Bachmann City of Truro

Implacable

• RMweb Gold

true, but one would think that connecting them with gears would give a more precise mechanism than relying on the rods. Given the amount of slop between the rod and the crank pin the wheels will surely be rotating at a slightly different timing?

Was just wondering if perhaps that might have been part of the reason for solid chassis 440s not running well in P4...

I think the problem with that, Rich, is that you would still need to have fairly precise tolerances in the coupling rod bearings, otherwise they could slop about too much. Mind you, I've seen the all-axle drive thing done to excellent effect on some German P87 kettles.....

Someone at the Railway club pointed out on its first time out of the boxthat the right hand side buffer has a prenounced droop casued by it not being located properly :mad: . Looks like It'll have to go back, I just can't live with it now i've noticed it.

:(

Will

I'm only asking this for a friend for as I'm sure you all know I'm moving up to 7mm N/G eventually!!!! anyway on the NRM site it say's the livery period is"Preserved" would this have beenthe livery when running from new also is there a cut off date for ordering just so I can tell my friend

• RMweb Gold
Thanks Tim. While you're here, what are those two shiny gold things on top of the big roundy bit?

As they're on top they must be near the crown sheet, so perhaps they're the Crown Jewels...?

I'm only asking this for a friend for as I'm sure you all know I'm moving up to 7mm N/G eventually!!!! anyway on the NRM site it say's the livery period is"Preserved" would this have beenthe livery when running from new also is there a cut off date for ordering just so I can tell my friend

Not quite. The livery appears to be as run in preservation in the 1960s/70s(?). While it is quite similar to the original GWR livery the loco has top-feed which was introduced after that livery was abandoned. I believe the first livery with top-feed would have had black frames, and would not have had the style of tender livery on the model.

Adrian

The orange lining looks "thick" on photos taken in the 1960's so I am presuming it was double orange lining either side of the black even then. The 'red oxide' frames were incorrect colour and were too light. This mistake was rectified in the 1980's I think when a purplish brown was applied.

The green on CoT I'm not sure about. The 1965 HMRS GWR Livery booklet included glossy colour patches for 1875 green, 1881 green, 1906 green and 1928 green, the greens getting steadily lighter. The 1928 green is what most people would recognise as GWR and BR loco green, and 'City of Truro' appears to carry this green today. It might be a darker green but there was nothing to compare it with on the day.

I always used a darker green for pre-1928 liveries as per the GWR livery booklet. The matt colour patches in the later HMRS 'Great Western Way' book are not definitive enough to match paint to.

This was truro in 2009...

post-6680-12609934465871_thumb.jpg

I understand the current indian red colour was matched on the 1985 restoration by scraping the paint back to the first layer found on the frames.

The double lining I think has the effect of lighting the green colour, although I think the green still does look too light, as built it is very unlikely CoT had double lining in fact the lining would be orange/black/orange rather than the later orange/green/black/green/orange.

In the 1957 restoration the sandboxes were red as was the spacing plate below the name plate and splasher, as built there were no sandboxes above the footplate, although I think they look better red, and I am sure the spacing plate should match the frames.

David

The double lining I think has the effect of lighting the green colour, although I think the green still does look too light, as built it is very unlikely CoT had double lining in fact the lining would be orange/black/orange rather than the later orange/green/black/green/orange.

In the 1957 restoration the sandboxes were red as was the spacing plate below the name plate and splasher, as built there were no sandboxes above the footplate, although I think they look better red, and I am sure the spacing plate should match the frames.

David

Here's Philip Hawkins interpretation of how she was originally:

http://www.railart.co.uk/gallery/images/hawkins7.jpg

Bit too small to see all the details, but I expect some members already have a print hanging on the wall........

Phil knows his stuff when it comes to railways and painting. His rendition of the dark green with its "oily-rag" bronze look and the dark red frames is a close as it gets going off contemporary accounts. Also note how the orange lining is barely visible at this distance.

The model represents 'Truro' as it is NOW, including the livery - according to our sources at the NRM and the Glos/Warks. However, the hideous modern electrification flashes have been left off and a bogus buffer beam number put on. I understand that some of the gubbins in the right hand side of the cab relates to TPWS.

CHRIS LEIGH

I doubt I'm the first, but my initial "improvement" before any real weathering is added ....

Coupling rods brush painted Oily Steel, and I've matt varnished all the stainless wire grab handles to reduce the overly shiny effect.

IMG_2232.jpg

Well at least I think it improves the look .......... and that's all that matters to me !!

Dad-1

Dibbers said :

The model represents 'Truro' as it is NOW, including the livery - according to our sources at the NRM and the Glos/Warks.
The model is not double lined in orange on side sheets and boiler bands so it is representative of 'City of Truro' as it is now. A darn good representation at that especially at the price. Double lining in 4mm scale.......I wonder if it has ever been done? Well yes, I did it many moons ago and I nearly lost the will to live...biggrin.gif

Interesting thing about City of Truro is the brass beading when built followed the arc of the splashers and also the straight part were it joined the footplate, the brass beading was completely removed I think around 1914, although when returned to service in 1957 the brass beading was restored but only to the curved part, and remains like that today.

