Last BR Green Loco in Service

edcayton

Morning ED - last machine in green in BR service was 40 106, subsequently preserved and residing at the Nene Valley Railway, although it does move around for galas now and then.

Not sure of the precise dates (and I'm sure Russell Saxton will be along soon to help out here) but previous to 40 106 getting a repaint, the last locos in green were Toton 20s and 47s, sometime in 1980 I think.

40106 was rather a special loco and got repainted in green (incorrectly on the roof) during the blue era. Did you mean the locos painted during the green era and lasted longest in this livery after green had been abandoned?

I would have thought the answer is still the same, 40106, since the only reason 40106 was special if I remember correctly was because it was the last loco in green, hence the decision to paint it green again, rather than repaint a blue loco green as was the case with the Liverpool street pilot 08. However having just read this site http://www.railblue.com/rail_blue_history_2.htm it seems that the last loco in green in normal service was 20141. So why was 40106 repainted green in 1978? I don't rmember that at that time 40's were especially a big deal.

Also all class 47's were blue before 1980, all were blue by late 1977.

• Agree 1

Where is Russ when you need him?

Given that he's kindly taken the time to place the definitive info elsewhere on the Web (link below), I dont think he's obliged to cruise around forums just in case somebody wants to ask him a question:

http://www.railblue.com/rail_blue_history_2.htm

Sometimes it's better to go to the source of the information, rather than expect it to come to you :)

• Like 2

40106's exterior was in a state by 1978, so I photographed it in black & white through an orange filter to highlight the muck and rust streaks and it was published in the railway press. BR livery had been coroporate blue for years and so repainting the loco green was by definition rather special. Blue undercoat was used so it might have been intended to paint it standard blue, or it might have been used in the absence of green undercoat, or the green gloss livery might have been a last minute decision. Will we ever know.....or care.

Edited by coachmann

Given that he's kindly taken the time to place the definitive info elsewhere on the Web (link below), I dont think he's obliged to cruise around forums just in case somebody wants to ask him a question:

http://www.railblue....e_history_2.htm

Sometimes it's better to go to the source of the information, rather than expect it to come to you :)

I suspect that the original post was maybe somewhat tongue in cheek (maybe an example of how dependant we have become on 'smileys' or the lack of them and other internet type symbols we need to ensure that comments are taken the way the are intended?).

However, I was working in Dundee in the late 70's and travelling each day by train and remember 40 106 arriving in Dundee Tay Bridge on a Southbound express one evening whilst I was waiting for my train. First thoughts were 'I'm dreaming', second was to take a photo or two.

However, at that time I was seduced by the 110 format, as the camera fitted into a pocket. Unfortunately the quality was equal to shooting through 'pocket fluff'...

http://www.railblue....e_history_2.htm

It was a joke.

Something that I am getting used to not being understood by the self righteous minority on these forums.

• Like 5
  • Agree 1

47367 was the last Class 47 in two tone green, whilst 47256 was the last get blue. It had been fire damaged and was painted in all over green by Cardiff prior to its overhaul at Crewe in 1978.

Regards

Simon

Thanks for all the replies guys. Was it my OP that you thought "tongue in cheek"? I sort of knew about 40106, but didn't know if it was repainted green or just stayed that way.

My guess would have been an 08 or 09, but several of those were sold into private use and may have retained the green under lots of grime.

I had no idea of the Russel Saxton site, and what a mine field this was, but thanks again.

Ed

• Like 1

Wasn't one of the VoR 2-6-2Ts repainted into BR green while it was still in BR ownership?

Thanks for the memories - I well recall seeing 40106 several times in the Birmingham area around 1987ish, including once to my surprise on a MGR train, bound (I presume) for Didcot at Tyseley one winter evening...

Very much in need of a repaint, 40106 passes Landudno Junction non-stop with an Up unidentified train on 26th August 1977.....

post-6680-0-18752200-1341308242.jpg

This is the picture I mentioned earlier as having been shot through an orange filter. I forget which mag published it.

Edited by coachmann
  • Like 5

It was also in Modern Railways I think in 78 . I thought 40106 was the last main line loco in BR Green because I remember the discussions on the back page of Modern Railways during 1978. This was in its original green. It was repainted later being the only "celebrity" green loco for many years. I wasn't aware of 20141 being in green livery at the time as we allthought 40106 was the last one. For many years in the late 70s /early 80s modern image layouts always had BR Blue diesels with 47s with Stratford Grey Roof and the obligatory green 40106 because it was something different!

Edited by Western Scottish

• 7 years later...
  • 6 months later...
On 30/06/2012 at 17:19, Pennine MC said:

http://www.railblue.com/rail_blue_history_2.htm

And yet it would have been better here as that domain is defunct