Hayfields turnout workbench

Well after the last post I went into the out of hours surgery which happened to be at the local hospital, I then spent 9 days there due to a large blood clot in my lungs. Thankfully all is OK now and have joined the Warfarine brigrade. Thankfully the chap in Canada who ordered it was very understanding even though he had an extra weeks wait.

post-1131-0-73652300-1343394221_thumb.jpg

An order came in whilst I was in hospital for a P4 copperclad turnout, took a bit longer than normal. due to blood tests, injections and hospital visits. Anyway nice to get some modelling done

post-1131-0-21284600-1343394238_thumb.jpg

Latest project is a Timbertracks P4 single slip. Thankfully Martin Wynn gave some good advice/information.Timbertrack frets for EM & P4 are the same fret, despite P4 turnouts being longer. You can adjust the switch blades on plain turnouts to compensate for this but the gap between the V's must be the correct distance apart, so it had to be spread apart a little

Timbertrack frets, do not match C&L plans so I decided to use a Templot diamond crossing template as a guide. I cut the Timbertrack fret into 5 pieces, placed the 2 outer pieces to match the V positions, then the center piece followed by the remaining 2 pieces, I think the stretch is about 3 to 4mm.

First job is to fit the common crossings, then the interesting bit is that I will be using Exactoscale special chairs, and its now about 3 weeks since I worked out what chairs go where

The first V is in place

post-1131-0-72743800-1343398870_thumb.jpg

The first chair on the left is a standard C&L 4 bolt, the next chair is an Exactoscale bridge chair. The rest of the chairs come from the Exactoscale common crossing chair pack, these are on an angle so the chair remains square on the sleeper (unlike a standard half chair cut in half which would sit at an angle across the sleeper) Sadly these chairs are only available in 4 bolt version, but I think are also OK for most 3 bolt turnouts

post-1131-0-55169600-1343398886_thumb.jpg

Poor quality photo but shows the center infill part of the chair (3rd from the left) which you will not get by cutting a standard chair in half

Edited by hayfield

First stock rail now being fitted

post-1131-0-70895000-1343424483_thumb.jpg

A slightly different building process is required, whole chairs are threaded on, first however the check rail's have to have their chairs fitted (making sure that the end chairs are the correct way round) before being slid on to the stock rail.

post-1131-0-97287800-1343424501_thumb.jpg

I stuck the chairs opposite the left common crossing first using gauges, then fitted the 3 center (outer parts) chairs. Once the solvent had dried I stuck the chairs between the left common crossing and the center ones, ensuring the rail was straight.

Next I fitted the chairs opposite the right hand common crossing using gauges, then glued the ones between these and the center chairs. All will be left to dry and harden overnight with gauges in place

Edited by hayfield
  • Like 1

Second stock rail had the set points (bend) put in where the switch rails close against the stock rail, and chairs threaded on to it as per other stockrail.

post-1131-0-17986800-1343465556_thumb.jpg

Notice that the check rail on the slip side only covers 4 sleepers rather than the 5 sleepers on the other side, the lack of chairs after the check rail is where the slide chairs will go

post-1131-0-66155000-1343465563_thumb.jpg

Both ends have been stuck in place and the slide chairs fitted. I superglue these to the rail first, then use solvent to stick the chairs to the sleepers.

The special obtuce (K) crossing chairs(outer parts) have also been fitted. Now to make the first switch/slip rail.

Edited by hayfield
  • Like 1

Not much modelling yesterday other than made one of the double switch rails. Quite busy today but managed to build an EM gauge copperclad turnout

post-1131-0-63894900-1343680278_thumb.jpg

Then tonight I started to fit the first double switch rail, the parts are fitting OK but I am having to decide which chairs to use as this slip is a1 in 6 which has 2 sleepers less that the 1 in 7, which the instructions show what chairs go where. Interesting but head scratching

post-1131-0-47003200-1343680321_thumb.jpg

Then I have made and fitted the first crossing rail, this has been a bit trial and error for length. I made it oversize, then slowly reduce the length until it fitted nice and snugly

post-1131-0-33445000-1343680326_thumb.jpg

I have temporarily fitted a short piece of rail to check that a wagon runs through OK. This is new territory for me with these parts, and its a bit trial and error. The crossing rails all lock in nice and solid, but cannot see yet how the center check rails are held in place.

The other 3 crossing rails have been made and fitted along with a check rail, some slide chairs are still to be fitted

post-1131-0-47743600-1343766980_thumb.jpg

I have tried to follow the Exactoscale instructions as best as I can, but there are not enough of some numbered chairs (unless they have been numbered incorectly on the instruction sheet) so a couple of bits will have to wait till the end to be fitted when I know what is spare on the sprue

Also after looking at the instructions and the chair parts for each sleeper, I decided to use check rail chairs (with 1 half chair cut off from each complete chair but leaving the center spacer on) to fit the check rail and for the center sleeper I used a cut down (flat part) slide rail chair to go under the rails as there was no part supplied other than 2 end chairs with no under rail parts.

