chaz

200 pages - another major landmark! 

Congratulations!

best

Simon

And very nearly 5000 posts.

And coming up to 300,000 views. Golly, I must be doing something right.

Chaz,

i love the finish of the filled coal wagons in the third photograph. Will you divulge their creation to us ,please.

Kind Regards,Derek.

Some time ago I did cover the painting of these wagons but with 200 pages to scan through it would take either of us for ever to find...so here's a brief summary. 

The bare wood was painted plank by plank with matte enamels, using various shades mixed from light greys, creams, buffs, browns etc. I used a metalwork scriber, cocktail stick etc to scratch wood grain effects into the wet paint. Metal work was painted using the two rust colours that are in the Railmatch range. Some BR wagon grey was dry brushed onto some of the metal work to look like the last vestiges of paint. I brush or blow talc across the surface of the rust colours to add a gritty texture to the surface. 

Underframes are painted dirty black or coal black and are then dry-brushed with traces of rust and grime (a home brewed shade of leather and matte black).

HTH

Chaz

A few more from Peterborough...

attachicon.gifP1080657.jpg

Interesting the way the weathering is more obvious in some photos than others. Must be to do with lighting and angles?

attachicon.gifP1080661.jpg

A B1 tender first on a trip freight? I'm not going to say it never happened but....

attachicon.gifP1080669.jpg

LNER milk van in as filthy condition as such big vans always seemed to get.

attachicon.gifP1080671.jpg

The B1 waits to take a return working out of the yard. These engines were one of the best of Thompson's designs, but why on earth doesn't the bottom of the cab sides line up with the tender - it would look neater.

attachicon.gifP1080673.jpg

A Gresley 4W Pigeon van and a GW Fruit D, both in the early BR crimson but with varying states of grime.

Chaz

An ex-Great Western van on Dock Green? No further questions M'Lud. 

An ex-Great Western van on Dock Green? No further questions M'Lud. 

They got everywhere, but no problem - the vans were much more attractive than the locomotives....   :sungum:

Edited by chaz

Hard to avoid the fact that a London Transport pannier would look at home in an urban setting like this. Just sayin’...!

At least the colour would be an improvement on what my late father used to call Swindon Khaki.

Enough of this merry banter, let's have a few more snaps...

post-9071-0-41702100-1544825288.jpg

Nobody would take such a photo in steam days. 

post-9071-0-31520100-1544825389.jpg

The J6 appears in most of the photos I shot on Sunday - inevitable really as it spent the day as yard pilot. Here it peeps into a snap of one of the ex-SR vans.

post-9071-0-38989300-1544825654.jpg

Pictures taken from the operators' side often have awful backgrounds.

post-9071-0-73792800-1544825737.jpg

A "nothing much happening" shot - probably what you would see from one of the bridges looking down on the yard.

post-9071-0-49457700-1544825860.jpg

I really ought to treat the bridge girders to a dose of weathering powders - maybe before our next outing in March...

Chaz

• Like 9

Quote:  I really ought to treat the bridge girders to a dose of weathering powders - maybe before our next outing in March...

Chaz

....and where/when might that be? 

Regards, Deano.

Thanks for asking, however I can't divulge the details until the team has been formed. Without enough operators we don't go. As soon as I get three people to agree to go I will post the information - so far I have two...

Chaz 

Thanks for asking, however I can't divulge the details until the team has been formed. Without enough operators we don't go. As soon as I get three people to agree to go I will post the information - so far I have two...

Chaz 

Thanks Chaz. I await patiently!

Regards, Deano.

The last photos from Peterborough, all of them featuring the J6.

post-9071-0-24796500-1544869836.jpg

post-9071-0-11168900-1544869853.jpg

post-9071-0-64211600-1544869869.jpg

post-9071-0-79349700-1544869886.jpg

post-9071-0-88595600-1544869899.jpg

post-9071-0-53289500-1544869923.jpg

post-9071-0-25363800-1544869948.jpg

That's the lot for now. I will post more when I get the chance to shoot some, maybe in March....

Chaz

• Like 12

Thanks Chaz. I await patiently!

Regards, Deano.

As do I.... plenty of time before the show? Well, maybe but I do have to confirm a.s.a.p. to make the show organiser's life easier!

Chaz

• Like 1

Enough of this merry banter, let's have a few more snaps...

attachicon.gifP1080675.jpg

Nobody would take such a photo in steam days. 

