Ex GW outside framed Siphon G's

Jon Fitness

As it says on the tin, did any of the outside framed ones end up in parcels or newspaper trains?

I know the inside framed ones did and I've seen the pics on Paul Bartletts excellent picture site.

Needless to say, I've got a 7mm kit for one (Ian KIrk version) so I'm hoping they did. Should have checked first I suppose!

Cheers

Jon Fitness

'Fraid I'm the bearer of bad tidings, Jon; the last in revenue service went at the beginning of the 1960s.

But at least one survived until the end of that decade as a static boiler van

Many thanks chaps! Never mind, I'll see if I can persuade my oppo on the layout to let me paint his inside framed one blue in return for mine. Shall I build and paint it in early BR carmine then or weathered Choc?

Jon F.

• RMweb Gold

Many thanks chaps! Never mind, I'll see if I can persuade my oppo on the layout to let me paint his inside framed one blue in return for mine. Shall I build and paint it in early BR carmine then or weathered Choc?

Jon F.

The one which served locally as a boiler van from c.1963/64 was so filthy the new number was painted on top of the dirt - no trace at all of what colour it had been underneath!

Number 1257 Collett siphon G. Built in 1927. Purchased in 1976 from Wantage Road. These vehicles were once found in great numbers all over the country. Built mainly to carry milk churns, they found use on numerous other duties, especially newspaper traffic. The very last of these vehicles was built in the early 1950's and a number have been preserved. This however is the only one of the outside framed examples remaining and is on the SVR.

Richard

• RMweb Gold

Mike - would that be the one that's now at Didcot by chance...?

Not at all sure Nidge - the guide would be the possible remnants of its containing a couple of Spanner (I think) boilers and a missing chunk of roof from the night it caught fire! Somewhere among the b&w stuff I have got a pic of it which shows the (departmental) number so it should turn up during the scanning fest all being well.

Would they have been painted in carmine or maroon? I have a couple of the Hornby ones in GWR brown and I want to repaint them into BR livery.

First attempt at posting this disappeared into thin air!

I'd imagine the outside framers would have receiveded carmine at their first repaint in BR days.... I've just dug out Chris Leigh's book 'The Heyday Of Old Oak Common & It's Locomotives' which I had thought contained a colour photo to confirm this, but the Syphon in question is actually still brown by the look of it, the sides and ends being the same colour! To be fair, it does have a good covering of filth, but coupled next to it is a relatively clean ex-LMS Full Brake in carmine which is in stark contrast to the Syphon. No date is given in Chris's caption but the Hall loco up front is in clean BR lined green / early crest livery and the general demeanour of the Paddington approaches in the pic suggest the 1956-58 period to me.

Hi All,

The GWS Siphon (No. 2796) is an inside famed G to Dia. O33 built in 1937. The big bogie outside framed thing under restoration by the Pannier No. 3650 team is No. 484, a Dia. P18 Monster built in 1913.

I hope this helps!

All the best,

Castle

• 1 year later...
  • RMweb Gold

I have just acquired an outside framed Siphon G (diag O11) brass kit. 

After construction, I'm planning to paint it in livery suitable for the period 1955 > 1965 (assuming that they survived until then!).

The final finish will be 'filthy' but it would be useful to know what the base colour was likely to have been.

Did they last even into BR blue (parcels) livery, as I have a distant memory of seeing them on 'The Owl', the Paddn > Penzance passenger and parcels/newspaper train? I may be dreaming of course!

Thanks all.

Did they last even into BR blue (parcels) livery, as I have a distant memory of seeing them on 'The Owl', the Paddn > Penzance passenger and parcels/newspaper train? I may be dreaming of course!

The OP asked the same question, and got an answer in post #2 (No).

Adrian

After construction, I'm planning to paint it in livery suitable for the period 1955 > 1965 (assuming that they survived until then!).

The final finish will be 'filthy' but it would be useful to know what the base colour was likely to have been.

Thanks all.

The last of the outside-framed ones went in 1962, with quite a few lasting until 1961. The ones you saw would have been the later, inside-framed, vertically planked ones, quite a few of which had sliding ventilators in the lower body sides. This could be mistaken for outside framing in poor light.

All the SIPHONS I saw were so filthy that the paint colour was not discernible - even the lettering was almost illegible. The effect was a dirty brown. I would imagine that the paint colour would depend on the last shopping date.

Archived