Certainly not a plug and play kit, but enjoyable none the less

• Like 3

Dean

Thanks, to be quite honest I never realy felt that ill other than one fit of exhaustion, and as soon as I was in hospital I was on the mend, even before thay diagnosed what was wrong with me. The NHS are super with emergencies. I walked in to see the out of hours GP thinking I had a chest infection, and ended staying in for 9 days.

Still managed to have a few laughs whilst I was in, which in the early days was a bit painfull. Still I can recomend beach (female) voleyball as super medicine

• Like 1

Also after looking at the instructions and the chair parts for each sleeper, I decided to use check rail chairs (with 1 half chair cut off from each complete chair but leaving the center spacer on) to fit the check rail and for the center sleeper I used a cut down (flat part) slide rail chair to go under the rails as there was no part supplied other than 2 end chairs with no under rail parts.

Certainly not a plug and play kit, but enjoyable none the less

I have had another look at the check rail I fitted last night, the gap between the rails is more than 0.68mm. I still think I have made the correct choice of revised parts, but I think I will have to trim the cut back spacer a few thou and refit. This will have to wait till later

Most of the chairs are in place, just a couple to fit once the center slip rail is in place and I know what is spare on the sprue

post-1131-0-69122500-1343842441_thumb.jpg

The second check rail is in temporarily place and I have built the second pair of switch rails, which need trimming to size and final filing to shape. The next phase is to get the spacers between the check rail and the central switch rails.

I am now waiting for all chairs I fitted today to set hard before I fit the final switch rail. A very interesting (if you like building turnouts) build though.

• Like 2

Pete

No jig for filing the switch blades other than Gordon S system of this parish. A 2" x 1" piece of wood with a line marked across it, rail held in place with a quick clamp and filed by eye. The back of the blade is filed as per normal with a big 10" file.

I then turn it over and use one of 3 6" files I have to file the rail head and web to a fine point leaving the foot attached (un-filed). Once you get used to filing it this way its quite easy, but the first couple take a bit of time. I used to just file both sides flat, but I hope this method not only looks better but makes for a stronger solder joint (always learning new methods or making adaptions to the build process)

My photographic skills are a bit limited just taken a couple of photos are these the views you are after ?

post-1131-0-91485500-1343986429_thumb.jpg

All the bits in the right place, but a slight problem in that I will have to reset the center crossing / switch rail as slightly out of gauge by about 0.3mm, the chairs need slightly altering

post-1131-0-98100100-1343986447_thumb.jpg

View of the chairs leading up to the crossover

post-1131-0-16583500-1343986465_thumb.jpg

Close up view of the crossing chairs. I must say Len Wheal has done a fantastic job in producing the chairs, I had to deveiate from his instructions slightly but the (nearly) finished job looks super.

The Timbertrack frets are a great Idea, but this is the second one I have had problems with. This is an EM/P4 fret, but P4 slips and turnouts are longer than EM, which gauge are they designed for?, the work arround is quite easy though. The sleeper spacing do not match up with either C&L or Templot plans, neither do some of the sleeper lengths, but then C&L and Templot sleeper spacings differ.

Now to refit that crossing rail

• Like 4

I have just rebuilt the switch rail, 2 chairs slightly trimmed and a new center spacer did the job. All nice and in gauge now and the solvent is setting. Now on to a batch of copperclad turnouts

post-1131-0-96123200-1343994878_thumb.jpg

This is Gordon's method on Eastwood Town thread, clamp the rail on to the wood and gently file to a point along the distance marked

post-1131-0-50808000-1343994896_thumb.jpg

This shot shows the foot left on the inside of the rail, I used the center small file below as it has one end plain and is a medium cut

post-1131-0-70227300-1343994919_thumb.jpg

Files I use

Big one for the heavy work, then the 6" ones are from top to bottom, coarse, medium and fine cuts.

Finished off with fine emery paper

• Like 3

Hi John

I haven`t looked in for a while ........and have just realised you were ill............I am sorry to hear about that........but glad to hear you are ok........and I must say you are doing a beautiful job above........All the Best...........Brian ( Gormo )

Hi John

I haven`t looked in for a while ........and have just realised you were ill............I am sorry to hear about that........but glad to hear you are ok........and I must say you are doing a beautiful job above........All the Best...........Brian ( Gormo )

Brian

Thanks, I thought all I had was a chest infection and needed some antibiotics. Still I think I got off very lightly, off for a bike ride as I have to take a bit of exercise and the suns out. Also must not sit still for too long, well not untill I go down to the club later.