Chaz,

Now having seen 'Dock Green' in the flesh, your pictures are viewed with a different perspective...

I might have asked before so excuse me.....  Was the crate on the Lowmac based on a prototype or is it freelance?

post-2484-0-32108000-1544872973.jpg

I have seen such crates at a local factory and they all appear to be quite basic in construction, using rough sawn timber and put together using various skill levels of carpentry.  Some are a box that contains the product, others are a case build up around the object for protection from damage whilst in transit.  Any prototype pictures would be appreciated.

Thanks

Ernie

Chaz,

Now having seen 'Dock Green' in the flesh, your pictures are viewed with a different perspective...

I might have asked before so excuse me.....  Was the crate on the Lowmac based on a prototype or is it freelance?

attachicon.gifE76804 and Crate.jpg

I have seen such crates at a local factory and they all appear to be quite basic in construction, using rough sawn timber and put together using various skill levels of carpentry.  Some are a box that contains the product, others are a case build up around the object for protection from damage whilst in transit.  Any prototype pictures would be appreciated.

Thanks

Ernie

Totally freelance Ernie, as indeed is the chaining. The size of the crate was chosen to justify loading it on as Lowmac. With hindsight I suspect that there should be more chains to make the load safe, one at each corner to the nearest ring? However this task is right at the bottom of a very long list....DHYB!

Chaz

• Like 2

Totally freelance Ernie, as indeed is the chaining. The size of the crate was chosen to justify loading it on as Lowmac. With hindsight I suspect that there should be more chains to make the load safe, one at each corner to the nearest ring? However this task is right at the bottom of a very long list....DHYB!

Chaz

From a loading perspective the chains are spot on.  The fact that they are crossed gives more restraint, so you get the thumbs up from the loading inspector.  You could add some small blocks of wood on the top of the bearers under the crate.  These would ideally be bolted through and stop the crate from having any tendency to creep sideways...

IF it had come from the Western Region and IF the yard supervisor was using his old stock of labels, such a label would be on both sides of the wagon.  You will note the reference to 'sheets' these were the canvas sheets used over loads, all serial numbered and accounted for.  Sheets returned were folded for transit.  Another element of railway work probably gone for ever....

post-2484-0-00377700-1544880037_thumb.jpg

Anyway, must do some modelling......

• Like 3

It’s really pleasing to see the J6 finally at home and working well after it’s rather rocky start in life. It looks really at home on Dock Green, and I hope I may get the pleasure of seeing the layout again sometime.

Watching the inside motion during a slow speed shunt is a real pleasure, I particularly likes the painting of the parts, not sure if it is lubricant or real oil, but the effect is 'just like the real thing'.

Watching the inside motion during a slow speed shunt is a real pleasure, I particularly likes the painting of the parts, not sure if it is lubricant or real oil, but the effect is 'just like the real thing'.

There was a fair amount of grimy paint applied over the red which largely vanished after some abortive attempts to run-in the mechanism with Brasso, which was removed with IPA. There is oil there of course.

I have to agree with you, watching the inside motion is a real pleasure. 

Chaz

• Like 1

It’s really pleasing to see the J6 finally at home and working well after it’s rather rocky start in life. It looks really at home on Dock Green, and I hope I may get the pleasure of seeing the layout again sometime.

Yes it is Heather. At Peterborough several of the more knowledgable visitors noticed the motion between the frames, I saw several nudges from friend to friend and appreciative smiles. I'm not sure it isn't more worthwhile than the missing sounds (interestingly they cost much the same to add to a model).

The loco will be as permanent a fixture on the layout as the tank engines. I have to thank you and Paul for making such a good job of the model.

Chaz

Edited by chaz
  • Like 3

Dock Green will be at two shows in March.

We will be at the Romsey show on the 2nd/3rd and at the one-day show in Abingdon (near Oxford) on the 16th. 

I will post details of the venues in the new year.

Chaz

• Like 4

Dock Green will be at two shows in March.

We will be at the Romsey show on the 2nd/3rd and at the one-day show in Abingdon (near Oxford) on the 16th. 

I will post details of the venues in the new year.

Chaz

Great news, thanks. Abingdon is 10 minutes from me so I hope to see you there?!

Have a great Xmas and New Year!

Regards, Deano.