans in the working, I think the airbrake vans

were vacuum piped so either VAB or VBB, perhaps someone else can confirm my observation?

post-7081-0-89982100-1340140007_thumb.jpg

Lawrence Hill pilot 08338 shunts out empty cement vans for Aberthaw to be formed in the

afternoon working to Severn Tunnel Junction, 22/4/81

cheers

APCM had their own fleet of vacuum braked vans from the mid 1960s until the later 1970s - well after the Palvans had been withdrawn.

http://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/apcmvan

Personally I never saw BR carrying cement in bags after this period, but it is probable that there was some traffic. Internationally there was traffic in continental vans to Europe.

Paul Bartlett

Archived