Ex NB Shotts East Branch (Monklands Railways in Lanarkshire, Scotland)

Rannoch Moor

• RMweb Gold

This is repeated/copied from the Scottish Railways section and is almost certainly a long shot but I was wondering if anyone had or knew of any photos taken (when open or soon after closure) of the freight only colliery lines that ran from Westcraigs Junction (on the Airdrie to Edinburgh line) through Shotts and Shotts East Goods station to Blackston Jn on the Wilsontown, Morningside and Colness Rly.

I ask because as a youngster my brother and I spent hours walking the old lines between all the disused collieries (Baton, Calderhead, Greystonelee, the Hirst, Springbank etc, many of whch my late Grandfather worked at) when visiting my Grandparents. At that time (early to mid 70's) there was much infrastructure to see and we had great times exploring. Since then, despite the lack of glamour, I've had regular searches (Google, Railscot etc) online and also trawled books and maps. There are passing refs to the lines (part of the Monklands Railways) and I have read the local book on the Monkland Railways - very interesting BTW.

The line to Shotts East closed in 1963 as the collieries were worked out (the other half from Shotts to Blackston Jn had closed in 1950). My mother can vaguely remember the lines as she lived in a cottage next to the extension from Baton Colliery to Fortissat colliery, and indeed walked along another line on her way to school at Dykehead in Shotts.

Anyway, would be very grateful if anyone had any phots (or recollections of the workings) on the lines.

Many thanks

Gus

This is repeated/copied from the Scottish Railways section and is almost certainly a long shot but I was wondering if anyone had or knew of any photos taken (when open or soon after closure) of the freight only colliery lines that ran from Westcraigs Junction (on the Airdrie to Edinburgh line) through Shotts and Shotts East Goods station to Blackston Jn on the Wilsontown, Morningside and Colness Rly.

I ask because as a youngster my brother and I spent hours walking the old lines between all the disused collieries (Baton, Calderhead, Greystonelee, the Hirst, Springbank etc, many of whch my late Grandfather worked at) when visiting my Grandparents. At that time (early to mid 70's) there was much infrastructure to see and we had great times exploring. Since then, despite the lack of glamour, I've had regular searches (Google, Railscot etc) online and also trawled books and maps. There are passing refs to the lines (part of the Monklands Railways) and I have read the local book on the Monkland Railways - very interesting BTW.

The line to Shotts East closed in 1963 as the collieries were worked out (the other half from Shotts to Blackston Jn had closed in 1950). My mother can vaguely remember the lines as she lived in a cottage next to the extension from Baton Colliery to Fortissat colliery, and indeed walked along another line on her way to school at Dykehead in Shotts.

Anyway, would be very grateful if anyone had any phots (or recollections of the workings) on the lines.

Many thanks

Gus

Hi, You could try someone in the East of Scotland Group, they show a model of Blackston Jct and may have some info.

Some of the guys are on this place so may reply to you.

Dave Franks

Dave,

Should have thought of that - particularly at Scaleforum last year! Doh! BTW, are you attending any exhibitiions with LMS in the near future?

Gus

Hi Gus, I'm afraid I don't do exhibitions anymore due to health reasons, can't carry a load of boxes very far!!!! Having said that though, Being a long term member of the EMGS I like to support the EXPOs so I'll be at EXPO North this September otherwise it's the Website for purchases....

All the best,

David.

• RMweb Gold

Cheers David,

Wont be able to make it but my upgrade to the DJH Jumbo looks like being in the offing so if you are still doing CR loco fittings will be in touch!

Gus

• 5 weeks later...

Here's a still of Baton Pit from the top of Calderhead Bing, from a Scottish Mining Review of 1949. My own grandad was also a Shotts miner, but as an 80s child much of the infrastructure had gone when I was growing up. I only wish I'd been a bit older and equipped with a camera...

post-16369-0-62792300-1343940683.png

Cheers David,

Wont be able to make it but my upgrade to the DJH Jumbo looks like being in the offing so if you are still doing CR loco fittings will be in touch!

Gus

Hi Gus, sorry but I didn't spot your post till now. I don't do loco fittings any more, all were passed onto 'Nairnshire Modelling Supplies' when I sold them the retail side of the business. You could also try 'Markits' for the Caley chimneys.

Hope that helps,

Dave Franks.

• 2 weeks later...

Dear all

The ex NBR line from Westcraigs ran to Shotts and then joined the Wilsontown Morningside & Coltness line at Blackhall Jct whilst Blackston Jct was on the ex Monkland Railway line from Airdrie to Bo'ness and was where the line split off for Bathgate (Lower)

There is a photo of Benhar Level Crossing S B in a recently published book "Scottish Steam 1948-1967"

I have (somewhere)some photos I took around Baton Bridge in the 1970s and also around Westcraigs Jct - long after the lines were lifted

Well worth a look on the web are the recently added large scale O S maps from the National Library of Scotland - various dates

Charles Davidson

Dear all

The ex NBR line from Westcraigs ran to Shotts and then joined the Wilsontown Morningside & Coltness line at Blackhall Jct whilst Blackston Jct was on the ex Monkland Railway line from Airdrie to Bo'ness and was where the line split off for Bathgate (Lower)

There is a photo of Benhar Level Crossing S B in a recently published book "Scottish Steam 1948-1967"

I have (somewhere)some photos I took around Baton Bridge in the 1970s and also around Westcraigs Jct - long after the lines were lifted

Well worth a look on the web are the recently added large scale O S maps from the National Library of Scotland - various dates

Charles Davidson

Well spotted Charles, it didn't click with me, probably because I'm a Midland man as you know. :protest:

Dave Franks

• RMweb Gold

WullyNully,

Absolutely brilliant picture - thank you so much for posting. Baton Bing was a favourite play area for me in the mid to late 70s and my grandparents lived in both Baton Cottage (before I was born)which is just at the other side of the colliery in the middle (Baton). They later moved along the line to Eildon Cottage (often called Squirrel Cottage locally) at Springbank on the Cant Hills Road.

