Cashmores - the next layout?

marc smith

Marc, I'm a bit late to the party, however Vallejo make a paint range called 'Game Colour' which is an almost pigment perfect match for the Games Workshop range and is far superior to the GW ones to boot. Something to look at perhaps?

As always your layout is superb. :)

Thanks for that DanielB

I wasn't aware of that range

I'll keep a look out for them....

My whole approach to Cashmores has been one of trying to re-use and re-cycle

pretty much whatever I can....

Much of the paint on the layout - including the overhead crane, the building and even the wall

has been painted with acrylic colours for the base - some old, dried up, "rescued" humbrol and GW paints....

But I've used match-pots of decorators emulsion paints extensively;

I bought 4 or 5 of them several years back from the big orange DIY shop

These were mainlly different shades of grey and blue-grey

They were the paints I used on Hendre Lane, Wales Rain & Steel, and on the road surface of Bracty Bridge....

So I've managed to get 4 layouts out of them, but ran out while painting the framing on Cahmores...

I had to buy another "Cool Slate" pot - ah well - that'll keep me going for another couple of layouts ;)

I painted my fencing last night, and it's nearly ready to be installed behind the retaining wall

I'm not looking forward to adding the strengthening brackets though....

I'll be bending up each one to shape - using some square section brass rodding....

I've got some, hanging around somewhere - bet it's not enough though, groan!

Thanks for the kind words folks :)

post-2973-0-09044600-1369123353_thumb.jpg

BTW Barry Ten,
Thanks ever so much for your donations to Cashmores....
I'm not sure if you would recognise this bit, it's from your contribution
Although, there's rather less of it left now - just the cab and the smokebox...

It was inspired by a photo in one of Nigel Trevanna's "Steam For Scrap" series of books
Fortunately, I picked up the whole set, quite cheaply at a show a couple of years back

EDIT: I can see some hoovering is required on the layout :O

post-2973-0-17145600-1369129693.jpg

Marc,

I could bore you to death with memories of standing on that parapet whilst doing the rounds of the Newport scrapyards during the late 60s and early 70s !

A July weekend in 1966 had the following locos spread around the various yards in the docks area:-

Cashmores:- 6111/47, 6959, 33020/27, 34079, 80043, 92246 & 15202 .

33020/27 & 84014 had left Eastleigh for Newport on 28/03/1966.

United Wagon Works:- 45113, 84005/06

Buttigeigs:- 31858, 34033/42, 82022, 84002.

34033 and 73084 had left Nine Elms for Westbury on 02/03/1966, the 'standard' was bound for R.S.Hayes, Bridgend. 31858 had departed Eastleigh the following day, 03/03/1966, for Newport. 34042 & 82022 together with 34007 left Nine Elms on 13/01/1966, with 34007 eventually reaching Woodham's yard, Barry Docks.

I had seen 33027 at least, stabled at Severn Tunnel Jct a few weeks earlier on 30/04/1966, and I think 80043 'may' have been at Bristol Bath Road Open Day en-route from Bath Green Park to Newport. It was rumoured at the time that the BR Cl.2 2-6-2T locos had been earmarked for the Isle of Wight, replacements for the then aged LSWR 02 tanks.

In early 1971 we found 6000 King George V being restored for its' return to the main line that October, c/o United Wagon and funded by HP Bulmer - we were allowed to clamber all over her (him ?).

If you are stuck for a shunter (or to ring the changes from an Ebbw Jct. Cl.08) A.R.Adams used to stable their 'hire' fleet nearby when they were between jobs - and they had several ex-BR Cl.03 and 04 shunters, and ISTR at least one Cl.11.

I've attached some extracts from the Sectional Appendix relating to operations in and around Cashmores Newport yard, for anyone who has trouble sleeping !!!!

Brian R.

Newport District-4.pdf

Newport District-5.pdf

Hello Brian,

No, you would not bore me, honeslty sir :)
Once again, you underestimate the value of your tales and memoires....

The un-numbered 04 in several of the views is intended to be re-branded as an 03
I gather several were seen shunting the yard / rearranging the stock to be scrapped?

Appart from the class 71's I went to see for the 1st time,

I only ever saw the back end of an 08, further along the line,
in the distance, making its' way back towards Newport....

Keep the memories & tales coming Brian!
Thanks again for the info...
Marc

PS. Did a 14 ever make its way down there?

• RMweb Gold

Looking really good matey!  Those wheels look great now they're painted and your trade mark mirror really helps with the size of the pile.  The puddles are very effective, i 'm looking forward to seeing some "arty" shots with stock reflected in them.   Looking forward to seeing it in the flesh!

