coachmann

Hi Larry,

Great to see you having another crack, I will be interested to see how you go with the Yank points they do look nice and long.

Cheers Peter.

• RMweb Gold

Looking forward to how you get on Coach. Your previous layout thread was always an impresive read and I can't wait for more of the same :good_mini:

Larry,

I fully agree with these other comments - great to see you having another go. The American points certainly look good in your initial layout, do they do all the necessary types you need - slips, for instance? Hopefully, despite increasing the radius through the station, you'll be able to re-use some of the lovely buildings and scenic features you had made for the previous incarnation?

I'm glad to see that you've been inspired to model at ground level, possibly influenced by my efforts with Delph???!!!!

Please keep us posted with progress.

Regards,

Dave.

• RMweb Gold

For a running movement from the Down Main platform I think it's 'unusual' Larry but all sorts of oddities happened over the years so it's not totally implausible. However I think it would be more believable if you could bring the Oldham Bay /branch crossovers a lot closer in to the double junction although I realise taht the length of branch trains might make this awkward.

An alternative - which you might find horrendous - is to provide a trailing crossover in the branch as close as possible to the double junction solely for allowing a train from the Down Main platform to get onto the branch. I could then take it a stage further by having a facing connection off the branch into the Oldham bay plus a separate connection from the bay going through a diamond to reach the Up branch. But even if you just added the second crossover, near the junction, that would allow parallel moves to take place (branch to Oldham bay, Down Main platform to branch) which would I think be more likely than the simpler layout that you have sketched.

But I am thinking a bit of a GW mould and it might be that this has influenced my thinking http://www.s-r-s.org.uk/html/gwa/S148.htm but the GW weren't the only railway to look for parallel move opportunities and this sort of added facility within a track layout does, I think, help to add a sense of period.

Thanks Mike. Push pull trains terminating in Greenfield from Oldham had no need of run-round facilities but when a non motor fitted loco had to run round its stock the train could be propelled back into carriage sidings adjacent to the Oldham Branch, which had a loop. I haven't the room for these sidings. I'm giving this a lot of thought.

Larry,

Nice to see some more of the "home grown" appearing again. THere's nothing like "them thar hills" to stir the blood Me thinks that you have made a wise choice with Code 83, even if it is "Americanised". I have had good results with European Code 83.

Look forward to further reports.

gresley

Coach, although Greenfield is an excellent choice, it'll mean long double headed express & goods trains (or did most of these go on the loop line ?).

I have a copy of your excellent book Delph to Oldham (SFTP 49). Did you consider this interesting line, (it's probably never been previously modelled). Lees station, shed & goods yard would make a nice medium size layout - and you know all the fine details - you worked there !!.

Oldham Glodwick Rd or even both Clegg St & Central would also make very interesting layouts, (or perhaps all 4 including Mumps !!), though would need alot more space.

Anyway, it's your train set !!. Good luck with Greenfield. I'm looking forward to seeing it develop.

Brit15

Greenfield station on the old line saw most of the passenger traffic and a fair bit of mineral and general goods. Trains certainly used the Micklehurst Loop new line but to model it would lose the local stopping trains, those to Delph, transfer traffic between Glodwick Road and Diggle and light engine movements to and from Leed shed. When I went out to photograph trains on the Loop, it was touch and go if anything would turn up. I have the feeling that if the LNWR had waited a few years until the turn of the Century before they built the Loop line,they would have discovered that it was not necessary.

Glad to see you having another crack at it Larry, the last time you were so nearly there with it, thwarted by that warping. Will be following the thread avidly. Its a shame in a way you cant do a modern version - the last time I got off a train there a couple of months back with a group doing the rail ale trail. The 142 stopped and about 50 people got off, straight off the platform, across the road and into The Railway. I'd love to see someone model that!

Oh yes, a proper day out on the ale trail. Did it last October, started at Stalybridge, couple of cheeky Black 5's (double headed) and then straight to Huddersfield, few round town, Head of Steam and then one at every station coming back - trip abandoned at Greenfield, taxis to Mossley and kebab oblivion. Billet somewhere near Delph.... Most enjoyable.

Good luck with the layout Coach, looking forward to it. Pics look evocative already. Are you starting from scratch or will you rescue some of the structures such as the station buildings etc (weren't they bashed Skaledale in parts)?

Ian

Hi Andy, Much time was spent around Greenfield in the rail blue era and I even had summer holidays in Oldham (!) but the memories still do not compare with those of the steam-era. I have had over two years to work out exactly what I want from the new layout and being properly focussed again has led me back to circa 1953-4. Back-engineering is in prospect for some of the post 1956 maroon coaches and a touch of teak is in for a revival as well... :biggrin_mini2:

Fairburn said :

Are you starting from scratch or will you rescue some of the structures such as the station buildings etc (weren't they bashed Skaledale in parts)?

