Bachmann City of Truro

Implacable

• RMweb Gold

Thanks gwrrob..... Mmmm, so that means 300 sheets when her indoors adds an equally innexpensive coat.sad.gif

Well you could always argue that a City of Truro is a basic household necessity, whereas who needs a coat in winter? biggrin.gif

Me I'm a bit stretched for funds, but am debating with myself whether the kids really do need christmas presents this year wink.gif.

Now that Kader own Sanda Kan I wish Bachmann would use the improved printing and get the boiler banding up to Hornby's level. The Hall I have is really bad and they haven't improved it much for this release. Its the only thing that lets down a beautiful model and means it falls slightly short of the Hornby standard. The Deltic seemed to have a lot of work put into the livery so its a shame to sell this slightly short there.

I'll look at the reports on the performance before I get a standard one.

Re arrange this well known phrase or saying;"boat,missed the."

This competition is not open to any employee or relative of any employee of Hornby or any associated Company. rolleyes.gif

That brought a smile to my face on an otherwise damp Sunday.

All Hornby has to do is tool up and produce big brothers little brother, the Dukedog, another hot seller. Then they can put a taper boiler on it and they have another variant, and later on curved frames. I havent even touched on Tender variants. Should be good for a few years inventive production.

And seeing as they ran into Manchester in the 1930's, I might even get one up to Diggle...biggrin.gif

Au contraire; he's probably about to pitch a Railroad version. No advertising required if they can move quickly...

Yes. Interest peaked by the Bachmann model, I could well see a budget CoT working. Similarly, having looked at the Emily kitbash thread, I could see a "Victorian Single" in Bachmann's Junior range (and I've yet to see a Bachmann Rusty in detail).

Looking at the Bachmann RRP of some of their Spectrum HO models (??190ish for an established 4-4-0 model, over ??200 for a 4-6-0 - maybe ??25 cheaper RRP in the US), this limited release looks about the price I'd expect.

• Like 1

Guest jim s-w

Excellent news ! How did this news be kept a secret in the hobby I'm amazed.I wonder if etched cabsides and plates are included in the price ? Will anyone dare to weather it I wonder.It looks a fantastic model and will rival the Evening Star as my favourite Bachmann loco.

As secrets go it wasn't that well kept. Several people mentioned CoT as the next NRM model a good year or more ago.

Cheers

Jim

Yes. Interest peaked by the Bachmann model, I could well see a budget CoT working. Similarly, having looked at the Emily kitbash thread, I could see a "Victorian Single" in Bachmann's Junior range (and I've yet to see a Bachmann Rusty in detail).

:D :D :D

The blog works! :)

Unfortunately I've already been in contact with Bachmann over that - they are categorically not allowed to use any tooling which has been previously used for their Thomas & Friends range (an absolute pity as the single would have been a seller), which is why the "Stuart", "Greg", "2005" and "GWR" Junior items are such a rarity - they were deleted after only a year being sold.

Given they also produce "Salty" - which AFAIK is based on a British Rail Class 07 dock shunter. Ripe for detailing too, if the cab wasn't fully enclosed:

58804a.jpg

This image is the copyright of BachmannTrains USA and is reproduced for educational and comparative reasons only.

There's that and Mavis of course:

58801.jpg

This image is the copyright of BachmannTrains USA and is reproduced for educational and comparative reasons only.

As with Emily (which I am doing my best to turn into GNR no.1 at present), these are examples of models which will never be released over here but which are ripe for detailing, I feel.

Back on topic somewhat - if it comes down to it Jim, I think everyone said after Deltic that there'd be a steam outline model on the way. It was the difference between joking that it was CoT and meaning it however - and I for one did say CoT, but meant it in jest as I was so sure it was going to be the GNR no.1...!

Unfortunately I've already been in contact with Bachmann over that - they are categorically not allowed to use any tooling which has been previously used for their Thomas & Friends range (an absolute pity as the single would have been a seller), which is why the "Stuart", "Greg", "2005" and "GWR" Junior items are such a rarity - they were deleted after only a year being sold.

I wondered how I got a hold of one and there was no mention of it on the website.

It seems odd if it is marketed as a different model ("Thomas" - "2005") that it can't be released. The Bachmann Thomas range, while basic in detail, is perfect for detailing. Especially "Percy" and "Thomas". We don't have a LNER Tram Loco, W&U coach or Class 07 in RTR. Bahcmann have kind of shot themselves in the foot here.

• RMweb Gold

As secrets go it wasn't that well kept. Several people mentioned CoT as the next NRM model a good year or more ago.

