Maunsell Open second/third

Tim Hale

Hattons :

We thought you may like to know that an item you have on order with us, on order id *********, has had some information about its release date added or updated.

Hornby Model Railways R4538 BR Unconverted Maunsell ex SR Open Second. £32.00

Our latest information from the supplier suggests this item will arrive with us on or after Friday 7th September 2012

Whilst we are hopeful this information is accurate, manufacturer lead times are frequently prone to be delayed. This information is to be used as a guide only.

We hope that this email has been useful.

What a shame, I was looking forward to this model

Tim

• RMweb Premium

All credit to Hornby and Hattons for keeping us (customers) informed about the delay. It's not that much of a delay really, and in some ways is to be expected since the Pull-Push sets have only just appeared and the rest of the batch still to come next month.

Hattons :

We thought you may like to know that an item you have on order with us, on order id *********, has had some information about its release date added or updated.

Hornby Model Railways R4538 BR Unconverted Maunsell ex SR Open Second. £32.00

Our latest information from the supplier suggests this item will arrive with us on or after Friday 7th September 2012

Whilst we are hopeful this information is accurate, manufacturer lead times are frequently prone to be delayed. This information is to be used as a guide only.

What a shame, I was looking forward to this model

Tim

There's lots of items delayed, I had a whole raft of these emails. Hornby are having real problems with delivery.

• 3 months later...

September has come and gone, October is going fast and the Maunsell opens have not arrived nor had any indication they have been shipped from the far east. Hattons now shows them as "Due into stock between September 2012 & October 2012".

I am looking for the R4537 SR Unconverted Open Third.

Any further info on?

Hi,

Further to my original opening post to this thread,

Hattons have confirmed that they have 'no idea' when the R4538 will arrive however they are hopeful by the end of October.

Which will be OK as I haven't finished the Catering Set for my WoE set.

Tim

Ah, there IS a thread for the Open Third.

Model Railwsy Direct of Bristol have them down for 22 November, veyr precise so could just be a random date, or could be their next Hornby Delivery window

http://www.modelrailwaysdirect.co.uk/Hornby-R4538-BR-Unconverted-Open-Second-Coach/

Given the only difference between this model and the pull-push coaches was one end of the coach, I really don't see why they weren't manufactured at the same time as the Pull-Push sets. Still would rather they were right than Hornby landed us with another Class 67 howler

Guest Belgian

Ah, there IS a thread for the Open Third.

Model Railwsy Direct of Bristol have them down for 22 November, veyr precise so could just be a random date, or could be their next Hornby Delivery window

http://www.modelrail...n-Second-Coach/

Given the only difference between this model and the pull-push coaches was one end of the coach, I really don't see why they weren't manufactured at the same time as the Pull-Push sets. Still would rather they were right than Hornby landed us with another Class 67 howler

Perhaps the unexpected demand for the pull-push set leading to a re-run used the the slot originally allocated to the unconverted Open 3rd?

JE

The Hornby trade website has the expected arrival date for both R4537 and R4538 at Margate to be 12th November. So it would be expected in the shops a few days later.

This would suggest they are somewhere near the beginning of their few weeks passage on the high seas, and may be subject to some change depending on whether it is a slow boat from China.

• 4 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Still listed at Hattons. Recent successes probably mean certain models have been pushed back in Hornby's production schedule. In this case the pull-push set actually rushed off dealers' shelves, and a re-run is now no doubt taking the slot for the open. Mid-Summer seems a sensible time for news, if not delivery. 

• 3 weeks later...

I think Hattons  were  reporting  stock is imminent!

Due  on  or  after  25th March  ( but who knows  how long  after!)

That was from an eMail recvd today 5th March and refers to  both SR  &  BR liveries.

• 2 months later...

Well, I had naively been looking forward to running a two-coach Maunsell olive set (BCK and TO) by the end of May, several websites ha had mid-late may as the ETA for the Open Thirds. Indeed SK confirmed this date at Ally Pally

Just check Model Railway Direct as they offer very precise dates, and lo and behold it is now 19 SEPTEMBER. And basically we're talking a re-livery of an existing product. Assuming the tooling for the corridor end was made at the same time as the Push-Pull. BTW the BR Green version was DUE 2 May, but not here.

Why not just say 'we don't have a clue' rather than issuing dates, getting peoples hopes up and pulling the plug at the last stage, its this 'late stage pull' that most annoys me. Either the item's been manufactured or it hasn't! Its a binary situation that can't be that hard to determine in this day and age!

I'm not a fan of 'rushed jobs', so am quite happy to see items delayed rather than rushed to market. But this is not a case of not rushing, this is ridiculous. Yet another Hornby production planning mess up.

• RMweb Gold

Hatton's have both advertised as available on or after May 13th - ie last Monday. But how long after? That's the question ...

It's possible that Model Railways direct have pre-sold all their allocation due this month (assuming that's the date) and are now accepting pre-orders for the next batch due in September.

