I have just had a quick look at the Jocadis website, and they do a few sets of loco transfers in yellow, but no wagons - however I hadn't realised they had a shop, or that it was actually in a station building on a main rail route from Brussels, so next time I'm on the continent I will make sure I take a trip out there.

Hmm, planning my visit for next Friday, and I can get there just 7 minutes before they close for a two hour lunch break. I had planned for an hour there, then a really clever route that knocked off half a dozen lines that I've not done, before returning to Brussels - I'm not sure that works now - back to the drawing board.

J

Hmm, planning my visit for next Friday, and I can get there just 7 minutes before they close for a two hour lunch break. I had planned for an hour there, then a really clever route that knocked off half a dozen lines that I've not done, before returning to Brussels - I'm not sure that works now - back to the drawing board.

J

Hi Jon,

A bit off-topic but a little Jocadis anecdote:

I've never been to the Jocadis shop, but did once meet Mr Wittmer (the propietor - think that's his name), in Oostende. It was Autumn 1984, I think, and I was working with my brother Barry at Cambrian Models. Jocadis had placed an order for 1.500 six-wheeled H0 scale carriage kits. We decided the cheapest way of getting the kits to Jocadis when packed, was to take them over on the night freight P&O ferry. Each of us, including my sister-in-law, would carry two suitcases each.

All the kits fitted into the six suitcases, my brother had researched what documentation was needed for self-exportation of goods. At 11pm, on the night of departure, the P&O staff at Dover did not believe we could take the goods as foot passengers and without a shipping agent. My brother proved that we could. What a night. There had been a terrible storm in the channel the boat was still being cleared of lorries which had fallen over on the inbound trip -.then we were told the 1st engineer had died of a heart attack.

After a stormy crossing, we met Mr Wittmer and quickly loaded the kits into his car (he had a shipping agent!) We packed the three now-empty smaller suitcases in to the three larger ones and went back to the port. The return to Dover was fine until we reached the British customs area.

My brother,sister-in-law and I were led to the examination area and asked what was in our suitcases. "Suitcases!" we replied, rather amused. The customs officers were not. "What is in the suitcases inside the suitcases then?" they enquired. "Nothing!" we laughed.

They did make us open the cases, but did see the funny side of it when my brother produced various documentation to prove what we had been doing.

Well, I did manage to mention 'Jocadis' and 'ferry' several times, so not too off-topic.

All the best,

Colin

• 2 weeks later...

The Jocadis shop is very interesting - the station at Enghien has been recently refurbished, and Jocadis have the entire uper floor, which looks like it was refurbished for offices, but is now full of display cases full of models - I had no idea so much Belgian stock was available, although sadly wagon transfers are not.

Jon

• 1 year later...

A day at the CMRA modellers day earlier in the month gave me a clear run of about 5 hours with limited interruptions to do some modelling, and having got the bit between my teeth, a second van followed almost immediately.

First up is a 'little' SNCF Hfs ferry van

post-336-0-40001100-1406834138.jpg

Then during the week its bigger brother followed

post-336-0-67687400-1406834136.jpg

Neither are finished, and both are probably candidates for tuning into resin cast masters, but I had a bit of a scare with heat/solvent distortion earlier in the week, so I'm holding off doing more until it cools down a bit.

post-336-0-85479700-1406834135.jpg

post-336-0-53471800-1406834137.jpg

Jon

• 10 months later...

I've been left in the house on my own over the weekend, and once again its the plasticard that suffered....

Cargowaggon Hbfins 4 wheel van

post-336-0-18775700-1434298775.jpg

post-336-0-03426100-1434298776.jpg

Still needs the ends doing and the various small finishing bits.

Jon

Three more snaps before it went out to the paint shop for a coat of grey primer - if that doesn't show up any blemishes then it will be white tomorrow and  yellow as soon as I can get a suitable tin of paint.

post-336-0-53175600-1434492493.jpg

post-336-0-37958600-1434492495.jpg

post-336-0-05332000-1434492496.jpg

Jon

Whilst the weather is right for it and I had a tin of blue paint the tiphook coil wagon that I cast from a pair of Lima HO wagons also finally got a topcoat - I'm quite please with the rather plastic finish to looks rather like a vinyl tarp, its just not quite the right colour, even for a clean one.

post-336-0-71305500-1434922857.jpg

and I still can find the offcut bits - I'm sure I saved them for one of the SNCF shorties but I've searched high and low for them.

