Building a 'Princess Royal' pacific in 4mm

I didn't know about the existence of the "Princess" etches. How much does Mike charge for this etch set?

Might he consider doing one for the "Duchess" as well?

...... the ability to finally be able to model the doyen of the class, 46200 The Princess Royal.....

Don't forget that the valve gear / motion brackets / slidebars (which resembled that of the GW "King" class) for 46200 and 46201 were different to the rest of the class! The motion brackets in particular interrupt the line of the footplate......

Edited by Horsetan

I didn't know about the existence of the Princess etches. How much does Mike charge for this etch set?

They're £45, unless the price has gone up since March! There are half etched hornguide lines on the rear of the frames by the way, which lend themselves open to a CSB chassis, should that be how you like to float your boat :)

Right, e-mail sent to Mike Edge already.......

They're £45, unless the price has gone up since March! There are half etched hornguide lines on the rear of the frames by the way, which lend themselves open to a CSB chassis, should that be how you like to float your boat :)

This can go together with some leftover ProScale "Princess" parts that I have......which includes a boiler and a firebox!

Edited by Horsetan
  • Like 2

Don't forget that the valve gear / motion brackets / slidebars (which resembled that of the GW "King" class) for 46200 and 46201 were different to the rest of the class! The motion brackets in particular interrupt the line of the footplate......

Both types of valve gear and slidebars are on the fret, which is what made me do that. The early motion bracket comes as two identical pieces that require a sweating together. The original style slidebars are a quadruple laminate etch to scale thickness. As I said, it wasn't a difficult decision to do the first one! :drag:

This can go together with some leftover ProScale "Princess" parts that I have......which includes a boiler and a firebox!

That'll be interesting to see for sure! :)

• Like 1

I was a bit cheeky, and asked whether a similar type etch might be done for the "Duchess", as Martin Finney refuses to do a 4mm kit!

Both types of valve gear and slidebars are on the fret, which is what made me do that. The early motion bracket comes as two identical pieces that require a sweating together. The original style slidebars are a quadruple laminate etch to scale thickness. As I said, it wasn't a difficult decision to do the first one! :drag:

No manufacturer (not even Comet) has properly rendered the motion of the first two, until now!

I think a Brassmasters tender would, if appropriate, be equally acceptable as the Comet one!

Edited by Horsetan

I was a bit cheeky, and asked whether a similar type etch might be done for the "Duchess", as Martin Finney refuses to do a 4mm kit!

I'd love to see something like that myself, but I'll content myself with dolling up the Hornby body for now. I've got them already and it'd be rude not to. But I digress...

No manufacturer (not even Comet) has properly rendered the motion of the first two, until now!

What I like about Mike's etch (see pic below) is that it's just spot on in that regard. I'll wait and see whether Mike might post up a few pics of the first locos built from this etch (I believe it's three Mike?) when he gets a moment to do so. They look superb!

post-6712-0-83556700-1340903291_thumb.jpg

I think a Brassmasters tender would, if appropriate, be equally acceptable as the Comet one!

It would, but only if they had one in their range, which they sadly don't :(. The Comet one will more than do though.

• Like 3

He kept it very quiet, though! Not even a suggestion on his trade stand at RailEx..... :stinker:

There's a reason for that! I believe it was originally commissioned by someone else to do the entire class 4 years ago. If I play my cards right, I could have either the 4th or 7th production one to be completed from it. I dare say it could go the way the N5 went. as it too started life as a commission one (thankyou Tony Gee :)). It's in the main range now.

I'd like to try building 46201.

(& maybe also 46203 if I haven't bankrupted myself!)

UPDATE: Mike has replied to say that it's not a "production" etch and will need alteration. So it looks like I'm not as lucky as you, Tim!

Edited by Horsetan

Excellent work there Tim!!! She's going to be a beauty!

As for the the finished articles Mike, they're absolutely stunning!!! I'd quite like one in P4, best started finishing some of my other projects before I even consider that though!!!

With regards to the tender Tim you could do a BM hybrid! The tender body is different but I think the chassis is the same, just a thought if you can get hold of a chassis etch!? Actually I've just started a BM Fowler tender kit with the intention of fitting a Dave Franks chassis to it, there may be a few pic's finding there way to my WB if I find some time and pull my finger out!! ;-)

Cheers for now

Paul

• Like 1

Guest Tom F

I'm looking forward to following this thread Tim. There is something most powerful and imposing about a Princess, and as you say, the Hornby model far from cuts the mustard.

