PECO turnout design change

panzerjaeger

Hi

I received the following e mail from PECO

It is quite informative in that it identifies which turnouts have been updated.

Thanks to Peco for their reply. However I'm disappointed that they make no mention of Code 75. I've just had a look at the new catalogue and it does appear that Code 100 turnouts as mentioned are to the new pattern. However all the Code 75 turnouts with the exception of SL-E1095/6 (concrete sleeper) are of the old type. I don't know if it is their intention to update the Code 75 range eventually and, to be perfectly honest, can't afford to wait. At my time of life the current project will probably be my last layout so I am going to go with my original intention of using Marcway turnouts. More expensive perhaps but at least I know that I'll get exactly what I ordered. With repect to all. Exit stage left!

Hello all,

I've been following this thread from the start, did we see a copy of the reply to the OPs letter to Peco?

I ask this because we're building a new layout and using some of the above mounted point motors, and they do come off the pins on the ends of the tie bars. Rather than bend the tie bars to go to the motor we dug them into the cork underlay (we're glad that we had laid the track on underlay and not on to the plywood base).

Has anyone had word from Peco about a fix for this problem?

OzzyO.

• RMweb Premium

It should be perfectly possible to fashion an alternative and slightly longer pin perhaps using a small section of brass rod secured through the tie-bar.

It should be perfectly possible to fashion an alternative and slightly longer pin perhaps using a small section of brass rod secured through the tie-bar.

Hello Gwiwer,

I don't think that would be that good an idea as.

A] it would weaken the tie bar where it coming under the most stress and

B] I don't know of any glue that works on Peco plastic.

OzzyO.

• RMweb Gold

I can second that re glueing Peco plastic turnouts - I had an N scale tie bar break when inserting the Peco solenoid rod (hole is too tight for them but fine with SEEP ones) into the tie par on a code 55 N scale turnout. Had to dig up the turnout after ballasting and replace it!

• 3 weeks later...

In the September edition of Model Railroader (see page 13) Peco are advertising new HOn3 switches "featuring" the "new" UNIFROG.

This, they say, "gives you the choice of an insulated frog tip (out of the box)" or polarity switched "just connect the attached wire" - this area does not look too bad in the photo but there is still too much meat taken off the points. The headblock looks like the new type.

I'm assuming that the new "UNIFROG" will gradually appear throughout their range..................

Best Pete.

Archived