The buildings (altered Scaledale mostly) and skew road bridge were stored but there will be new higher stone retaining walls and platforms.

• RMweb Gold

I never knew that greenfield was a junction station until I started reading this thread.

I live in holmfirth and quite often I travel through greenfield and lees to oldham and for a while I have thought that certain parts of the landscape looked like a former railway and now ive read this and done a little searching on google earth i've found out there was one.

I wonder how much more there is for me to discover about my local(ish) rail history

• 2 weeks later...

i worked at Greenfield box towards he end of its life an remember the steps being removed from the outside and the builders finding that they and the det placers were all that was stopping the whole box blowing down onto Shaw Hall bank road ( nice 50ft drop ) due to the foundation posts only going four inches down into ash very scarey on a wild winters day

shame some of the old local charactors have now gone new fred the old shunter and Harold " Boy"Burns who started there as a box lad in the fifties would of been a wealth of info from thoses two

rka if you turn left at the grotton hotel ( now the coop ) and goto the end of the road the old station buildings at grotton station are now a house .

the tunnel under lydgate hill is accessable from this end after a short hike but recomend waders and a wet suit as it is very very wet inside.

the rest of the route to Oldham is now a linear path/bridleway to oldham centre comes out at the site of the old glodwick road station opposite the L&Y warehouse that still stands

The elderly signalman I occasionally visited in Greenfield signalbox in the late 1970s was a laugh. The station subway had been persistently flooding after the platform canopies were removed in the 1960s and one of the BR managers from Manchester mentioned the erection of a footbridge, to which the signalman responded "Nay, put in duck boards".

The elderly signalman I occasionally visited in Greenfield signalbox in the late 1970s was a laugh. The station subway had been persistently flooding after the platform canopies were removed in the 1960s and one of the BR managers from Manchester mentioned the erection of a footbridge, to which the signalman responded "Nay, put in duck boards".

sounds like mike who went on the relief lived on Shaw Hall bank road used to get his missus to bring his tea upto the box when on a late turn

....wouldnt like to have taken that bend to fast that the bus is approaching nearly 180deg and on a slope , fun in winter from memory
The 30ft bus is on the wrong side of the road so that it could negotiate the blind hairpin at the bottom if the hill, but out of shot is a lorry approaching in the opposite direction! I worked this route along with the Uppermill from 1961 to 1965. In the early hours on Scouthead during the bad winter of 1963-4 we careered into a snowdrift that was up to the top deck. Some of it fell in onto the open platform. Luckily we only had a handful of passengers and someone from a cottage braved the blizzard with cups of tea until help arrived plus a fresh bus!

Hi coach wouldnt like to have taken that bend to fast that the bus is approaching nearly 180deg and on a slope , fun in winter from memory.

you should see it now with the larger double deckers on the 180 from manchester the two bends at greenfield station are better than any ride at blackpool if you sit up front !

Now then Coach correct me if im wrong but is 107 HBU one of those novel rebuilds with the front opening doors which made life ever so dull as a schoolboy at Royton and Crompton because you could no longer hang off the platform on the number 3 home from school?

I'll be envisaging that ex Salford bus when I go down Shaw Hall Bank in a couple of hours time on my way to band practice!

.....correct me if im wrong but is 107 HBU one of those novel rebuilds with the front opening doors which made life ever so dull as a schoolboy

107 HBU was one of a batch of ten brandnew PD3's delivered in 1964 to make life dull for everyone, not just schoolboys haha. Passengers used the emergency handle to open the doors to jump off where they had always jumped off and the destination blinds had to be wound from upstairs which entailed asking the front seat passengers to move out the way. Nevertheless, these buses lost time on every route they were inflicted upon until we got them on the Greeenfield and Uppermill routes.

• RMweb Gold

Branch trains entering and exiting the Oldham bay platform at its western end do so over a double slip (a single slip is as much use). The Peco Code 75 single slip is 24" radius, far sharper than my ideal when trying to keep to large radius points. An alternative is to replace the slip with a diamond for trains exiting the bay and add a crossover for trains entering the bay. This arrangement takes up virtually the same footprint and still only uses 4 point motors. Any suggestions?

Prototype arrangement at Greenfield (ignore the paper points)....

Alternative using four points and a diamond....

I would go for the real thing. You are modelling a station with an unusual trackplan and so it would be a pity to change it.2nd option also impacts on length of carriage siding. Perhaps you could use Marcway pointwork instead of Peco.

Archived