Bachmann City of Truro

Implacable

Obviously my views on price are not shared by everybody which is fine. But if Hornby and Bachmann bring in all their 2010 ranges at that sort of price I'm afraid I will be one of those priced out of that part of the ready to run market. I will not be alone either. Reading many of the comments on here I am surprised that in these recessionary times there is so much spare cash to spend on previously unexpected models at this sort of price. Good old Barclaycard eh? It has been predicted that 20 high street "names" may close in the new year. How many model shops will follow suit I wonder due to this type of production. Anyway enough of that doom and gloom.

I'd still like to know how much NRM are getting from the ??145.00. It can't be that secret or sensitive. Come on NRM spill the beans.

RichardS

• Like 1

Firstly, I'm certainly going to try and get one, but just a couple of observations from Chris Leigh's sample. Why does Bachmann's Great Western lining always seem so 'heavy' and orange-looking compared to Hornby's? I was put off getting a Hall due to that. Another detail, the real City of Truro does not have a buffer beam number (and I don't think Great Western engines did when they had Indian Red frames), so why has the model, I wonder? Also it appears to have "No." on the left hand side of the buffer beam, and I've never seen that on a Great Western engine! (OK, someone will now prove otherwise.....).

And I hope that front coupling mounting is detachable without butchery, it looks soooo ugly!

*drools* Looks beautiful. I don't think the price is that unreasonable either, its quite high by British standards but given the work/investment involved fair enough. Although I would like to know how much teh NRM is getting from each one

• RMweb Gold

Yes plates come with the loco name No & tender plates (quote)

Full set of plates inc builder's plates. Also spare front bogie (if you want to cut the coupler box off) and a bag of details including fire irons and spare tender handbrake/water scoop standards incase of breakage. Now we need some decent clerestories......

CHRIS LEIGH

Thanks Chris.Does the front coupler just pull out as normal ?What do you mean by the coupler box.

• RMweb Premium

I assume he means the NEM pocket clearly visable on the front bogie. Obviously the loco will look better with it removed, yet by providing a spare bogie, Bachmann have also given the moddeler a simple way of reinstating it should the need arise.

I would expect a product launch where COT is currently, GWSR Toddington, in short order if all that has been said is correct.

You may be correct, or perhaps it was a coincidence that a load of people in Bachmann jackets were taking photos of a OO City of Truro on the running plate of a considerably bigger City of Truro at Toddington earlier today!

I knew about the model/release for some time and was trying to drop a few hints with my comments but nobody seemed to clock on! Still, doesn't it look fantastic, well done to Bachmann, I wonder what's next?!

I wouldn't say nobody caught on. Today's news is delightful but with all the hints out there not a total surprise. There were rumours pointing to Bachmann doing the City of Truro for the NRM circulating for some time (hence the existence of this thread prior to today, though wrongly placed in the Hornby bucket) but it is a credit to everyone involved that no one in the know leaked anything definitive.

Thanks to Chris Leigh for posting pictures so soon!

It would have been nice for those of us not living under GMT to have the NRM online shop up to date, so I'll have to make the international call tomorrow - it's way too late now. I assume that 01925 467 150 translates to +44-1925-467-150.

• RMweb Gold

But if Hornby and Bachmann bring in all their 2010 ranges at that sort of price I'm afraid I will be one of those priced out of that part of the ready to run market. I will not be alone either.

Interesting you should say that, myself and others had similar views a few years back when Bachmann and Hornby announced big price hikes.

They are still around and so are we, but what I did find was that I buy just the ones I need or really like now. I used to make many whimsical purchases, but think twice now. Which is no bad thing I guess. wink.gif

Reading many of the comments on here I am surprised that in these recessionary times there is so much spare cash to spend on previously unexpected models at this sort of price. Good old Barclaycard eh?

Not always, its called saving. With a bit of planning and self control its quite easy to plan for these things. Not everyone lives in the banks pockets.

I'd still like to know how much NRM are getting from the ??145.00. It can't be that secret or sensitive. Come on NRM spill the beans.

