Laser cut coach seating

• RMweb Gold

I don't know how much of an innovation this is. I was going to write it up before the challenge was announced, thought about it as a challenge entry, but left it until a few recent threads discussing seating options.

I thought of this when I was starting work on rebuilding a K's B set, and wanted a bit of interior detail. Working from the coach sides, I guesstimated a profile and drew up a dxf for it. This is the result:

post-6902-0-30651700-1340970938_thumb.jpg.

I've been using mdf for the tests as it's cheap and easy to use. Acrylic will probably be better for the finished product.To keep weight down, lightening holes would be easy to include.

The idea is to laminate a number of thin layers to provide the required width. This helps get around the slight taper on the edges which seems inevitable with laser cutting. By cutting handed parts used alternately, steps in the surface can be avoided.

This image shows a trial stack of the laminations.

post-6902-0-50578800-1340972000_thumb.jpg

As this proved to be a bit under the required width easily achieved with the thickness of mdf to hand, I looked for some thinner material to pack out the assembly. I used card for the tests which hasn't cut well, but has allowed a profile representing arm and head rests in First Class. Again, before glueing.

post-6902-0-76990100-1340972716_thumb.jpg

That's it so far. I was thinking of non corridor compartment coaches when I had the idea, but doing something similar for corridor stock sould be possible. I'm not so sure about open stock, as things might get a little more flimsy, but I'm thinking about that.

One of the possibilities of this method is that the height of the seating can be designed for whatever floor height exists on the model.

Thanks

Dave

• 2 weeks later...

Archived