Old Hornby Mallard

ste234

Hi guys,

Was speaking to a family friend when he said he has an old Hornby Mallard loco, he has hardly ever used, and I could have it if I wanted, however there is no box.

So, typically, I said I would be delighted to have it.

Problem is, I don't have a clue about OO stuff, and I was wondering if anyone one here can help me identify how old or what model it is?

I have taken some details, It is tender driven, with the markings R351-0560 on it. I've googled this but nothing relevant comes up?

So, I have some piccies:

IMAG0672.jpg

IMAG0676.jpg

IMAG0675.jpg

IMAG0670.jpg

I feel it may be an old-ish loco, the detailing is nothing special, nice handrails on the boiler and the pipework inside the cab is all coloured!

Anyone out there able to enlighten me?

Many Thanks if you can help!

Steven

• RMweb Gold

I have the original 1981 release of Seagull in LNER blue which is more or less identical to the Mallard except for the name/number. Mine still runs very well, in fact I recently gave it a minor service and was pleased with how well it performed, certainly better than some later Hornby models I bought after my return to the hobby. The front of the loco doesn't really catch the shape of the A4 when viewed head-on but it's otherwise not too bad and certainly looks great when running.

Hi guys,

Thanks for the quick replies!

Barry Ten, I see what you mean about the front end head on, but yes it does look ok from other angles!

It sounds smooth enough when running, no worse than some of my N gauge models, however the tender does have a slight wobble to it at low speeds, I don't know if this is something to do with the rolling road (which is borrowed from a mate) or if maybe the axle is bent.

I think a loop of track might be in hand, any idea what minimum radius is?

• 1 year later...

2nd radius is the smallest radi this a4 engine will work with.

This mallard model is based on her in condition when she was built in 30's

blue with skirts and should have a corridor tender

This arrangement I believe was key in the first period as she did a running

before the attempt at the speed record. Hence why this model does not have the

record plaques on the sides. This engine came out around 1988 as a solo engine

alongside another release silver fox in silver grey

Mallard should have a Non Corridor in this period, not corridor, so the model is correct.

Plus as a tender drive loco it will most likely be able to do 1st radius curves.

Hornby's first releases of Mallard had a Corridor Tender, as I believe that is all they had. Some time in the 1990s a Non-Corridor Tender appeared, and from c1992-ish a 'correct' Mallard was released, with NON-C tender. This had the speed plaques on the side, so is reprasentative of its preserved condition. Following the China Superdetail, Mallard was released in its 1938 condition, Non-C tender, with no speed plaques.

The real thing only acquired a Corridor Tender in 1948, by which time it sported 'British Railway' Garter Blue (i.e. LNER Livery with BR lettering) and Number 22.

2nd radius is the smallest radi this a4 engine will work with.

This mallard model is based on her in condition when she was built in 30's

blue with skirts and should have a corridor tender

This arrangement I believe was key in the first period as she did a running

before the attempt at the speed record. Hence why this model does not have the

record plaques on the sides. This engine came out around 1988 as a solo engine

alongside another release silver fox in silver grey

I have no problems running these 1980s A4s on first radius. I had 9 of these until recently but got rid of 6 of them.

Archived