Sorry about my error - I was aware it was Blackhall Jct not Blackston Jct - I think the fame of the latter layout may have lead to my typo. I did just discover the pic of the J35 at Benhar LC the other week - unfortunately I own almost all the other photos in the book in other books I own so it is a bit expensive but was interesting just the same, and thanks for spotting and taking time to mention it Charles.

Well, better get off to work - I'm too close to pension to be done for desertion!

Gus

• RMweb Gold

Now back from the office, I have had a look at the photo more closely - I think the train is being pulled (or maybe propelled looking at the smoke) by a J35. Although hard to tell, the wagons look empty so may be being shunted back into the sidings although the presence of the brake van perhaps makes this less likely. It's possible too that the train is stationary waiting for another train as it is just short of 2 junctions - 1 to Shotts East (just visible in the foreground) and the other to another colliery up on the moors (the Hirst? can't quite remember - edit - think it was Hassockrigg). The train may also be being set back west towards Greystonelee Colliery which was just beside the Cummins Diesel factory and was at the end of another branch (busy place!) that departed from Baton Colliery and originally ran to Hartwood Colliery near the namesake village but was truncated where it crossed the Cant Hill Road (just north of Deas Road).

Any comments (or more photos!!!) very gratefully received!

Now back from the office, I have had a look at the photo more closely - I think the train is being pulled (or maybe propelled looking at the smoke) by a J35. Although hard to tell, the wagons look empty so may be being shunted back into the sidings although the presence of the brake van perhaps makes this less likely. It's possible too that the train is stationary waiting for another train as it is just short of 2 junctions - 1 to Shotts East (just visible in the foreground) and the other to another colliery up on the moors (the Hirst? can't quite remember). The train may also be being set back west towards Greystonelee Colliery which was just beside the Cummins Diesel factory and was at the end of another branch (busy place!) that departed from Baton Colliery and originally ran to Hartwood Colliery near the namesake village but was truncated where it crossed the Cant Hill Road (just north of Deas Road).

Any comments (or more photos!!!) very gratefully received!

Hi Gus,

It's funny you mention Baton Cottage, as I've recently sent this same Baton Pit picture to a lady requesting pictures of the pit (where her dad was manager) - and she was born in the cottage. And from my mother I've learnt one of my great-uncles (McIwain was the name I think) lived in that house too. Sadly the house fell into ruin and was demolished around 1994, when Baton Bing itself was levelled.

I've checked the mining video again and the train seems to be puffing its way east towards Baton Bridge. (The brief section of video I lifted the picture from I've uploaded to YouTube if you're interested).

Charles d - I'd be very pleased to see any of the Baton Bridge photos you have. (If it's not too much trouble!)

I've got a VHS somewhere which has a brief snippet of a train heading down the line from Calderhead Pit towards Shotts Ironworks. I should dig it out and upload it...

• RMweb Gold

WullyNully,

Thoroughly enjoyed your YouTube posts especially as I had missed that the photo above was a still. My mum has great memories of living in Baton Cottage. My Grandfather (Angus Stewart) was the engineer who looked after the pumps and surface machinery when it closed in the early 50s. The pit was kept on a care and maintenance basis to prevent other workings flooding and Baton was the scene of a nasty accident at this time when a cage sending men underground jammed in the shaft due to icing. The weight of cable piling on the top broke it free and and it fell to the shaft bottom with them inside. I remeber my Grandma telling me about how she made tea and refreshments for the men sent to sort out the results and rescue the survivors. Later, i remember that later occupants had a nasty alsation dog that used to chase me when I went walking past on my way to explore the bing and its surrounding maze of lifted railways. The bing had been topped by the time I knew it (although Greystonelee hadn't and gave a stupendous view from the top!) and Springbank (aka Batonrigg, visible just past Baton in the pic above and still in existence just next to the prison and across the road from my Grandparents later house at Eildon Cottage) also did.

Charles d - also love to see your phots of Baton Brig. Apparently a double decker bus fell/got blown off this bridge in the 50s according to Grandma Etta Stewart.

Gus

• 3 years later...

Hi, new to this site ect , I notice Baton Cottage was mentioned , I have been searching for information / photos of the cottage for a while now , my family owned the house from 1975-1987/88, any help or advice would be great , thanks in advance

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hi, new to this site ect , I notice Baton Cottage was mentioned , I have been searching for information / photos of the cottage for a while now , my family owned the house from 1975-1987/88, any help or advice would be great , thanks in advance

Hi Wiijeni,

I take you probably owned the Alsatian! When you lived at Baton Cottage my grandparents lived at Eildon Cottage (aka Squirrel Cottage) on the Can't Hills road. They moved there from Baton Cottage in the mid 50s and lived in Eildon Cottage until they died in the early 80's. Is there any specific info you would like? I can ask my mum who spent her early years in that house.

Gus

Archived