Dave

Looking really good matey!  Those wheels look great now they're painted and your trade mark mirror really helps with the size of the pile.  The puddles are very effective, i 'm looking forward to seeing some "arty" shots with stock reflected in them.   Looking forward to seeing it in the flesh!

Dave

Thanks again for casting them up for me Dave :)

You've saved me a fortune...

I owe you a pint!

Marc

Hi Marc

Just caught up with your latest layout. Very nice indeed. How do you keep churning them out?

Quality work to your usual excellent standard.

Love the puddles as well!

Stephen

Thanks Stephen,

I've been far slower of late, in building layouts...

Mainly due to a middle-aged crisis, in which I still believe I can be a rock star :jester: 

Re the puddles; yes, I'm pleased with them - thanks to Mr Gravetts' technique

What is it about railway modellers and rust, weeds, rain etc? All the things other folk dislike?

Marc

I had the idea of using a pile of wagon bodies as part of the view-blocker

back in 2003/4 - having seen Simon Thompson's excellent scaleseven layout
"Braunstone Gate" - based on Vic Berry's yard in Leicester

Simon uses a pile of rusting wagons to disguise a cassette,
from which, single wagons are lifted once out of view....
He said he'd like to do the same with loco bodies

but didn't fancy the cost of a pyramid of JLTRT loco bodies :O 

I have a small selection of bodies from old, defunct Hornby 25's

among other "dead" locos & spare bodies - again, mostly donated by pals....

EDIT: appologies for the poor quality of my photo of "Braunstone Gate"
- it was a cheap point & shoot camera, with built in flash.....

post-2973-0-59074500-1369144664_thumb.jpg

The un-numbered 04 in several of the views is intended to be re-branded as an 03

I gather several were seen shunting the yard / rearranging the stock to be scrapped?

Appart from the class 71's I went to see for the 1st time,

I only ever saw the back end of an 08, further along the line,

in the distance, making its' way back towards Newport....

Keep the memories & tales coming Brian!

Thanks again for the info...

Marc

PS. Did a 14 ever make its way down there?

Marc

The 04 could be repainted and become D2244 - which was one of Adams hire fleet, eventually working at the Monsanto chemical works across the river from Cashmores.

In 1967 one of the Newport ADJ pilots tripped to Loco Yard, Dock St. and East Mendalgief - but that was generally an 08 turn.

At that time Ebbw Jct. had several Cl.14 turns (albeit the locos were officially allocated to Canton)  but only two regular turns, one to East Usk & the Uskmouth Branch, the other to Machen & Trethomas. The other Ebbw Jct. Cl.14s were outbased at places like Pontypool Rd. (2)  /Aberbeeg  (2) / STJ (1).

As Cl.37s worked to the Gwent Coal Concentration Depot across the road from Cashmores, I have no doubt that Cl.14s would be permitted - (always remember IYMR !).

Growing up, my neighbour the late Doug Prowse was master of a dredger that sailed from the Moderator Wharf and late 1967 early 1968 he took my dad and I out for the day . . . . as we passed Cashmores I caught sight of my first ever USA tanks 30067/69/71.

By my reckoning Cashmores Newport yard saw off in excess of 800 locos (but I've only got CSE maths).

Brian R

• RMweb Gold

Interesting to see that crane in the pic of Braunston Gate - a few weeks ago Peter from L&B sold me a similar one already assembled to a nice standard. Mine has a steam boiler as well - can't tell from that angle if there's one on that model. No idea what I'll do with it but I'm sure it'll find a home on some project eventually...

Hi all,

Brian (br2975) I don't know what I'd do without all the helpful info you have given me over the past few years :)
You have come up trumps with more interesting, useful gems again sir!
I found a piccie of D2244 - the shot is B&W, but it says it was in blue
I was just wondering what shade of blue?

Was it similar to the pale blue in Brain T's slide we saw a few months back?

I noted that D224 worked one of the collieries in South Wales - perhaps when it was on hire?

Indeed, I was going to use the "IMMR" excuse, to justify a working or 2 of my fave class 37
I now have one in green with sound, and it is itching to stretch its' legs ;)

One of my imagined situations, was that during the 80's and 90's when type 2 diesels were being withdrawn,
I reasoned that Mr J Cashmore, spotting a business opportunity, decided to re-open the yard briefly,

in order to alleviate the demand on yards like VIc Berry's -
Well, I've got to use those Hornby class 25 bodies somewhere....

Thanks again to Brian T - any photos of D2244 Brain? ;)

Barry Ten, it appears nothing is powering that crane :O
I'm sure we can design a micro layout or diorama to display it on
That Peter at L&B! Imagine selling you things you didn't go into the shop for :jester: 

EDIT: Finished painting my wooden fencing, and glued it in place, behind the retaiing wall last nite

Cheers again folks :)

post-2973-0-84543300-1369213547_thumb.jpg

Hi Stephen,

Yes, you tend to get better reflections when viewed from a slightly higher viewpoint
I prefer almost eye-level views for the majority of photos......

