chaz

Will do Chaz, thanks.  I'm not a fan of driving but it looks pretty straight forward in the car.

Steve.

You are certainly closer than we are. Our estimated journey time (from the Maptools site) is 3 hours 17 minutes. For the first time we are going to stop over on the Sunday evening and make the trek back to Hampshire in the morning.

Chaz

Here are four more photos taken at the Brighton show. I will post them without comment, ask me if you want any details.

post-9071-0-44509900-1543081105.jpg

post-9071-0-86222600-1543081141.jpg

post-9071-0-80991300-1543081155.jpg

post-9071-0-98021400-1543081176.jpg

It is becoming more and more difficult to find new views, but that isn't going to stop me trying. I will take some at the Peterborough show in a fortnight's time.

Chaz

• Like 11

Always a pleasure to see pictures, from whatever angle/ location. Dock Green is an inspiration to myself and I'm sure many others too.

Really hope to see it in the flesh sooner rather than later. (Peterborough potentially, work permitting?!)

Regards, Deano.

Four more snaps from Brighton, two of my Peckett (from the excellent Agenoria kit)...

post-9071-0-03212700-1543141536.jpg

post-9071-0-39491200-1543141555.jpg

...and two of wagons.

post-9071-0-16947000-1543141603.jpg

post-9071-0-40039800-1543141629.jpg

That last shot has the camera being almost blind to the weathering, making this pre-grouping survivor look impossibly clean.

Chaz

• Like 15

I've said it before but I'll never tire of seeing photo's of Dock Green, thanks for posting Chaz.

Steve.

Thanks for that very positive comment Steve. Such postings are a great encouragement.

It may interest you to know that when I looked at my Lightroom Library facility this morning I found that I have 4921 (!) photos on the hard disc of Dock Green of which 1369 are views of the layout taken at shows. Most of these have been taken with my compact camera - a Panasonic DMC-T26. I use this in preference to my Nikon DSLR as it is much smaller and easy to place in the layout to get those ground level shots. 

I hope to get plenty of pictures of the J6 at the forthcoming Peterborough show which will give me a new focus for the photos. It does get difficult to find new angles.

Chaz

• Like 4

Thanks for that very positive comment Steve. Such postings are a great encouragement.

It may interest you to know that when I looked at my Lightroom Library facility this morning I found that I have 4921 (!) photos on the hard disc of Dock Green of which 1369 are views of the layout taken at shows. Most of these have been taken with my compact camera - a Panasonic DMC-T26. I use this in preference to my Nikon DSLR as it is much smaller and easy to place in the layout to get those ground level shots. 

I hope to get plenty of pictures of the J6 at the forthcoming Peterborough show which will give me a new focus for the photos. It does get difficult to find new angles.

Chaz

You're welcome Chaz, I guess there's enough photos there to keep us all happy for a bit ;-)

You're welcome Chaz, I guess there's enough photos there to keep us all happy for a bit ;-)

Well, here are the last four from Brighton. Imagine that strange noise is coming from the bottom of the barrel....

post-9071-0-16743800-1543352430.jpg

You will forgive me if I post one more of the J6, sitting on the stretch of track below the signal. In the cramped space of Dock Green yard this often serves as a loco spur. We could run locos off-stage and onto a cassette, but parking them below the starter keeps them in sight.

post-9071-0-91951100-1543352464.jpg

I bought some pigments at AC Models in Eastleigh the other day so maybe the days of these too-clean road vehicles are numbered.

post-9071-0-24197300-1543352483.jpg

The porter drinks tea and tries to ignore those heavy looking boxes that will need to be man-handled onto a trolley.

post-9071-0-53402600-1543352513.jpg

One of my favourite views across the goods platform to the far end of the reception line. Locos sit here until the yard pilot takes their train to the headshunt.

Chaz

• Like 12

A cautionary note...

Before the Brighton show I fitted all my Peco points (except the "Y") with the crossing inserts made and sold by Parliamentary Trains. As I have no way of testing the railway at home all I could do was to propel a few wagons through the points and watch what happened. All appeared well with the bump through the crossing eliminated.

Once the layout was erected at the Brighton venue I did what I always do before the public enter - I ran a few moves. It was immediately clear that the inserts were causing problems with several of the locos, lifting the wheels enough to cause a stall. Suspecting that I had not pushed the inserts fully home I checked for this but couldn't find any evidence that they were sitting high in the crossing. All of my stock, apart from a few RTR locos, have Slater's wheels - including the worst affected - a kit-built 0-4-0ST which is compensated and usually runs well. This stalled through every crossing I tested it on. Reluctantly I removed and discarded the inserts. IMO a stall is much worse than wheel drop.

Now I have read postings on RMweb which have enthused about the product - so I was disappointed to find that a neat solution to a long-acknowledged problem didn't work for me.