I did ask the NRM but the chap I spoke to was not aware of the actual amount.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Obviously my views on price are not shared by everybody which is fine. But if Hornby and Bachmann bring in all their 2010 ranges at that sort of price I'm afraid I will be one of those priced out of that part of the ready to run market. I will not be alone either. Reading many of the comments on here I am surprised that in these recessionary times there is so much spare cash to spend on previously unexpected models at this sort of price. Good old Barclaycard eh? It has been predicted that 20 high street "names" may close in the new year. How many model shops will follow suit I wonder due to this type of production. Anyway enough of that doom and gloom.

RichardS

The simple answer is Richard that there is still 'plenty of money about' to use the hardworn old phrase. The difficulty is that some people, quite a big chunk of society alas, are not in that fortunate situation but many are although in quite a few cases what is going on hobby spend on model railways is a reduction from their previous activities of weekends away or far more expensive hobbies. All being well I shall be at an auction next week where I shall be very surprised to see much less than ??100,000 change hands - and that is exclusively on model railways and railway ephemera although I am a little concerned about quite how high the bidding will go on the various GWR broad gauge working timetables. Oh, and a lot of r-t-r stuff will no doubt - if following the usual pattern - go for higher prices than you would pay for the same thing in a retail premises; very weird but it happens.

At the other end of the telescope we are now truly caught by the flip side of having our model railways manufactured in the Far East with, as already pointed out, costs rising and the value of our currency declining. In fact just looking at the latter if 'City of Truro' had been put on the shelves about 18 months ago, and everything else was equal except for the currency value, it would be retailing at about ??110 for the ordinary boxed version, the other 35 quid is down to our nation's economic decline in the intervening period and nothing at all to do with the NRM or Bachmann.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Not always, its called saving. With a bit of planning and self control its quite easy to plan for these things.

Well yes, you are absolutely right - the only trouble being that I didn't plan for this to appear at about the same time as the Bachmann BR Std 3 tank or, as now looks to be the case, just ahead of the Hornby 'Castle' and the Heljan D95XX :unsure:

So it's just as well that the Dapol D63XX seems to have suffered a delay somewhere along the line and that D601 is getting even further away. However I can guarantee that at least the appearance of all these Western locos will stop me occasionally buying variants of the Hornby A3 'on sentimental grounds', and the while I like the rest of it that 'twin snout' on the Class 70 definitely puts me off having one of those despite that fact that I'm otherwise rather taken by it - how's that for self control?

• RMweb Gold

Well yes, you are absolutely right - the only trouble being that I didn't plan for this to appear at about the same time as the Bachmann BR Std 3 tank or, as now looks to be the case, just ahead of the Hornby 'Castle' and the Heljan D95XX :unsure:

So it's just as well that the Dapol D63XX seems to have suffered a delay somewhere along the line and that D601 is getting even further away. However I can guarantee that at least the appearance of all these Western locos will stop me occasionally buying variants of the Hornby A3 'on sentimental grounds', and the while I like the rest of it that 'twin snout' on the Class 70 definitely puts me off having one of those despite that fact that I'm otherwise rather taken by it - how's that for self control?

Yes they're like buses at the moment. ;)

But if Hornby and Bachmann bring in all their 2010 ranges at that sort of price I'm afraid I will be one of those priced out of that part of the ready to run market. I will not be alone either.

As Garry says, this sort of talk comes up every so often but it's flawed at best and sensationalist at worst. You dont have to buy everything the minute it comes out and you dont have to buy new - this year, I've picked up no less than three HJ 27s for less than ??50 each (two new, Hattons reductions, and one s/h but like new), and a Bachy 20 (again s/h but immaculate) for ??25

I must say I find that a bit of a silly thing to be saying on a forum where the NRM dont have a presence. Why dont you just contact them yourself and ask?