Athough detail is the whistles as built the smaller one was on the right, this later changed to the left which I think it retained though the first restoration in 1957, although currently they have seemed to have been swapped around again.

David

• RMweb Gold

Mine arrived today and just had a look....and what do I find...the smokebox door is swinging about held on by only the bottom hinge. Have got out the magnifying glass and spotlight and it seems as though the upper hinge fitting is broken. I thought I would be able to clip something in place but there does not seem to be anything to clip it into. Will this be the first model to be returned to the NRM?

Anybody else had a similar problem....or am I just unlucky? E:mail sent to NRM....waiting to hear what they say.

Keith

Just an update....the NRM requested that the loco be returned to their returns warehouse in Warwick (using the 2nd Class Pre-Paid postage label)and then reorder a new loco once the refund was approved. They could not do a direct swap for the defective loco.

Posted the loco back to the NRM on Wednesday 16/12/2009 at 14.56 and received a refund notification from NRM at today Friday 18/12/2009 at 16.36, the returned loco having been received at 16.15. Phoned the NRM at 16.48 and ordered a replacement loco. The NRM order/refund numbers are as follows:

Original Order Number: R-00000091

Refund Number: RR-00000003

Replacement Order Number: R-00000849

So, if the above numbers are a numerical record of sales then presume they've had 3 returns for 848 models sold so far.

What impresses me, though, is that Royal Mail delivered the return package in 2 days and the NRM processed the refund in 21 minutes. :)

Keith

• RMweb Gold

Just an update....the NRM requested that the loco be returned to their returns warehouse in Warwick (using the 2nd Class Pre-Paid postage label)and then reorder a new loco once the refund was approved. They could not do a direct swap for the defective loco.

Posted the loco back to the NRM on Wednesday 16/12/2009 at 14.56 and received a refund notification from NRM at today Friday 18/12/2009 at 16.36, the returned loco having been received at 16.15. Phoned the NRM at 16.48 and ordered a replacement loco. The NRM order/refund numbers are as follows:

Original Order Number: R-00000091

Refund Number: RR-00000003

Replacement Order Number: R-00000849

So, if the above numbers are a numerical record of sales then presume they've had 3 returns for 848 models sold so far.

What impresses me, though, is that Royal Mail delivered the return package in 2 days and the NRM processed the refund in 21 minutes. :)

Keith

Thats an excellent service all round Keith.You might get your new one Tuesday.

Guest jim s-w

As they're on top they must be near the crown sheet, so perhaps they're the Crown Jewels...?

Are you sure they are not some aftermarket Barryboys mod? "Dats how dey roll blood" :rolleyes:

Cheers

Jim

• RMweb Premium

Now that Bachmann have made No 3440 City of Truro for the NRM, will they be using the mouldings for another City model?

Idle speculation of course, shall I splash out for COT or wait for the 2010 announcements?

BTW - Don't let anyone know, but the "much beloved" let slip they have recently been on a train journey - me thinks to the Engine Shed at Ford..... Look out Santa eh! DCC system? - Bachmann or Guagemaster?

More idle speculations before Christmas!

NRM say this model is 'exclusive' to them. There will be an agreement between the NRM and Bachmann as to what is encompassed by that term, but the basic meaning is that NRM own and control use of the tooling. There is probably some provision guaranteeing production slot availability. I should imagine the agreement also precludes Bachmann from making their own tooling for the same class, for at least some period of time.

A difference between this model, and the earlier DP1 'exclusive', is that CoT has not been announced (as far as I can see) as a limited volume model; which strikes me as a good move on a number of fronts. For a start the NRM can continue to issue this model (in current and potentially other liveries) in whatever numbers are required to fulfill demand, both as CoT, and as other class members if there appears to be demand for that. With an unlimited volume of CoT potentially available, provided supplies are maintained, second hand prices should be contained at or below the new price; this means the NRM should get all the resulting sales revenue from all but those addicted to the auction experience to the extent of paying more for s/h than new. It will be interesting to see how the NRM chooses to proceed...

I'd guess at NRM having control over the tooling etc for a specified period of time, then I assume Bachmann would be given a certain degree of licence to produce similar models (but not CoT of course!)

Just a guess.

It'd make sense for a royality from each model to be paid to the NRM, just as long as Bachmann could be persuaded they'd be viable. There is also the issue of the cost, although others think it's pricey I think ??150 is quite a bargain for something with such a complicated finish, but could the market stand a three-figure sum for what would essentially be a small tender loco with black frames and simple lining...?

• RMweb Premium

NRM say this model is 'exclusive' to them. There will be an agreement between the NRM and Bachmann as to what is encompassed by that term, but the basic meaning is that NRM own and control use of the tooling. There is probably some provision guaranteeing production slot availability. I should imagine the agreement also precludes Bachmann from making their own tooling for the same class, for at least some period of time.

. It will be interesting to see how the NRM chooses to proceed...

Interesting comment.

Personally I think ??150 is too expensive for a loco that does not have DCC fitted as standard.