Building a 'Princess Royal' pacific in 4mm

• RMweb Premium

Our latest long delayed etch order has just arrived, Princess will be in the next one. This might arrive some time in May, at the moment we put in another order as soon as we get the last one but we are still struggling to keep up.

• 2 weeks later...
On 21/04/2021 at 22:12, MacDuff999 said:

I need a set of bogie wheels for a 'Duchess', and some other bits, but can't get hold of Markits on the telephone, after it ringing for an unusually long time. Anyone know why that might be? 

Try Gibson pony and bogie wheels they look nicer 

• Agree 1

I have only used Gibson wheels once so far Mark, but thanks for that suggestion. I hadn't really thought about their 'cosmetic' qualities. Looks as though its another call to Colin - I just received some turned handrail knobs and smokebox door handles from him today.  

• 2 months later...

Don't know if you have had any more 'Princess' etches in yet Mike. You did say they might be May/June. Also, where have the builders whose models have illustrated this thread obtained their safety valves from? The only place I have seen the type, are as part of the 'Royal Scot' kit that Comet produce. Any information on known sources gratefully received.

Quite right, those who suggested Markits for the right safety valves. I could not spot them in their catalogue, but they do make them, and a set are on their way to me as I type this note. I am a little surprised though, that they are not in the catalogue list. 

• 4 months later...

I am at last contemplating making a start on the 'Princess' etch Mike, and am inclined to use your screwed-in spacer approach to begin assembling the mainframes. Looking at your first photo, when you set out in this thread the way you assembled key sections of the loco, I can't see where you used the screw-in spacers on the frames. Or had you already removed them when you took the shot? OK, it was 2013!  It would be really quite helpful to know where you located them. Thanks.

Ian.    

• RMweb Premium

There are four 1.75mm diameter (10BA clearance size) holes in the frame plates, one where the outside cylinders fit, one at the cab end and two others in between where they won't show much after the wheels are fitted. I do remove them as I solder the spacers in.

• 3 weeks later...

Found the screw-in spacer holes Mike, and here is a photo. Earliest stages of course with the mainframes, having filed off the nibs left after removal from the etch, and now temporarily joined with two Markits screw-in spacers and a couple of Comet axle jigs. Two of the matching coupling rod laminations are set up behind the frames, on the rod pins of the Chassis Squared. I am going to try some of the spacers from a Comet N/S chassis kit for a J39 for size and shape in the relevant strategic positions. That is the next step, but this will be a slow and I hope measured process.  

Starting to move on from the stage depicted in the initial photo above, I am now working out exact spacer positions and orientation, using your example build Mike, started on p.9 of the thread. Right at the tail end of the rear frame extensions, which will support the loco cab, there is a linear parallel slit about 5mm or so long. I cannot see it in any of the photos of your earlier stages build, or see how any part or frame support would fit in there as the rear body-fixing spacer is there, with the drag beam almost immediately to the rear. In that case, does this slit really have a purpose?    

• RMweb Premium

The slit in the end of the main frames is for this plate.

644238519_ScreenShot2021-12-22at07_16_10.png.1d6c6757d1879a88717014088e9f2896.png

The hole is for the drawbar pivot, the two prongs locate it sideways - inside or outside the frames depending on whether you are building in EM or 00. This plate sets the spacing and angle of the outside frames under the cab, it will also carry the injector brackets later.