Looking at Mikes etches and his finished models, this is going to be one heck of a princess, keep up the good work!

Edited by Tom F
  • Like 1

I'm looking forward to following this thread Tim. There is something most powerful and imposing about a Princess, and as you say, the Hornby model far from cuts the mustard.

Looking at Mikes etches and his finished models, this is going to be one heck of a princess, keep up the good work!

Rarely seen in 50A Tom, just as they were even rarer at Hessle Haven. But, as you say those photos above, of finished Princess's, just look the business. Thread to watch, this one, Horsetan!

Tom, wasn't there a rail tour from York to Scarborough and then to Hull, sometime in the summer of 1950 - little publicised and not photographed (wishful thinking)? Might have been a trial run for the Scarborough Spa Express, even if it was half a century later.

Cheers

Mike

Edited by mikemeg

As for the the finished articles Mike, they're absolutely stunning!!! I'd quite like one in P4, best started finishing some of my other projects before I even consider that though!!!

With regards to the tender Tim you could do a BM hybrid! The tender body is different but I think the chassis is the same, just a thought if you can get hold of a chassis etch!? Actually I've just started a BM Fowler tender kit with the intention of fitting a Dave Franks chassis to it, there may be a few pic's finding there way to my WB if I find some time and pull my finger out!! ;-)

Cheers for now

Paul

All those exclamation marks. Has someone been reading BRM?

Seriously though, Tim, this has the potential to be a fine model of a fine beast. As you demonstrated with the Stanier Mogul, it is amazing what the careful sourcing of parts can achieve.

Chris

• Like 1

Guest Tom F

Rarely seen in 50A Tom, just as they were even rarer at Hessle Haven. But, as you say those photos above, of finished Princess's, just look the business. Thread to watch, this one, Horsetan!

Tom, wasn't there a rail tour from York to Scarborough and then to Hull, sometime in the summer of 1950 - little publicised and not photographed (wishful thinking)? Might have been a trial run for the Scarborough Spa Express, even if it was half a century later.

Cheers

Mike

I wish Mike, I wish! :P

.....what does one get on this here etch.... Almost everything bar the boiler and firebox, plus a handful of other sundry items such as the chimney, dome, top feed, safety valves etc......

.....If there is sufficient demand we will put this etch into production but I do need to do some more modifications to it......these are not intended as kits but as an aid to scratchbuilding. ....

You know how they say you should never throw anything away? Well I didn't, and these leftover ProScale "Princess" bits have been waiting in a box for a 21st century solution:

post-6879-0-78556000-1340963815_thumb.jpg

Edited by Horsetan

>....(nobody produces a Princess wheel), ......

I understand Markits are working on one.

Geoff

And he's willing to sell it!...has there been a change of business plan at Markits?

Tim

Wonderful work, a beautiful engine in the making.

If it can be built in P4, count me in - and looking at the etches I can see no reason why not - excellent development!!

Mike

• Like 1

Tim

Wonderful work, a beautiful engine in the making.

If it can be built in P4, count me in - and looking at the etches I can see no reason why not - excellent development!!

Mike

Thankyou Mike! The only mods I can see being required for P4 would be to thin down the insides of where the cylinder ends and either of the two types of motion bracket slot into the mainframes. There are two choices of rear bissel truck and I've gone for the one that allows more movement, rather than the exact scale one that would give little to none (according to Mike anyway!). What isn't included is a bogie which, like the tender, is available from Comet.

Although I won't be doing mine with it, I do wonder what one of these with CSB would be like when done......

Cheers,

Cheers for now

Paul

Cheers Paul! Interesting what you say about the cross-kitting aspect here on the tender front. It's a very serious thought too.... I think the only reason I'm possibly going to stick to the complete tender from Geoff is down to personal cost and the fact I've successfully built one of his tender kits before on my first 46256 (there's a mk2 model coming soon). Having said that, I will be buying the remainder of a BM 4F to go with the body I bought last year so as to give me a "bling" 4F, so I shall have a further look.

I shall look forward to seeing some of that work on your tender, so I agree about the finger pulling! :stinker:

Cheers!

Tim - great work so far, I'm looking forward to seeing this develop.

Michael - absolutely beautiful models, thanks for sharing the pictures; seeing these makes one wonder why a decent model isn't available RTR (not that a mass-produced product could match the quality and finesse of your handbuilt Princesses).

Cheers,

Will

• Like 1