Jon

and finally (for the moment) a less successfull scratchbuild. The intent was to build half of a cargowaggon 'holdall' van (really a covered flat), and having built half, I would use that as a master to produce lots more in resin - I can't remember what went wrong with the first one (only the roof remains) and the second wasn't sufficiently symetrical to be worth casting.

I was really pleased with the third, and glued extentions to the bottom, so that I could make the mould - disaster - too much solvent and the whole thing distorted. I still haven't built the fourth...

attachicon.gifholdall1.jpg

attachicon.gifholdall2.jpg

attachicon.gifholdall3.jpg

Jon

Hi Jon, looking very good there! Did you have any luck getting the Cargowaggon lettering?

What was your planned method with the Holdall Cargowaggon? Hoods on a Heljan base?

I'm not very happy with the way the painting has gone, but a bit of weathering should sort that out, and I still need to work out what of the underframe needs to be black, and pick out the ferry tiedowns in yellow. Then knock up some lettering...

post-336-0-22597300-1435498611.jpg

post-336-0-98962800-1435498611.jpg

Hi Jon, looking very good there! Did you have any luck getting the Cargowaggon lettering?

What was your planned method with the Holdall Cargowaggon? Hoods on a Heljan base?

I contacted Dave and he tells me that its Euro Stile which I've googled and downloaded the 'Oblique' version - I'll print this onto transfer film and see how it looks.

I was going to scratchbuild the underframe of the Holdall because there isn't much too it, then use the Genesis Db665 bogies from under their cargowaggon flat, for which I already produce a bogie etch

post-336-0-73683300-1435499416.jpg

Jon

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Almost there know, just the ferry hooks to paint yellow, a brake handwheel and a blow over with varnish, then I might ask someone nicely if he will weather it for me.

attachicon.gifcargowaggond001.jpg

attachicon.gifcargowaggond002.jpg

attachicon.gifcargowaggond003.jpg

attachicon.gifcargowaggond004.jpg

Jon

Weathering, sacrilege, there aren´t any faults to hide are there Jon?

Mike.

Came across this recently and thought it might be useful for anyone else wanting to make scale UIC-ORE Type 1 as in the Airfix Dapol HO model. As far as I can see only the roof will match OO scale.

hb64-jul-S-CHVO.png

There is a dimensional boo-boo on the wheelbase. Any body know what the overall width was?

automatic-rock.nl

Site is in Dutch but there's also a few other diagrams as well

Hi Jon,

Amazing models! Do you think you could give an indication of the thicknesses etc of the various plasticard used to build the components? I'm particular interested in the under frames and seeing detail.

Do you draw up and then print out (and then glue) the drawings to the plasticard before cutting them out.

Thanks in advance,

James!

Most of the shell construction will be 20 or 40 thou evergreen sheet, in this case because I needed to score and fold the doors I used 20, and because of the double overlay at the 'shoulders' I used my Silhouette  Portrait (with several trial versions) to ensure the two layers matched. Most of the time I just work from a photocopied/printed plan at 4mm/ft and transfer the cut marks across.

I have collected a pretty much full set of Evergreen section, so I will use whatever sizes I need.

Underframes tend to be simple, I use MJT w irons, with a resin copy of the Hornby VIX UIC double link suspension - I'm thinking about etching my own clasp brake gear that will fit directly onto the MJT frames. The airbrake gear under the STEF van is a NNK EPB brake cylinder/linkage, if the 3D printer in the Makerspace I attend can be fixed I might do a 3D print of the brake equipment. The Ferry fittings are my own etched parts already.

Jon

Thanks for the info Jon. For me, the finished product is just as interesting as the how you got there part. Might have to investigate one of these Silhouette Portrait cutters. Looks like it makes life a hel of a lot easier than having to scribe and snap by hand all the overlays.

I hand wondered how you made the spring units. Need to have a hunt around for a suitable W-iron for some MOT ore hoppers. I've only ever faded with millionth for castings, but I'll have a look at resin kits for casting on future.

Cheers,

James

Archived