Cheers

Jim

I think so Jim.There was no official announcemment on them doing it.So whats next ? Lode Star ;)

Well you could always argue that a City of Truro is a basic household necessity, whereas who needs a coat in winter? biggrin.gif

Me I'm a bit stretched for funds, but am debating with myself whether the kids really do need christmas presents this year wink.gif.

As a kid i'd have rather had a go with a Bachmann City of Truro than had presents at christmas :P

• Like 1

I think so Jim.There was no official announcemment on them doing it.So whats next ? Lode Star ;)

OK, so they've done a Diesel, and a Steam loco.... Something with a pantograph, anyone...?

The 76 keeps being mentioned, but I have a pre-started Judith Edge ES1 in the cupboard. And I was right about City of Truro...

It seems odd if it is marketed as a different model ("Thomas" - "2005") that it can't be released. The Bachmann Thomas range, while basic in detail, is perfect for detailing. .. Bahcmann have kind of shot themselves in the foot here.

Why is it Bachmann's error? As I understand it, it's a stipulation of the licensing agreement with Britt Alcroft (or whoever)

Why is it Bachmann's error? As I understand it, it's a stipulation of the licensing agreement with Britt Alcroft (or whoever)

I don't think it was an intentional mistake. But thats 3 potential models that would require brand new tooling. But the Thomas range is seriously short in detail so probably needbrand new tooling anyway.

• RMweb Premium

Beautiful model of a beautiful loco, I loved the prototype and saw it at Didcot in my youth. Sad fact of life these days is that with the price of everything going up one has to prioritise and the price NRM are charging is far too much for my pocket. CoT is one of my all time favourites but it will remain just a dream. I think the price is way too high for a Ltd edition or any other edition. ??120-130 I may have stretched to but I believe this is aimed at the few who have the disposable income to justify this price. Only 250 being made I am sure they could have sold 4 times that if the price had been reasonable.

I am sure I am not alone in believing this is a missed opportunity, shame.

Beautiful model of a beautiful loco, I loved the prototype and saw it at Didcot in my youth. Sad fact of life these days is that with the price of everything going up one has to prioritise and the price NRM are charging is far too much for my pocket. CoT is one of my all time favourites but it will remain just a dream. I think the price is way too high for a Ltd edition or any other edition. ??120-130 I may have stretched to but I believe this is aimed at the few who have the disposable income to justify this price. Only 250 being made I am sure they could have sold 4 times that if the price had been reasonable.

I am sure I am not alone in believing this is a missed opportunity, shame.

Actually 250 at ??195 is being made. Like Deltic, there is no limit on production of the standard model (??145 I think).

The model comes with a replacement front bogie for detail, and a few other extras as well as being supremely detailed. ??145 isn't too far out of the range of the latest Hornby Clans RRP, after all, though these have sold for less than their RRP if you shop around.

Actually 250 at ??195 is being made. Like Deltic, there is no limit on production of the standard model (??145 I think).

The model comes with a replacement front bogie for detail, and a few other extras as well as being supremely detailed. ??145 isn't too far out of the range of the latest Hornby Clans RRP, after all, though these have sold for less than their RRP if you shop around.

Like the Hornby Teak Gresleys, you have to pay alot for the complexities of the paint finish on top of the new tooling, so the price is justifiable. And prior to this model, if someone really wanted a City they's probably have to pay alot more for the basic Airfix kit to be reworked to this standard. I seem to recall there was a a kitbuilt (Airfix or Nu-Cast) one on here for a comparable price. It's was always going to be an expensive loco.

Maybe in later years they might do a small run of a different City with simple lining and black frames, for less than ??100....?

• RMweb Premium

I am sure with the cost of tooling and the relatively few that will be sold through the NRM raises the question; will Bachmann produce other locos of the class for distribution through shops etc? Given the cost of the tooling I doubt that Bachmann would miss a marketing opportunity like this. So it may be worth waiting to see if they go en mass, just a matter of re number/name and a few tweaks then and probably much cheaper from someone like Hattons (I'm starting to dream/ramble now).I am a GWR person but when it comes down to one CoT or 2 SR Beattie Well Tanks from Kernow MRC...........no contest BWTevery time

I am sure with the cost of tooling and the relatively few that will be sold through the NRM raises the question; will Bachmann produce other locos of the class for distribution through shops etc? Given the cost of the tooling I doubt that Bachmann would miss a marketing opportunity like this.

I think the NRM will own the tooling at least on this like the Deltic, no idea what the rights are like on the drawings though as Bachmann probably could use some of that for something else.

The price won't drop as with other models. The NRM have a monopoly on the model if, as suggested they own the tooling. Therefore there is no competition so they can charge whatever they want for as long as people are buying them. Captve market and all that.