chaz

Great news, thanks. Abingdon is 10 minutes from me so I hope to see you there?!

Have a great Xmas and New Year!

Regards, Deano.

Glad you're pleased. Do come and say hello. I am always happy to chat (after handing over the handset to another team member). 

Chaz

• Like 2

This wagon has never run on Dock Green as it had broken tie-bars between the axle guards. 

post-9071-0-96007200-1545930533_thumb.jpg

I am intending that it should run in the coal train at the next show.

Follow the 3rd link below to "Some weathering projects" to learn more.

Chaz

Edited by chaz
  • Like 4

Chaz,

I might have missed it..  What are the interior (width and height) dimensions of your cassettes?  The are a nice size and I found using them very useful.

Many thanks

Ernie

I will measure one up this evening. 

Chaz

Chaz,

I might have missed it..  What are the interior (width and height) dimensions of your cassettes?  The are a nice size and I found using them very useful.

Many thanks

Ernie

I replied to Ernie in an email as RMweb was down while Andy Y dealt with yesterday's hack - for the sake of completeness the cassette dimensions are as follows...

The bases are cut from 12mm MDF and are 95mm wide.

The sides are cut from 4mm birch plywood and are 110mm high.

Chaz

• 2 months later...

Chaz and his team are at Romsey Model Rail Show today and tomorrow (March 3rd). Well worth a visit if you are in the area.

This is my 2nd chance to see Dock Green and I've just spent a couple of hours watching the arrival and departures. Very entertaining chaps, great job by Roy to cheap things moving as Chaz is extremely popular and spends most of his time chatting with the crowd.

• Like 2

On 02/03/2019 at 16:24, martin.a.ball said:

Chaz and his team are at Romsey Model Rail Show today and tomorrow (March 3rd). Well worth a visit if you are in the area.

This is my 2nd chance to see Dock Green and I've just spent a couple of hours watching the arrival and departures. Very entertaining chaps, great job by Roy to cheap things moving as Chaz is extremely popular and spends most of his time chatting with the crowd.

Not sure I would agree with that "most of his time" or indeed with the "extremely popular" but thanks for the positive comments, most encouraging. We (the team) enjoyed the show which had a very pleasant atmosphere, was well attended with some very knowledgable visitors and lots of youngsters (always good to see).

Chaz

On 27/12/2018 at 17:11, chaz said:

This wagon has never run on Dock Green as it had broken tie-bars between the axle guards. 

post-9071-0-96007200-1545930533_thumb.jpg

I am intending that it should run in the coal train at the next show.

Follow the 3rd link below to "Some weathering projects" to learn more.

Chaz

The 21 tonner did go to Romsey. On Saturday it kept derailing and had to subbed in disgrace. On Saturday evening I glued some lead sheet under the floor and tried it again on Sunday when it behaved itself. it's now a permanent feature in the coal train.

Chaz

Edited by chaz
corrected sentence
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, chaz said:

The 21 tonner did go to Romsey. On Saturday it kept derailing and had to subbed in disgrace. On Saturday evening I glued some lead sheet under the floor and tried it again on Sunday when it behaved itself. it's now a permanent feature in the coal train.

Chaz

Chaz

Thank you for pointing out the “bl**din’ obvious”, I just weighted my two “Felix Pole” wagons by adding some lead sheet inside - I have dummy coal loads made from foam rubber at the moment - and it does seem to have improved their roadholding.  Given that the point motors are not connected up on PD at the moment, the testing was somewhat cursory!

I fear that Abingdon is not going to be possible for me. One day, I will get to see Dock Green in the flesh, I will...

atb

Simon

59 minutes ago, Simond said:

Chaz

Thank you for pointing out the “bl**din’ obvious”, I just weighted my two “Felix Pole” wagons by adding some lead sheet inside - I have dummy coal loads made from foam rubber at the moment - and it does seem to have improved their roadholding.  Given that the point motors are not connected up on PD at the moment, the testing was somewhat cursory!

I fear that Abingdon is not going to be possible for me. One day, I will get to see Dock Green in the flesh, I will...

atb

Simon

“bl**din’ obvious”? Well Simon, the wagon already had lead under the floor that had proved to be enough on my "old" home layout. However on Dock Green it derailed consistently on a couple of points. By doubling the amount of weight I seemed to have solved the problem. I didn't put my lead inside as the wagon runs empty out of the yard (and full in).

Chaz

Hi Chaz,

it is now obvious that despite equalising (they’re Parkside wagons with loose axleboxes) that a lot more weight was required

Some years back, I equalised the wagons by melting a piece of brass wire into the floor and bending it to form a central bearing at one end and gluing the axleboxes at mid travel at the other.  This improved matters, but they were still poor.  Adding a piece of lead flashing 100 mm long and the width of the wagon has made a huge difference.

so I suspect I was dozing at the back of the class..., thanks for waking me up!

cheers

Simon

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, chaz said:

Dock Green will be at the one day show in Abingdon on Saturday March 16th. If you are anywhere near on the day why not pop along for a look? Follow the link for venue details, a layout list etc

http://admrc.org.uk/exhibitions/abingdon-exhibition-2019

Chaz

Fingers crossed that nothing gets in the way. I'm scheduled to be home on that day!

