Dapol Class 56 - Photo Review

Andy Y

Thanks Jim; I think that's a fair summary so if we can now leave the topic to the 56 rather than polarised opinions about the principles of inaccuracies in any model.

• Like 7

One thing that always draws my attention before anything else is about as basic as it can get - the coupler pockets.

The model looks great to my eyes (I'm not too fussed about detail differences, as long as the overall thing looks right. Apologies...), however, this model like, for instance, the Farish Class 37, suffers from clunky, space-filling coupler sockets that immediately draw my attention.

This need not be the case, most continental manufacturers now install close couplers (body attached) to their locos, so there's no need to 'extend' the bogie in this way.

Before the finer details are addressed, I would like to see this improvement made, it's already been tried and tested in service with other manufacturers so should not be too difficult to implement.

Just one of many opinions, but it'd be nice to see a relatively standard, discreet coupling mechanism on the UK market.

Michael

Hi Michael,

The coupling pocket is something that has concerned me greatly over the last few years.

The problem is it is a set size as defined by the MOROP/NEM standards and as such fixed. You then have the minimum distance needed for clearance etc.

I always said that if I were doing a loco such as the 56, if I wanted the coupling box less obtrusive id remove (in cad/cam stage) the gear on the front axle, effectively making the loco a 1-bo-bo-1 wheel arrangement.

However with the 56 I wanted maximum weight and adhesion so went all wheel drive as a compromise.

You will find its not as obtrusive in the flesh though, I'm glad to say.

Talking of which the EWS and coal sector loco's should be in the UK within about 10 days.

Cheers

Dave

• Like 2

With all due respect to Dave, I'm not sure he would have lost as much traction as he thinks making a 1-Bo-Bo-1. The Life-Like E7 chassis used on the TPM (?) Class 56 kit is an A1A-A1A, and these pull very strongly indeed (usually better than a Grafar 47 of the same vintage). I supect it comes down to the weight distribution, and much less is carried by the outboard axles than the inboard set.

However, you can't fault the logic of going for all-wheel drive.

All the very best

Les

• 3 weeks later...

Hi everyone,

Coal sector and EWS class 56's came in today and will start shipping to stockists who have ordered them and are in good standing tomorrow.

X/C MK3 coaches also arrived.

The other class 56's and EMT & I/C executive MK3 coaches are in next month.

cheers

Dave

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hi gang,

Both 56s been to work and poured over by several 00 modellers and one continental modeller in N. General view was wow!

At home both run at well matched speeds and look the part lighting is best seen sofar. As I am DDC not sure about light control on DCC systems.

The bogies are well moulded and look the part. The body also is very good with fine details and handrails, etched fitted side grills and moulded roof vents and fans/ grills all at a very high standard.

The model is well up the standard of recent releases and will please most people.

The running is the best seen with the heavy metal chassis and quietest gears from the Dapol suppliers.

What has to be said is that the class is a complex one with 135 locos with very few ending up as they started with variations of buffer beams.side grills, horn covers, cantrail grills, handrail lengths headlamps, split front handrails and three basic cab structures that resulted in variations to the roofdome/window area join. Add to this accident repairs and 56042 that had a short life with a prototype bogie for the 58.

The body available now has both oval and round buffers and hopefully these will be matched to loco liveries The front buffer cowl is suited to the uk build as is side grill but these first few are sold as Romanian- they can be better seen as early uk build. the handrails suit all the later variations - but were retrofitted to the rest- not checked early withdrawls . The horn grill, buffer cowl as short lip along top and uk side grill makes the shell fit for 56031- 56055 only .

The tooling has the later clean air compartment grills fitted to the no2 end which commenced in mid - late 1995with 56041,68,102

It has to be said that none of the 00 modellers spotted the clean air grills issue. 56018 is infact correct for EWS livery. But as ever the no2 mod will be "wrong" for a few prototypes and thus be wrong for some grill counters!

Livery application is very good with clear printing etc. Issues with models not having beasties/ depot plaques/arrows might cause some wailling and nashing but for me I can add transfers and etches to customise. 56013 is infact right for part of its career to be plaque and arrow free.

The body shell as before just clips in and has two mini plugs to detach chassis fully - not necessary for DCC chip feeding.

The bogies clip in easily as well . The bits bags give hoses and working easy couplers diagram with instructions clearly shows how to fit hoses.

In short a great model with lots done for the rtr runners and a great base for the fiddlers and detailers, the coating of grime and just good old filth will keep the weathering clan happy. I look forward to further releases - wallet my cry a bit but a lovely model.

It will be good to see the tooling changes made to vary the theme.

As noted TPM already do the side grills so the biggest change catered for and tonight I looked at the farish 47 buffer beam moulding on the early release as this has a full cowl and might make a basis for a cut and shunt.

Go on buy one or more the class were seen nationwide over their career in some 30 livery variations!

For pictures see Andys photo review.

Robert

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Hi gang to add to above, a quick trawl of 56 group web gallery and flikr/ goggle images :

For the Doncaster batch 56031 - 56055 with small horn grill and no 2 grill end mods all bar 56042 gained the no 2 end grills.

However 56032 only one that matches 56018 exactly. 037/38 had EWS but got splithandrails and square headlamps. 051 got EW&S these three close.

56047 in coal livery before grill mods is a close one for 56013 054 got coal but by time it got grill mods it was in Transrail livery with sq headlamps.

yet to be released is the RF livery - well preserved 56040 will be spot on but will need nameplates -Oystermouth..

The above batch shell was the type used for the NSE sponsored engineers pool that ended in Dutch and transrail dutch- these got the grill mods whilst in this livery so a respray option.

The body group would best be triple grey transrail which would be possible on 56013 with just a little work.

hope this helps

Robert

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Is there any update on when we can expect the blue Class 56? An earlier posting says 'next month' but as this was late July does it mean August or September?

A picture of the blue one is eagerly awaited. Just off the ferry from Zeebrugge after its trip through Austria etc. Oh the memories.......!

• RMweb Premium

Is there any update on when we can expect the blue Class 56? An earlier posting says 'next month' but as this was late July does it mean August or September?

Don't expect a quick reply from Dapol Dave at the mo, he's off on his hols.

• RMweb Gold

I am looking at converting one of these Romanian ones to a later build, DCS 56303 to be precise. I know there are differences such as the grelle at the front but is it a lot of changes as I would like to do this loco now rather than wait itll the later build versions are released by Dapol ?

Now that I have an EWS 56018, I can add the following personal opinions - Wow, an impressive model and far better than the Grafar one, tyhats 3 to go to Ebay at some point then! Anyway the running is great, haulage not an issue as it pulled my 40 wagon MGR train without any issues.

I have only 1 moan, what happened to the EWS beasties on the cab side? All the piccies I have seen of this machine has then on it, is it modelled on a time before they were added or is this another lisencing issue rearing its ugly head?

Anyway, either way, a model I am delighted with! Way to go Dapol! Please expand the range with some more liveries - maybe 56311 In grey and 56312 in Artemis livery? Would also like to see Loadhaul and Transrail

Best wishes

Simon

• RMweb Premium

It got my wondering if Dapol Class 58 bogies could be fitted to a Class 56 chassis to create 56042?

the answer is no just tried and the 58 bogies are to long

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi re 56042 I too tried a quick swap - looks like a bit of a trim on 58 bogies should work. to note the bogies on 56042 were prototypes for the 58 and not the same, mind you to my untrained eye look the same in principle. Certainly one i will do on a second blue purchase.

robert

• Like 2