Cashmores - the next layout?

marc smith

Had a great weekend exhibiting the layout at Swindon
The sharp eyed among you will have noted that I slightly altered the name
to "Carsmoores scrap yard" - mind you, the organisers had described it as O gauge too
So I hope not too many people were disappointed...

Anyhow, here it is with a class 25 having brought some wagon loads of scrap,
and it looks like several of the wagons ought not to return into general service too!

post-2973-0-43695200-1379321746_thumb.jpg

post-2973-0-00120100-1379321760_thumb.jpg

Hi Marc, great pics again and the puddles are perfect.

As a lover of small layouts its always good to see how many different approach's there can be. A nice overall shot would be good of it set up at the show if you have one please.

All the best,

Andy :sungum:

• RMweb Gold

Had a great weekend helping Marc run his scrapyard layout at the Swindon Steam exhibition. A really excellent place to hold an exhibition, having full size locomotives as a backdrop to the layouts makes the show very special. We were joined by Roger, Rouse2037 of this parish and a fine time was had by all, helped by the excellent beer available in the Glue Pot pub!

Here's a few pics of Marc's layout that I took during the weekend.

post-5869-0-84343800-1379331041_thumb.jpg

post-5869-0-79017800-1379331071_thumb.jpg

post-5869-0-31777100-1379331094_thumb.jpg

Nice layout, Marc. I'm a fan of muck and industry so it's just my kind of thing. Could you tell me how you did the puddles?

Hi Ruston,

Thanks for that

The puddles were made using a Gordon Gravetts' technique;

Cut a shape of clear plastic card to rough shape / size

Spray it on one side, either dark brown or black -depending on preference (matt or gloss doesn't matter)

Cut aperture in your landscape slightly oversize

Ensure this is as level as possible

Turn your painted plastic card over - so the unpainted side is uppermost

place into landscape, and make good the edges, using DAS mixed with PVA

Hey presto! :)

It really is simple

I experimented a lot with puddle & water effects when I built my small OO steelworks layout

"Wales, Rails, Rain & Steel"

And I found this method to be best for puddles

I would say though, take care as to which thickness of clear plasicard you use

Too thin and it would tend to buckle and not look dead flat, as it should

Too thick and you get an obvious "gap" between the landscape at the edge of the puddle and the puddle itself...

For best results, I also used the clear plasticard which comes covered in a protecting film on both sides

I tend to mix DAS with PVA when doing any landscaping

I like DAS it is a nice tough surface, but used alone, it can tend develop small cracks as it dries out

The addition of the PVA helps keep it flexible & prevent cracking though

Cheers all

BTW. There is an overall view, back up the thread somewhere

but I'll take a more updated overall pic when I get chance :)

When making the puddles, they looked quite big
Wish I'd made some of them bigger now though
I really like the interesting reflections they can create....
And I'm a fan of grot, rust & grime..... they might as well send the men in white coats to get me now lol 

• RMweb Gold

Had a great weekend helping Marc run his scrapyard layout at the Swindon Steam exhibition. A really excellent place to hold an exhibition, having full size locomotives as a backdrop to the layouts makes the show very special. We were joined by Roger, Rouse2037 of this parish and a fine time was had by all, helped by the excellent beer available in the Glue Pot pub!

Sounds like the beer in 'The Glue Pot Inn' has definitely undergone a transformation - going back 40 odd years it was terrible stuff in there!

As usual great to see the layout and to meet Dave (Wenlock) as well as renewing acquaintance with Marc.

• RMweb Gold

Sounds like the beer in 'The Glue Pot Inn' has definitely undergone a transformation - going back 40 odd years it was terrible stuff in there!

As usual great to see the layout and to meet Dave (Wenlock) as well as renewing acquaintance with Marc.

Good to meet you too Mike, sounds like there have been a few positive changes in the Glue Pot! It's now in my opinion exactly what a good pub should be. Dark brown Anaglypta on the ceiling, wooden booths and benches to drink in, seven or eight "guest ales" and a damn fine collection of single malts. Add to that some GWR memorabilia and an amiable host, what more could a chap ask! Thoroughly recommended next time your in Swindon.