• Like 4

Thanks Chris - what a superb model, you lucky chap! (quote)

Not really lucky - I'll be buying mine in due course. The model I've got is a review sample belonging to Model Rail and there are several people in the office who would also like it. We may end up drawing straws for it, or it may remain an office model for long term tests etc.

Perhaps we'll get George to paint it in BR lined black - we did that once before, of course!

At the moment, my bank balance won't stretch to it. I spent too much at Warley, including buying a Bachmann 3MT so that we'd have one to review in the next issue. Wish I'd bought a 4CEP at the same time, as I'm not sure the review sample will arrive in time.

CHRIS LEIGH

• Like 1

I'm still here! I don't know the take we get from it (it's a Trading activity, not Museum), I'll endeavour to find out. It looks to be a beautiful model though and I will try somehow to save up for one. When you set it against a Heljan 15, and also look at the work to make it an outside framer, I think it's not too bad (and please don't shoot me down saying "he would say that")

Cheers

Anthony Coulls

Senior Curator, Rail Vehicle Collections, NRM

(but please don't bone me about work, I'm an enthusiast in my own time on here!)

• Like 2

Well, I'm going to wait for the "as preserved" version, It's a good thing they arent going to just do xxx number and that's yer lot. That way, I can justify running it beside the Tornado and Blue Peter I want to get (Ouchies!) Oh and there IS a case for buying quickly when it is a model with a lot of variations or a large class. Evening Star springs to mind, if you didn't get it first time round, you are still waiting...

Oh and Chris, did you do any sort of running tests yet? Smoothness, hauling ability etc? I assume it dosen't have traction tyres. What is the weight like?

We do seem to be getting an absolute glut of locos and stock coming out from the manufacturers. It used to be we were lucky if MAYBE a new loco was announced but more often than not we had to make do with a relivery or two. Now the companies seem to be trying to outdo each other with churning out as much as they can with as much variety as possible!

It is very hard for the wallet to keep up with this overload of newness.

Guest Max Stafford

Maybe they'll bring out a budget version without lining or handrails. It could be equipped with pizza cutter wheels and a two-pole ringfield motor in t' tender.

Hey it's cheap, that's the most important thing...!;)

Dave.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Having another detailed pregrouping model on the market is great news. The fact that it is GWR is even better wink.gif .

Personally I wouldn't worry too much about the buffer beam numbers, although they were only introduced in general in 1907 after the red livery was abandoned (Slinn's GW Way does in fact mention that a few locos carried buffer beam numerals already from 1900, although he doesn't state which ones). A bit of paint should fix it soon enough though.

Maybe they'll bring out a budget version without lining or handrails. It could be equipped with pizza cutter wheels and a two-pole ringfield motor in t' tender.

Hey it's cheap, that's the most important thing...!;)

Dave.

I have one of them (tender drive 3440) and it's up for sale, if you're interested?

Not really lucky - I'll be buying mine in due course. The model I've got is a review sample belonging to Model Rail and there are several people in the office who would also like it. We may end up drawing straws for it, or it may remain an office model for long term tests etc.

Perhaps we'll get George to paint it in BR lined black - we did that once before, of course!

At the moment, my bank balance won't stretch to it. I spent too much at Warley, including buying a Bachmann 3MT so that we'd have one to review in the next issue. Wish I'd bought a 4CEP at the same time, as I'm not sure the review sample will arrive in time.

CHRIS LEIGH

Perhaps you could do that and then auction it off as a "one off" to raise money towards the engine's next overhaul? :) In a similar vein to the J21 of course. I'm certain it would reach a high bid.

I have to keep looking back at that picture to make sure I'm not dreaming! It really is a thing of beauty that model, captures the real thing perfectly in every way. I don't think mine will ever be relegated to the cabinet in all honesty - may have to make room in the shed for it...

• RMweb Premium

Liked the photos of CoT with all its lining out, would love to see it produced in plain green as 3717, as worn by the loco in its final years, it's a shame to spend ??145 and then overpaint it all! Roll on the next NRM special commission, I would pay a premium for a J17 or EM1, if they're not already planned as a standard catalogue release.