Chaz

Edited by chaz

They are laser cut MDF or plastic in the shape of a shallow “x” which partially fill in the common crossing of 0F track (ie Peco) so the stock can run through without wheel drop - wheel drop is a consequence of fundamentally incompatible wheels (narrow, nearer to scale) and crossings (flangeways is overscale) so the wheel is briefly unsupported - this should not happen. The piece when fitted is intended to support the flange.

My mate, John uses plasticine. Might work for Chaz!

If in doubt, look at & compare with 0MF or S7 track and wheels.

Best

Simon

They are laser cut MDF or plastic in the shape of a shallow “x” which partially fill in the common crossing of 0F track (ie Peco) so the stock can run through without wheel drop - wheel drop is a consequence of fundamentally incompatible wheels (narrow, nearer to scale) and crossings (flangeways is overscale) so the wheel is briefly unsupported - this should not happen. The piece when fitted is intended to support the flange.

My mate, John uses plasticine. Might work for Chaz!

If in doubt, look at & compare with 0MF or S7 track and wheels.

Best

Simon

Thanks for the explanation, with which I concur. Of course anybody who doesn't like Peco's compromised standards is free to build their own track (something I have done for my On30 layout - no wheel drop over my switches).

Chaz

Edited by chaz

Peco’s compromised standards are indeed just that. A commercially available, well engineered, solidly built piece of trackwork which accepts almost any finescale wheel profile from the last thirty or forty years, typically without derailment. In this, it meets most priorities of most modellers.

A lesson I have learned over the years, whilst hand-built stuff is nicer looking, and offer better running, after 20 years in the garden, copperclad might start to fall to bits. It’s a whole lot easier to replace a Peco point with a drop-in item than to perform surgery on aged track, and I would certainly go straight to Peco for any outdoor track-work.

The plasticine works fine!

Best

Simon

The J6 has at times seemed like a Jonah, with various problems preventing its use, the last of which was the failure of an ESU LokSound decoder just before the Brighton show opened. On Friday I removed the "dud" and installed a Lenz Standard V2 decoder, plugged into an 8 way socket - for easy change back to sound in due course.

As this model has had a bit of a chequered history so far I approached the set-up programming with some misgivings. Hooking up my five-foot test track to my Laptop via a SPROG and using the excellent "paged" mode that the SPROG software has I set the address (4253 - based on the loco number 64253), the acceleration delay (25), braking delay (15) and top speed (48). Switching to drive mode produced a smooth controllable response with no risk of it running amok on the short runs of Dock Green. RESULT!  :danced:

post-9071-0-96635800-1543765406.jpg

So 64253 will be running at Peterborough and will be, for me, the star of the show. It will replace the class 26 which will sulk in a cupboard.

Chaz

• Like 10

*wipes forehead theatrically*

It was great to have a chat at Reading on Saturday, and it’s nice to hear the electronic issues seem to have been overcome now. Sadly I won’t be able to see the loco running at Peterborough, but I sincerely hope (after all the false starts) it gives long and happy service on Dock Green.

• Like 3

*wipes forehead theatrically*

It was great to have a chat at Reading on Saturday, and it’s nice to hear the electronic issues seem to have been overcome now. Sadly I won’t be able to see the loco running at Peterborough, but I sincerely hope (after all the false starts) it gives long and happy service on Dock Green.

Thanks for that Heather. The running now seems as smooth as you might expect with a Maxon motor and ABC helical gearbox. I have a feeling it may have a long stint as yard pilot even though it will be running in "Stealth Mode". This may cause operators to scratch their heads as the extra length (the tender) may cause problems on the headshunt! Of course I won't be really happy until it has a sound chip in it but at least it can figure in lots of still photographs.

post-9071-0-14109000-1543847206.jpg

I think it looks splendid and its grubby condition will fit right in on Dock Green - but once again the camera overlooks all that nice weathering - check out the photo in my previous post #4943 for a more truthful picture.

Chaz

Edited by chaz
  • Like 6

True, so true,

Now, a pannier...

A WHAT? The closest we are ever going to get to one of those Swindon things is my rather nice Ivatt saddle tank.

post-9071-0-93277900-1543913173.jpg

A model which caused me much trouble, the kit being pretty awful. It was tempting to paint it in lined BR black as 68846 was so treated but I thought that so atypical that it actually runs under a thick layer of filth.

post-9071-0-48894600-1543913650.jpg

Those are my two ex-GNR tank locos - now joined by the J6. It wasn't unusual for a shunting tank to be so neglected that the layers of dirt completely obliterated the BR totem on the tank sides.

On a more conciliatory note I might point out that those fans of pannier tanks (and there appear to be a few misguided souls of that persuasion) never have to look far at most (all?) exhibitions to find one - if Dock Green is not at a show you might search in vain for anything GNR, LNER or BR(E). So let's have less of your nonsense.   :jester:

Chaz

• Like 1