coachmann

• RMweb Gold

Hi Larry, further to my post re The Manchester Jubilees at Greenfield and in addition to Dave's info, there is a photo page 119, again by Don Cash, 4 August 1962 of 45716 Swiftsure about to enter the station with a Stalybridge to Scarborough special. The branch looks as though it's received fresh ballast.

It is a good book for Jubilee fans and has one of two photos of LMS days.

Thanks Jonathon and Dave. I'll buy the book then. When Delph services ceased in 1955 I had to use my bike and so cycled further afield than Greenfield to a better vantage point at Diggle and occasionally above Marsden Tunnels. I must have traversed the Oldham branch junction at Greenfield quite a few times on the footplate, the final time being in 1961 when I was offered a lift to Lees. However, I am pretty sure the land where the Oldham Bay line used to be was partially used to lessen the curve onto the branch when the junction was relaid. 

Below is a photo shot in July 1946 showing clearly how the up and down track shared the same super-elevated trackbed, which continued through Greenfield station to take in a crossover. Black Five No.5330 is working a Leeds-Manchester train. New Thomson corridor brake third leading wooden Gresley open stock

post-6680-0-43560500-1357667334.jpg

(Photo by Jim Davenport, collection of Brian Green).

• RMweb Gold

Good job you know the number of the black 5, it looks filthy.There are a number of good photos of Diggle and the junction in particular in the book.

The Manchester Jubilees - Paul Shackcloth (what a lovely name) published by Steam Image, IBSN 978-009543128-5-5 £21.99.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

One observation - if you're relaying the branch track anyway, if you move the junction a bit closer to the goods shed the branch platform won't seem as much out of alignment without it giving you any additional work.  Otherwise I foresee yet another 'mod' as the track spacing will look wrong.

There may be good reasons why you can't do this, though.

One observation - if you're relaying the branch track anyway, if you move the junction a bit closer to the goods shed the branch platform won't seem as much out of alignment without it giving you any additional work.  Otherwise I foresee yet another 'mod' as the track spacing will look wrong.

There may be good reasons why you can't do this, though.

I suspect there will be some messing about in that area....might have to curve the point in the branch platform.

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

...well things should proceed quickly with all the track laying experience behind you!!!   ;)

I'm truly glad things have started again.

Yesterday, travelling though Greenfield station, I was trying to spot all the features that your layout has shown me to be there.

(I should have realised you could/would be up to something after saying "it seems slightly warmer today" on your Status Update!)

Kev.

...well things should proceed quickly with all the track laying experience behind you!!!   ;)

I'm truly glad things have started again.

Yesterday, travelling though Greenfield station, I was trying to spot all the features that your layout has shown me to be there.

(I should have realised you could/would be up to something after saying "it seems slightly warmer today" on your Status Update!)

Kev.

if you look very carefully you can see the slowly decaying overgrown remanents of the buffer stop for the head Shunt its also visible as you drive along shaw hall bank road towards the station from mossley.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Peanuts,

if you look very carefully you can see the slowly decaying overgrown remanents of the buffer stop for the head Shunt its also visible as you drive along shaw hall bank road towards the station from mossley.

The remains of this buffer stop was one of the things that I was specifically looking out for.

It's location has been clearly identified by Larry's excellent work but due to the fast train, and the overgrown derelict site, I missed it.

I think I will stop by and have a look tomorrow, as I'll be going that way to visit Tim at Arcadia in Shaw. :)

Kev.

Hi Peanuts,

The remains of this buffer stop was one of the things that I was specifically looking out for.

It's location has been clearly identified by Larry's excellent work but due to the fast train, and the overgrown derelict site, I missed it.

I think I will stop by and have a look tomorrow, as I'll be going that way to visit Tim at Arcadia in Shaw. :)

Kev.

I wouldn't bother Tim and Arcadia are closed till Monday the 8th

• RMweb Gold

Good to have you back in the shed, Larry. It makes me want to get on with my loft conversion. But then your coach threads have inspired me to get on with a Stanier all-third suburban, that's been on the go for the last 12 months and then I went and bought sides for a panelled all-third suburban at the York show. Too much modelling, so little time.

• RMweb Gold

Doh!

I wouldn't bother Tim and Arcadia are closed till Monday the 8th

Thanks for saving the trip.

(Looks like more DIY then instead.)

Kev.

• RMweb Gold

Glad to read you are into coach building Rowsley.

Hi Larry, It's the only way to go if you want LMS suburban rakes as it doesn't look like the rtr trade will oblige any time soon.

No doubt we'll get some books on top of boards on top of laid, pva-ed and ballasted track tonight, all being well?

Archived