Brian

Thanks, I thought all I had was a chest infection and needed some antibiotics. Still I think I got off very lightly, off for a bike ride as I have to take a bit of exercise and the suns out. Also must not sit still for too long, well not untill I go down to the club later.

Good idea John

I just had my 6 monthly stress test today..........all is good........I have partial blockages in my arteries.........but a good rehab program of exercise and diet and medication will do wonders..........as it has for me.............so mate ...take care and get good professional advice..........Cheers Gormo

Brian

Thanks, today is the day of reconning with the slip, its off the building board and has set overnight. next is the electrics. The wireing is very simple especially when you use ready built common crossings.I have joined them to the crossing rails with Exactoscale plastic fishplates creating an isolated common crossing.

Both stockrails constantly remain the same polarity, where as the common crossings (V's) change polarity depending which route has been chosen, so its just 4 wires. But as there is no electrical conection between the stockrails and the crossing and switch rails I solder a piece of wire across the 3 rails. Two each side, so the wireing is very simple.

Then the test run, it works with a wagon but will a loco be OK ?. The great thing about using ply sleepers rather than plastic, is with ply whilst the bond is quite strong you can slide a sharp scalpel blade between the two to break the bond and can then make the slight adjustment needed.

Also yesterday I made 2 copperclad turnouts and started a third, so was quite busy. Managed to get a reasonable cycle ride in, chipped a few balls on the practice green and had a not so quiet pint watching the 4 man persecute team and Vicky Pendleton both win gold (sorry Brian), and thought up alternative Olympic bike riding events, like figure of 8 etc.

Today I finished off the slip, after taking the slip off the building board I soldered brass wires across the stock, crossing and switch rails for electrical coductivity (the outer 2 gaps cut in the tracing paper)

post-1131-0-62819000-1344369013_thumb.jpg

I then soldered some pieces of brass shim on the ends of the crossing rails on to the stock and check rails (the inner 2 gaps cut in the tracing paper), as the plastic chairs need help is holding the rails in their exact positions.

I then tested the silp with a loco and all worked fine.

Top marks for the Exactoscale special chairs, very impressed, instructions could be a bit better though. I realy like the Timbertrack fret idea, but both frets I have had have failings. Had Timbertracks supplied a plan, it might have made it easier. It was too short but easy to remedy, I have resevations on some sleeper spacings as they did not match C&L and Templot plans, worse though is that some sleepers seem a tad short when put against C&L and Templot plans.

Would I use the parts again, very much so with the Exactoscale chairs. And I do like the idea behind the Timbertrack system so it will be a yes providing that I am happy with the length of the sleepers.

Now back to building some more copperclad turnouts. I must say I was with a friend today who is building a 6' x 4' table top layout for his grandson, and was asked to do the wireing. Great fun seeing trains chasing their tails, memories went back to my first Hornby Dublo 3 rail railway (and my dad could not wire that up either)

Edited by hayfield

Thought I better end the slip build with a photo from the working side, showing the gaps at the crossover at correct P4 settings.

post-1131-0-78175400-1344417167_thumb.jpg

I guess it was a bit foolish hoping that plastic chairs (some in 4 pieces) would hold the rail ends in the exact position required, especially as we solder up common crossings using brass shim, but as I said the instructions are what chairs go where. And soldering the shim to the obtuse (K) crossings was very easy.

• Like 1

This week has been a right mixture, I have a friend who is building a fold away layout for his 3 year old grandson on 3 4' x 2' boards. Laying Hornby track was a bit different and a lot more wireing than usual as 2 boards fold up together and the 3rd clips on.

On the building side I am finishing off the last of 9 copperclad turnouts, the last being a curved turnout

post-1131-0-34206000-1344799850_thumb.jpg

The outer stock rail being the one that forms the shape, then the curved common crossing. These are quite large as the inside road is as shallow as possiable.

post-1131-0-11368300-1344799863_thumb.jpg

I have learnt some new skills using Templot. Initially when making 3 way plans I joined 2 plain turnouts using a scalpel, ruler and spray mount. I then moved on to overlapping 2 turnout templates within the program and moving the sleepers of both turnouts to overlap each other, then to finish it off using Tipex and felt pens to make the first common crossing. Well mark 3 is not a master piece but I have now learnt to alter the rails within the program, as I said its a bit rough round the edges and the template is just a building guide. All the important bits will be laid using gauges and straight edges. Still its a while since I have built a 3 way turnout and its looking like its will be fun

Next on the board will be an interlaced turnout for my self, just because I want to build one. But trying to gather some information on them.

