The Stationmaster Looks at Old Oak Common Open Day in 1981

• RMweb Gold

Mike,

Thank you for the memories.

Looking at the bags that Mrs Stationmaster is carrying, one presumes she was off to the west end on a shopping spree to make up for you having to slave away on the two footplates for the afternoon.

Regards

Richard

Great photos Mike, bringing back many happy memories those.... I recognised Inspector Ernie straight away, he was with us on my very first mainline trip out of Old Oak aboard 50 038 in 1983, taking a test train to Taunton and back (the driver's name was Fred something, an old hand at the time). If I remember correctly, the fireman on 92220 for the open day was Derek something or other, a nice Welsh chap who I also later worked with. Quite an intimidating gruff looking fella at first aquaintance but typically friendly to boot.

The remarkable thing about the photos is there's not a weed in sight....

Edit : I recognise the old driver on 5051 with Ernie but I can't quite remember his name!

Edited by Rugd1022

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for sharing these Mike. Being pilotman on that shuttle must have been a glorious way to spend some time. Definitely a good day at work!

Your pictures also remind us just what has been lost. Travelling to and from Taunton in April gave me an opportunity to view the site as I sped past on HSTs and I was horrified to see how large parts of it appeared to be derelict. Okay, Crossrail and HS2 may change this, but for those of us who remember it as a major London depot it still feels like a significant chunk of railway history has been lost.

That APT set makes what Hornby produced completely prototypical.

Good point. I knew that the Hornby formation was the shortest set physically possible but I did not realise it had actually run in that form.

• RMweb Gold

Mike,

Thank you for the memories.

Looking at the bags that Mrs Stationmaster is carrying, one presumes she was off to the west end on a shopping spree to make up for you having to slave away on the two footplates for the afternoon.

Regards

Richard

Fortunately no Richard; she hung around more or less patiently all day but her reward was a driving lesson - on 92220 - at the end of the day ;)

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for the memories Mike. I didn't even recall there was a Deltic and Class 86 on display, but I do very clearly remember the run back to Paddington behind 5051 - and being slightly disappointed that it used Platform 1a rather going into the train shed proper so not being able to get the photo I had hoped for. I had to wait a few years for a trip behind 5029 to get that.

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for the memories Mike. I didn't even recall there was a Deltic and Class 86 on display, but I do very clearly remember the run back to Paddington behind 5051 - and being slightly disappointed that it used Platform 1a rather going into the train shed proper so not being able to get the photo I had hoped for. I had to wait a few years for a trip behind 5029 to get that.

Sorry about that Andrew - 1A was used purposely to keep the expected crowds clear of the main station and allow a reasonable degree of control and ticketing compliance. The best bit with the Deltic was after the crowds had gone when it was started up in the Factory creating not only a greatly amplified noise but a major smoke screen.

The worst bit of the whole event was when we were shunting in the the APT and after folk had been to a lot of trouble to get it, and it had all been very 'touch and go' whether it would or wouldn't be sent, it arrived straight off a test run and was duly propelled back onto that side of the sidings outside the Factory. I was on the ground at the leading end trying to make sure we didn't go too far and looked back to see the vehicles at all sorts of angles giving the heart-stopping impression that it was off the road so I quickly stopped it - only for the two of us controlling the move to find the tilt worked beautifully in Old Oak depot and the rather curvy track was sending vehicles in different directions; so fortunately we hadn't broken it after all.

• Like 10

I remember the 1967(?) open day at OOC where they had a Blue Pullman on display. there was a DMU shuttle from Paddington and I still have the souvenir ticket around somewhere.

Some nice pics there Mike.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...
  • RMweb Gold

I remember as a child visiting my grandmother who lived close to Cranmore in Somerset, About 100 yards down the lane there was a level crossing and David Shepard's locos used to trundle past on a regular basis. Once while watching from the lane. Black Prince stopped and asked me if I wanted to drive him!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...
  • RMweb Gold

Does anyone have a list of what was on display that day, in particular the 50 just inside in the Factory? I went on the Sunday, on 5051/92220. I still have a coal ovoid that may have accidentally jumped into my bag whilst I was eating sarnies.....

Edited by rodent279
  • Like 1

Does anyone have a list of what was on display that day, in particular the 50 just inside in the Factory? I went on the Sunday, on 5051/92220. I still have a coal ovoid that may have accidentally jumped into my bag whilst I was eating sarnies.....

It won’t help with what was where during the open days, but in general this site is often helpful: http://www.bropendays.co.uk/oldoak1981.html

The 50 inside the factory was 50036. Also in the factory were 55014, 37180

Outside the factory was 47500, 56037, 33025, 86209

Around the turntable were 50003, 47158, 31207 and at least another four 47s that I can't identify from my slightly shaky 110 format photos on the day.

Hope this helps

Sam