Well, I had naively been looking forward to running a two-coach Maunsell olive set (BCK and TO) by the end of May, several websites ha had mid-late may as the ETA for the Open Thirds. Indeed SK confirmed this date at Ally Pally

Just check Model Railway Direct as they offer very precise dates, and lo and behold it is now 19 SEPTEMBER. And basically we're talking a re-livery of an existing product. Assuming the tooling for the corridor end was made at the same time as the Push-Pull. BTW the BR Green version was DUE 2 May, but not here.

Why not just say 'we don't have a clue' rather than issuing dates, getting peoples hopes up and pulling the plug at the last stage, its this 'late stage pull' that most annoys me. Either the item's been manufactured or it hasn't! Its a binary situation that can't be that hard to determine in this day and age!

I'm not a fan of 'rushed jobs', so am quite happy to see items delayed rather than rushed to market. But this is not a case of not rushing, this is ridiculous. Yet another Hornby production planning mess up.

You might also want to refer to the 'Items deferred from 2012 to 2013 ....' Thread - Post 177.

Although this only adds to the question rather than answering it.

• RMweb Gold

HI 

Have now seen a date for June for this coach.

Darren01

I think that was the original intention but judging by what I have learned by asking about pre-orders from my local model shop and the info posted by Hattons, it looks like expected deliveries of all the items I want are now up to 2 quarters behind.

Without wishing to sound cynical, I cannot claim to be surprised and expect most of it to arrive about Dec.18!

John

for what its worth:

Hello

We thought you may like to know that an item you have on order with us, on order id xxx, has had some information about its release date added or updated.

Hornby R4538 Maunsell unconverted open third class coach in BR green £32.00

Our latest information from the supplier suggests this item will arrive with us on or after Monday 3rd June 2013

Regards

Retail Team
Hattons Model Railways
www.ehattons.com

and

Hello

We thought you may like to know that an item you have on order with us, on order id yyy, has had some information about its release date added or updated.

Hornby R4537 Maunsell unconverted open third class coach in Southern Maunsell green £32.00

Our latest information from the supplier suggests this item will arrive with us on or after Monday 9th September 2013

Regards

Retail Team
Hattons Model Railways
www.ehattons.com

The disclaimer is probably the most accurate part of the notice.

It would be nice to have an explanation of what is going on here with this specific model.Also have the re-tooled and it is now a "cleaver design" model.  Oops meant "clever design".

• RMweb Premium

for what its worth:

Hello

We thought you may like to know that an item you have on order with us, on order id xxx, has had some information about its release date added or updated.

Hornby R4538 Maunsell unconverted open third class coach in BR green £32.00

Our latest information from the supplier suggests this item will arrive with us on or after Monday 3rd June 2013

Regards

Retail Team

Hattons Model Railways

www.ehattons.com

and

Hello

We thought you may like to know that an item you have on order with us, on order id yyy, has had some information about its release date added or updated.

Hornby R4537 Maunsell unconverted open third class coach in Southern Maunsell green £32.00

Our latest information from the supplier suggests this item will arrive with us on or after Monday 9th September 2013

Regards

Retail Team

Hattons Model Railways

www.ehattons.com

The disclaimer is probably the most accurate part of the notice.

It would be nice to have an explanation of what is going on here with this specific model.Also have the re-tooled and it is now a "cleaver design" model.  Oops meant "clever design".

For a 3 June release of the BR green one they have to be on a boat already (assuming they will not be shipped by air), which would imply Hornby knows with its new suppliers what's in the containers on their way from China if they're giving these dates to retailers. If so, perhaps the SR version is being made separately, however illogical in terms of production run costs.

Overall I'm not surprised that delvery schedules are in constant flux at present if Hornby is bringing new suppliers on stream. Particularly for the higher spec more detailed models, the workforce may be on a steep learning curve in terms of build quality and so the simpler to manufacture and paint models are coming first whilst the more complex ones are further delayed until the new factories have shown they are up to the job. My only concern is that some may never get to that level...

• RMweb Gold

To clarify the situation and after discussion direct with Hornby and as posted on my blog yesterday I am able to confirm the current anticipated delivery dates to Hornby in Margate, and therefore retailers shortly afterwards as being:

R4538 Maunsell open third class coach in BR green due June 3rd 2013
R4537 Maunsell open third class coach in Southern Maunsell green due 9th September 2013

Further comment on my blog

• RMweb Gold

To clarify the situation and after discussion direct with Hornby and as posted on my blog yesterday I am able to confirm the current anticipated delivery dates to Hornby in Margate, and therefore retailers shortly afterwards as being:

R4538 Maunsell open third class coach in BR green due June 3rd 2013

R4537 Maunsell open third class coach in Southern Maunsell green due 9th September 2013

Further comment on my blog

If in doubt go to the horses mouth as it were ;) 

Nice work as always Graham

Archived