Regards, Deano.

I am seriously considering disposing of Dock Green at the end of the year. It has appeared at most of the shows in Southern England and a few further afield. I will be sad to see it go but I do need the space it takes up when stored for a new project and taking it to a lot more shows is no longer that attractive.

Chaz

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

Chaz,

that would be a momentous, but entirely understandable, step to take.  I, and I’m sure many others, have thoroughly enjoyed your thread, and I have certainly learned from the discussions over the last few years.  

So thank you for that!

if you do decide to move it on, I do hope it finds a good home, and that it will go out on the road from time to time.

And yes, I’d, still very much like to see it in the flesh!

Best

Simon

• Agree 7

Chaz

Have to agree with everything Simon has said. I picked up this thread mid way through 2012 and really enjoyed seeing the layout develop over the years. I've been fortunate to see Dock Green a couple of times and it is a superb layout that positively exudes atmosphere and captures the time and place. I'll be sad to see it go.

Stephen

• Agree 1

10 hours ago, Simond said:

Chaz,

that would be a momentous, but entirely understandable, step to take.  I, and I’m sure many others, have thoroughly enjoyed your thread, and I have certainly learned from the discussions over the last few years.  

So thank you for that!

if you do decide to move it on, I do hope it finds a good home, and that it will go out on the road from time to time.

And yes, I’d, still very much like to see it in the flesh!

Best

Simon

9 hours ago, N15class said:

I was fortunate enough to of seen this lovely layout. It is better in the flesh than it is on here. Good luck with the new venture.

9 hours ago, Warspite said:

Chaz

Have to agree with everything Simon has said. I picked up this thread mid way through 2012 and really enjoyed seeing the layout develop over the years. I've been fortunate to see Dock Green a couple of times and it is a superb layout that positively exudes atmosphere and captures the time and place. I'll be sad to see it go.

Stephen

Thanks lads! I have been much encouraged by the support expressed on this forum, the many positive comments have been very welcome. I have also enjoyed the reception the layout has received at the many shows we have taken it to. It has not been to everyone's taste of course, what layout is?

I had a number of aims for the layout when I first started sketching out ideas and I have been lucky enough to achieve most of them. Dock Green is the only layout I have exhibited but as it has been such a success I do intend my next project to "go on the road" as well.

I do feel that it's now time for me to move on. I have some ideas which I will be developing over the next year or two, for a very different project but I don't intend to say anything more about that yet.

I don't know what will happen to Dock Green - I would prefer to sell the layout to someone who will keep its essential form intact - it needs a good home. It may well be that the stock will have to be sold separately, as it's value is inevitably many times the value of the the layout. 

We have two exhibitions to attend this year - we will be at Abingdon this coming Saturday (16th) and at the show in Worthing in September (26/27th). My present intention is that the Worthing show will be the last. Of course what a new owner (should there be one) will do will be out of my hands.

Chaz

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Hello Chaz. I have enjoyed seeing Dock Green in operation, and the thread running with it has been a "must read"

I hope that it does not disappear completely as it has been an inspirational layout.

Best for the future

Rgds Andrew

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, AJon30 said:

Hello Chaz. I have enjoyed seeing Dock Green in operation, and the thread running with it has been a "must read"

I hope that it does not disappear completely as it has been an inspirational layout.

Best for the future

Rgds Andrew

Thanks for those very positive comments Andrew. Much appreciated. It was a hard decision to make but a necessary one that will allow my next project space to develop.

Chaz

Chaz I got to agree with everyone's posts. I've thoroughly enjoyed seeing Dock Green and it is definitely one of my favourite layouts and it, along with this thread, have provided me with a lot of inspiration.  I'm sure it will get a good home and it would be good to see it at a show again. Thank you for sharing it with us and I'll look forward to your next project.

Steve.

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, sb67 said:

Chaz I got to agree with everyone's posts. I've thoroughly enjoyed seeing Dock Green and it is definitely one of my favourite layouts and it, along with this thread, have provided me with a lot of inspiration.  I'm sure it will get a good home and it would be good to see it at a show again. Thank you for sharing it with us and I'll look forward to your next project.

Steve.

Thanks for that Steve. I think Dock Green is a layout that appeals best to the enthusiast who knows what he is looking at. I have had numerous conversations with show visitors and often the most interested have been those who appreciate the nature of the time and place depicted.

Chaz

• Agree 2

It's an area I'm familiar with and Dock Green captures it well, you've created  a lot of atmosphere from the rubbish strewn fire escape through to the office under the canopy at the other end there's loads to look at even without a train running.

What's your next project?

Steve. 

What's your next project?

Steve. 

I think your question has been anticipated and answered already!

On 13/03/2019 at 09:15, chaz said:

I do feel that it's now time for me to move on. I have some ideas which I will be developing over the next year or two, for a very different project but I don't intend to say anything more about that yet.

Edited by daifly
Clarity
  • Thanks 1