Still I will do a bit more tonight while watching the first part of the closing ceremony, then back to work tomorrow

post-1131-0-34206000-1344799850_thumb.jpg

post-1131-0-11368300-1344799863_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Had a super weeks holiday, first part in Eastbourne and the latter in Kent. Eating out in Eastbourne at night is a delight. I guess because of the elderly nature of the locals and visitors the restaurants are full during the day and empty at night. Found an Italian with fantastic food at reasonable prices and an equally good Spanish Tapaz bar for a nice change.

However I came back to find my new android was not sending my email replies, in trying to fix the problem they lost all the emails and by 5pm today decided to send me a new phone as even the makers could not resolve the problem. So as well as a good part of yesterday most of today was spent wasting hours on the phone whilst it was not fixed.

Back to modelling, I have loads of 4 & 7 mm sleepers drying after staining, and made a start on the 3 way

post-1131-0-96353800-1346003891_thumb.jpg

The first job as the plan is a combination of overlapping 2 turnouts is to fit the sleepers over the Vees. If any are in a different place than on the plan then I adjust the other sleepers around them to blend in with the others, the only sleepers which were affected were those arround the middle Vee

post-1131-0-76945700-1346003916_thumb.jpg

The rest of the sleepers were then added

post-1131-0-70868400-1346003934_thumb.jpg

The small / furthest Vee was fitted by eye over the plan. The first rail of the next Vee was fitted using gauges and a straight edge. The next rail was fitted by eye.

The next Vee was fitted again by eye at the Vee point, but with gauges where it joins the other 2 Vees.

• Like 2

post-1131-0-64024600-1346055099_thumb.jpg

AS you can see the center Vee is fitted then I start fitting the stock rails from the toe end.

post-1131-0-28922700-1346055114_thumb.jpg

Second stock rail is fitted, but both only to the tip of the center Vee

post-1131-0-77705700-1346055125_thumb.jpg

Both the center switch/wing rails are fitted and the stock rails are soldered up using gauges from the switch rails (tack in place every 3 or 4 sleepers first)

post-1131-0-19341900-1346055140_thumb.jpg

This photo shows the next wing/switch rail in place, as you can see the heal end is also soldered (tacked) in place.

I will take some more photos later as I have fitted the rest of the rails. Isolation gaps to be done next, but must do some gardening this morning as the sun keeps popping its head out

post-1131-0-73620600-1346085665_thumb.jpg

Photo of the turnout with the final switch/wing rail and check rails fitted, now waiting for isolation cuts.

post-1131-0-34920200-1346085682_thumb.jpg

Turnout is now being tested, a quick check on Peters C&L site to see where the rail cuts need to be made http://www.finescale.org.uk/images/stories/pdfs/3way.pdf (this is a wireing diagram). From memory SMP plans have a extra rail break but I could be wrong. In my last order with C&L I brought a 1mm tip for my Antex soldering iron, it does come in handy in small gaps and will order the 3mm one in my next order, and will order another element as my other irons element has stopped working

Just need to run a few items through it to check it out fully. and make a start on the first crossover

• 4 weeks later...

I cannot believe a month has flown by since my last post. I up graded my phone to a Samsung Galaxy S2 and had loads of trouble with emails. To cut a very long story short if I had a poor signal the email would go into the out box and stay there preventing all other emails being sent. After 3 phones I now have a Galaxy S3, works like a dream.

Trackwork work department has been chugging along,

post-1131-0-05465700-1348298780_thumb.jpg

EM gauge B6 if I remember corectly

post-1131-0-97717000-1348298853_thumb.jpg

Then I built a trailing and facing crossovers again in EM gauge

post-1131-0-02601300-1348298966_thumb.jpg

Nothing out of the ordnary, just very pleasent builds which soothed the frustration of talking to call centers about non working phones

Something different from EM gauge turnouts, a P4 B6 turnout

post-1131-0-81109800-1348299266_thumb.jpg

As I am using Exactoscale P4 check rail chairs (C&L for the rest), I thought I would change my build method by making all the rails first, including notching the 2 stock rails and soldering the etched fishplates in place. And as requested a joggle in the straight stock rail

post-1131-0-30280100-1348299280_thumb.jpg

I then fitted all the standard and check rail chairs to the rails and the first section to be fitted is the common crossing

post-1131-0-30357900-1348299302_thumb.jpg

Followed by the straight stock rail, using check rail gauges first to set the stock rail correctly from the common crossing. I then used roller gauges and a steel straight edge to complete the fitting of the stock rail.

post-1131-0-44590500-1348299320_thumb.jpg

Curved rail fitted again firstly with check rail gauges, then roller gauges where appropriate and finally by eye for the curved rail.

I must admit prefabricating all the parts has made a nice change to my normal method of building and one I may continue.