chaz

Thanks, lads. But my problem is getting a URL out of Youtube in the first place. I seem to have uploaded my video to some odd part of Google I don't recognise. I have uploaded it again this morning and will try more link-making later.

Baffled.

Chaz

PS  Don't even think about buying a Nikon D600 unless you want endless trouble.

Chaz

Edited by chaz

Fab video - thoughtful viewpoints and nicely edited Chaz. It makes up for (in a very small way) not being able to get to the Basingstoke show. The somersault signal is hypnotic - I took the video back a few times just to watch it go over and back again.

Thanks for perservering Chaz, neat video & as Buckjumper said, the next best thing to seeing it live after missing Basingstoke.

Reinforces what a nice layout you've built & how well it runs. Even in a video the perceived mass of 7mm locos make them look much more realistic when running than 4mm. I have a direct comparison with a very similar black class 04, & the amount it 'waddles' (even on dead flat straight track) is ridiculous compared to your yard pilot!

keith

Thanks for the appreciative comments, lads! I do have some other footage which I will edit later. Given the long upload times I will be working to a similar length to the first one.

Chaz

Excellent Chaz, thank you for taking the time to put the video together & posting it! Really nice to hear the locos without the extraneous exhibition background noise too! I really love the shot of the 24 (sorry, Sulzer type 2!) as she comes to rest under the goods canopy - very atmospheric!

Keith

The last of the three video clips....

I would have liked to shoot more but this was a two day one-off which involved taking the layout across Southampton in a convoy of three cars to an empty house with a lounge more than big enough to accommodate it.

Chaz

• Like 6

Chaz - May I echo the comments above. It really was worth persevering with the YouTube uploads. Both All three videos were great. I really wish I'd been to Basingstoke or Warley and seen this in the flesh.

Edited to rectify the cross-post with #1401 above!

Edited by stephenashton

... involved taking the layout across Southampton in a convoy of three cars to an empty house with a lounge more than big enough to accommodate it.

I wonder what the estate agent thought when you arrived for the viewing with that lovely model railway in tow...!! "It's OK, we just need to check if it fits before we can consider making an offer..!!"  :meeting:  :D

Thanks again for taking the time to sort out the videos Chaz, as has already been said, definitely the next best thing to seeing it live!

keith

I wonder what the estate agent thought when you arrived for the viewing with that lovely model railway in tow...!!

It was OK, we crept in while he wasn't looking...

Dock Green's next three outings...

Sat' 6th & Sun' 7th September 2014

Guildex at Telford

a must for O gaugers? Certainly a large number of trade stands, all focussed on 7mm

Sun' 19th October 2014

CSGOG one-day show at Wimborne

Always a good show and worth a trip,

Dock Green went in 2012 as a work in progress and I'm happy to take it back finished.

Sat' 24th & Sun' 25th January 2015

Southampton Model Railway Society show

at Barton Peverill College in Eastleigh

another good local show

Chaz

Edited by chaz

Hi Chaz.I love this model, I like the mix of steam and diesel. Could you please tell me who makes the kits for the diesels you have.

Regards Bob

Thanks for the comments Bob.

The diesels...

The BR/Sulzer type 2 (TOPS class 24) was built for me from a Just Like the Real Thing kit. It has an ABC compensated motor bogie at one end. Train loads on Dock Green will never require it to have two.

The English Electric type 1 (TOPS class 20) is not from a kit - it's a Heljan RTR item, from the special batch that Tower Models commissioned without yellow warning panels on the ends. The Tower website is showing all livery variants of this model as sold out.

The 0-6-0 shunter (TOPS class 04) is a Bachmann Brassworks RTR item. This model sold out some time ago but you might find one second-hand (Ebay?).

Hope that's helpful.

Chaz

Edited by chaz

Thanks Chaz. I particularly like the Sulzer type 2 and EE type1 locos.

Do you happen to know what the steam equivilent would be on the Eastern Region?

Bob

A useful book for answering this sort of question would be David Percival's "King's Cross Lineside 1958 - 1984" which tells the story of the transition from steam to diesel. According to the book the first allocation of EE type 1 locos arrived at Hornsey in Oct 59 and replaced the J6 0-6-0s (amongst others) on local goods trains. The Sulzer type 2s were later arrivals in "early 1961" and were transferred from Stratford in exchange for some Brush type 2s. This was done to find a class to work the cross London freights - the Brush locos being deemed too heavy by the SR. In fact the Sulzers were used on many duties, stopping passenger, empty stock and all sorts of freight, so might be thought of as replacing the WD, N2, L1 and even B1 classes.

Chaz

• 2 weeks later...

Golly, Leigh, I'm flattered. I will have an industrial saddle tank running - probably an Ixion Hudswell Clarke which is ready to go. A last ditch effort tomorrow morning might see my Peckett 0-4-0ST ready for action. It let me down (prima donna!) at Warley and was subbed at the last minute by my J52. I have a problem with its plunger pickups - might be a quick job.

I too am looking forward to seeing Pempoul again - a quite superb model.

Apropos the chains on the bogie bolster - the easiest way to tighten the chains might be to overlap a link or two and lock them with CA - that might not be too obvious. I don't have time tomorrow but I will investigate later.

Chaz

Chaz

I think you could tension the chains with a turn or two of fuse wire twisted like a champagne cork retainer. I guess you could somehow hide it, but I am conscious of your comment about the chains taking the paint off the corners of he load.

Still hoping to get a chance to see DG....

Simon

Chaz

I think you could tension the chains with a turn or two of fuse wire twisted like a champagne cork retainer. I guess you could somehow hide it, but I am conscious of your comment about the chains taking the paint off the corners of he load.

Still hoping to get a chance to see DG....

Simon

Not a bad suggestion Simon. However the wagon looks good with its chained load - I'm inclined to leave well alone. The important thing for me is that the load should appear to be fixed in place - which it does.

Chaz

Hi Chaz

Wouldn't want to suggest that you should change something you'd done, more of a "maybe, next time..."!

Cheers

Simon

I'm always ready to listen to/read helpful suggestions Simon. Of course it's up to me if I adopt them or not (Rule One as always).

On the subject of the bogie bolster and its chains I think it might be possible to set the chains up so that fitting the last link results in a tight set-up - but I found it difficult enough with a little slack. I did consider working tensioners based around 16BA nuts and bolts; an elegant solution but very tricky to make. In any case when I consider the large number of compromises I have made on Dock Green this very minor one seems small beer.... :scratchhead:

Chaz