Dave

Hi there Staionmaster,

Yes, great to see you again sir

Always nice to have a chat with you & the station cat 

I can confirm the Glue Pot is indeed a fine establishment

I go there each time I exhibit at Swindon - usually both nights too ;)

They sell no generic bland brews at all

They sell several really nice ales, and the choice is always good

With regular ales and a good choice of guest beers

Got some interesting whiskeys there too

And the landlord is a chatty, friendly bloke too

Hope you're enjoying that nice looking book on GWR wagons?

I had a browse at the stall - it looked great

Cheers again

Marc

• RMweb Gold

Hi there Staionmaster,

Yes, great to see you again sir

Always nice to have a chat with you & the station cat 

I can confirm the Glue Pot is indeed a fine establishment

I go there each time I exhibit at Swindon - usually both nights too ;)

They sell no generic bland brews at all

They sell several really nice ales, and the choice is always good

With regular ales and a good choice of guest beers

Got some interesting whiskeys there too

And the landlord is a chatty, friendly bloke too

Hope you're enjoying that nice looking book on GWR wagons?

I had a browse at the stall - it looked great

Cheers again

Marc

The GWR wagon book is excellent although I have found what would seem to be a puzzling comment in the section on Shunters' Trucks where it refers to trucks with vacuum pipes being needed to shunt fitted freight trains.  Good to hear that The Gluepot has bucked up its ideas as it always struck me as a pleasant and comfy atmosphere in there.

• 4 months later...
  • 3 months later...

WOW, Ray, another set of great pics, it shows the Yard, the Puddles and the total dereliction of the area beautifully.

Well done Marc, and also to Ray for the pics.

I took these at rmweb members day too, I edited them using a software on my tablet, hope you like. Oh and thanks for the rail freight wagon (OCA )rewheeled and modified the underside so wheels can turn freely.post-22691-0-94990400-1399015001_thumb.jpgpost-22691-0-61438300-1399015044_thumb.jpgpost-22691-0-45726000-1399015148_thumb.jpg

• 4 months later...

How did I miss this thread until now. What a great model, I too recall trips to Barry in the 1970 before most locos had started to leave and recall the incredible atmosphere that the place had and this layout brings it all back. Steve

Hi Steve, thanks for the kind words

Sorry, I don't have much modelling time lately

and haven't even looked at this thread in ages!

Barry was a good day out for me, and my railway pals

I know so many will dislike the sad atmosphere of such places as Barry or Cashmores

But these places had such an atmosphere - eerie at times, definitely sad

but they tended to etch themselves into the minds forever...

I'm sure we should all be thankful to Dai Woodham (RIP) - for without the goings on at his yard,

the preservation movement would have a huge hole in the amount of saved locos

I've spoken to a couple of guys who worked in Cashmores, who told me they sold various bits & pieces to preservationists,

and to individual collectors....

I never set out to "glorify" scrapyards, and I'm pleased that most of the people I spoke to at exhibitions understood this

I'm sure there are those who didn't - but you can't please all of the people all of the time lol

Cheers again

Marc

PS. A Big thanks to Vince - I do like what you did with "relicing" those pics

a bit like what I did with one of my own photos of my O gauge micro "Poynton Sneer"

Thank you Mark, in the early 70s my father business took him to the Barry area quite often and as a school boy I would tag along and then when older would drive there my self. I was there on the day 80080 left which was covered by Blue Peter and on another occasion after palling up with a couple of guys from the Mid Hants railway who were looking to buy a loco. (I was a member of the Midland railway center then) had the privilege of being invited by them when they went to meet Dai Woodham to discuss the deal and spent a very pleasant hour with him over a nice cup of tea. I've got to say I came away with a very high opinion of the chap who gave us all the time we wanted and was very interested in what was happening in the preservation world.

He could have charged so much more for the locos but was always fair asking only there scrap value but also giving people time to raise funds and by in installment and at one time form working parties to prepare the engines for movement This unfortunately lead to many abusing his trust and robbing and vandalizing many locos, Sorry to digress on your thread regards Steve 

Archived