When placing the puddles, I thought they looked rather big, for such a small layout
Now however, I wish I'd made them even bigger
That would provide more opportunities for some nice reflections

More experimentation with a smaller camera is necessary

Marc

Marc

By my reckoning the loco in BT's photo is D2244, which (a) was in a blue livery in 1971, (b) was on hire to Monsanto, Newport from 8/1970 until 2/1971 then hired to © NCB Coed Cae from 4/1971 until 3/1972.

A.R.Adams also owned D2276 at this time, which was never hired out and was part dismantled for spares by 8/1971.

Adams hire fleet included :-

D2139 from 1968 until sold to the NCB c3/1971

D2178 from 1970 until sold to the NCB c5/1974

D2181 from 12/1968 until sold to the NCB Coal Distribution Ctr opposite Cashmores 8/1971

D2182 from 11/1968 until sold to Lindley Plant, Gaerwen 9/1973

D2186 from 2/1970 until scrapped c1981.

D2193 from 9/1969 until scrapped 1/1981.

12054 from 9/1971 until scrapped 4/1984.

A.R.Adams locos were generally repaired at the United Wagon Company premises until 1972, near the transporter bridge and not far from where Buttigiegs cut their locos. They later had a fenced compound nearby with locos worked on in the open air IIRC.

Adams also repaired locos for other owners.

Some sources suggest Adams may have owned D9530 at one time - altho it appears to have been sold by BR Canton to Gulf Oil Cardiff Docks before moving to the Robeston refinery and later was sold 10/1975 to the NCB at Mardy Colliery, Maerdy - possibly with Adams acting as intermediary ? But when I photographed it at  Canton in 1975 it was in a sky blue livery.

Cashmores did cut two 03s at Newport D2122 ex Bath Rd. and D2143 ex Landore.

Anyway, enough of my ramblings, it's your thread - about another damned fine layout.

Brian R

Marc

By my reckoning the loco in BT's photo is D2244, which (a) was in a blue livery in 1971, ( B) was on hire to Monsanto, Newport from 8/1970 until 2/1971 then hired to © NCB Coed Cae from 4/1971 until 3/1972.

A.R.Adams also owned D2276 at this time, which was never hired out and was part dismantled for spares by 8/1971.....

Brian R

Once again Brian,

Many many thanks for all that useful info - I don't know how you recall it,

I know I won't be able to!

I'll repaint the 04 into blue - I'm not sure what shade of blue that is, in the photo

It certainly doesn't look much like BR corporate blue...

I wonder how long it worked without any number or owners name on it?

It's an odd state of affairs, in my view

so if it ran about in that condition for some time, I might just leave it like that......

I think it's something a bit different :)

Thanks again for your kind words

Marc

EDIT: Also Brian, it might be my thread, but one of the reasons I start such a thread,

is for the contributions, thoughts, ideas - and ramblings ;) of others.....

It's one of the reasons why I enjoy rmweb so much

So please, continue to ramble......

EDIT: Also Brian, it might be my thread, but one of the reasons I start such a thread,

is for the contributions, thoughts, ideas - and ramblings ;) of others.....

It's one of the reasons why I enjoy rmweb so much

So please, continue to ramble......

Marc,

When it comes to 'rambling' - I'm your man.

Brian R

• RMweb Gold

Another great layout here Marc :good:

Oozes atmosphere, simplicity and great use of a mirror again (becoming your trademark ;))

Do like to see these gritty scenes modelled and look forward to see more pics when it is on the circuit.

Oh...and that puddle :O

Absolute Class...

Hi Marc

Really enjoying this thread, I have always been interested in the operations at Cashmores. I remember our walk at Taunton talking about Cashmores, am still picking up usefull bits of metal for my scrap loads and even my 10 year old son is joining in !

Cohens of Kettering had piles of wagons stacked alongside the sidings, have photos of piles of 16 tonne mineral wagons. Also they dealt with hundreds of vans, must explain why every farmers field in Northamptonshire has a van body in it.

Slightly off topic, worked with a ex Wellingborough fireman who remembers working a train of ex works 16 tonne coal wagons direct from repairs at Wigston wagon shop straight to Cohens for scrap. They had been condemned during maintanance and sold for scrap, Cohens would sell brand new buffers and bearings back to BR ! He also told me about delivering a rake of parcel vans into the yard for scrap, whilst they made a cup of tea the workers opened the doors to set them on fire to burn of the wooden bodies only to discover they were full of mail sacks !

Will bring my collection of photos to show you at the Market Harborough show

Keep up the good work,

Richard

Archived