coachmann

All I would say Coach is that every time in the past you have laid down Peco you have then had the urge to rip it all up and replace with C&L.

Could history repeat itself here? Might be worth the extra effort up front to lay C&L?

I know but Peco looks pretty attractive just now. 

I put a lot of detail into Greenfield thinking it would give the layout character. It may well have done but I certainly never noticed it because train watching and operation was boring. The detail meant nothing and I bet four planks round the shed walls would do me!  Lesson learned, so if the track is straight and level it will mean more to me than super detailed chaired bullhead with wriggles that niggles!  I can see it now.....track, ballast, ash cess, minimal grass, 2-platform wooden halt for two coaches, level crossing, signal box and a bit of Saddleworth Viaduct.  :imsohappy:

Sounds very much like a plan, looking forward to the outcome.

However I do have one question and that is; why are you reducing the baseboard width, surly that would be better for scenics with the extra width?

Bodge.

Sounds very much like a plan, looking forward to the outcome.

However I do have one question and that is; why are you reducing the baseboard width, surly that would be better for scenics with the extra width?

Bodge.

Just as at Greenfield station, the real tracks at the location I intend modelling are on a narrow shelf cut out of the hillside.  The hillside comes down to the tracks quite steeply. When the Delph branch junction was constructed in later years the navvies had to cut even deeper into the hillside and so the land is held back by a retaining wall (I will avoid modelling the hillside and wall at the front of the baseboard). Eventually the land runs out and the railway crosses the gorge at Saddleworth on a viaduct while the Delph Branch swings off left before the viaduct and follows the valley side to Delph. Therefore, I feel a surplus of land at the front of the baseboard is not desirable and as regards the model tracks, they have to be kept as close to the shed wall as possible in order to give a reasonable radius curve at each end of the shed. The further away from the wall, the sharper the curves. As usual in railway modelling, it is all about compromise. The track will run outside the shed as before but i intend building a wider and longer outdoor shelf............. Weight will be kept down by using different materials next time.

Dear Sir,

I don't think I have posted in your thread before but I have followed your superb workmanship through three 'versions' of Greenfield with utmost admiration. Having seen the last even better product arise from the ashes of it's predecessors. I do not weep but eagerly look forward to what is to come.

I sincerely hope that you will derive enjoyment in building this next masterpiece and that it satisfies your need for both a photo background for your individual masterpieces but also your desire for a scene through which to watch your trains go by.

I hope that I may live to see it fulfilled.

That's very kind Don. 2000+ posts to read through is rather a lot especially when this coachmann chap changes direction so often...  :biggrin_mini2:  I'll keep things simple this time and wire the track up immediately.Timber, track and modelling materials are on order and so a new thread will be started soon. Experience tells me that laying perfectly straight track is more difficult than laying gentle curves and so my preference came down on the side of Peco75. One can slam it edge down on a straight surface and it remains straight during handling. And I know a chap down the road with a long straight edge...!

I did read somewhere that all the local council tips have formed a model railway society and are in the process of building one large modular layout.  

At the rate RMWebber's scrap them (me included!) they will have one hell of a layout.  Who knows what you might see at Warley in a few years time?……:-)

Funny you should say this in jest. Saddleworth Museum assisted me greatly with the Greenfield project and perhaps I should have made an effort to save much more and at least offer it to them. The station and goods shed model might have made a useful 3-D exhibit but i am reusing the all-important skew bridge over the station as a scenic break.

I am reusing the all-important skew bridge over the station as a scenic break.

I presume this would be where it goes out onto the outside shelf ? Could you use some of the station pieces to give an impression of it through the hole?

• RMweb Gold

Sad to see such a great model against the wall like that. But very much looking forward to the new thread/layout. It sounds perfect for what you're after from a completed model... so may even last a few months once you've built it ;)

Neil

End of a trainset....

attachicon.gifWEB Greenfield dismantled.jpg

:cry: :O   :cry:  :shout:        :cry:   :fie:  :cry:   

No more will I go to Oldham Clegg Street and Saddleworth

On the slow train from Middleton Junction and Hollinwood

No bay platform canopy, no (track) up and no (track) down

At Grotton & Springhead and Stalybridge town

We won’t be meeting again on the Slow Train

On the mainline and the goods siding

The grass grows high

At Greenfield, Micklehurst and Measurements (on the Delph branch, closed opened 18-7-1932).

(etc, with apologies...)

• RMweb Gold

It's a shame you can't move Greenfield station to the otherside of the shed wall, in a larger shelf/box thingy, so you can still see it from inside under the bridge...

I presume this would be where it goes out onto the outside shelf ? Could you use some of the station pieces to give an impression of it through the hole?

Sounds like a great idea to me... :)

One can slam it edge down on a straight surface and it remains straight during handling. And I know a chap down the road with a long straight edge...!

Larry,

Given my legendary c@ck-handedness I found a 1 metre steel rule (£10 in a DIY shed) to be the answer to keeping track straight together with the tracksetta on occasion,

Sorry if I am telling you how to suck eggs!

Cheers,

Dave

• RMweb Premium

Larry,

Given my legendary c@ck-handedness I found a 1 metre steel rule (£10 in a DIY shed) to be the answer to keeping track straight together with the tracksetta on occasion,

Sorry if I am telling you how to suck eggs!

Cheers,

Dave

Flamin' 'eck Danem'th; you have laid a metre of track? That's one metre more than me.

Great idea by the way that long rule. I shall use something like that in the fiddle straights on my project. For long, sweeping curves I shall use something like tough cardboard 'templates', even if it is a faff. Sort of an outside (the) tracksetta and that is essential with 'adapted' peco C75 (cut sleeper whatevers for more realistic spacing and I needed some concrete sleeper C75) and what is quite flimsy (but much nicer) C & L & Scaleway C75.

P

I had forgotten the track through the station remained Peco Code 75 and never even noticed it wasn't C+L until this morning. Fine detail is lost on me when operating the layout without specs, but I am aware the camera sees it and that was why I converted to C+L to keep up with the Joneses!  But if I have learned anything it is the chances of laying Peco straight are best because it's a firm product that stays put. This is vital when laying track on PVA without spikes and ballasting at the same time. So if the new trackwork looks a bit primitive, remember dear viewer you will be seeing it through the eye of a camera, not mine!  :smoke:

Typo methinks LNER'......Delph passenger services ceased April 1955. Delph Branch closed 1963.

Was referring to the station (Measurements), not the branch. According to the splendid map in the back of 'Railways around Manchester' [Gilbert/Knight, 1973] Measurements station ('twixt Dobcross and Delph) closed on 18-7-1932. ;)

I had forgotten the track through the station remained Peco Code 75 and never even noticed it wasn't C+L until this morning. Fine detail is lost on me when operating the layout without specs, but I am aware the camera sees it and that was why I converted to C+L to keep up with the Joneses!  But if I have learned anything it is the chances of laying Peco straight are best because it's a firm product that stays put. This is vital when laying track on PVA without spikes and ballasting at the same time. So if the new trackwork looks a bit primitive, remember dear viewer you will be seeing it through the eye of a camera, not mine!  :smoke:

This, no doubt, is why JMW Turner chose to represent the Great Western Railway (Rain, Steam and Speed, 1844) using oil on canvas rather than a Nikon D810.

Was referring to the station (Measurements), not the branch. According to the splendid map in the back of 'Railways around Manchester' [Gilbert/Knight, 1973] Measurements station ('twixt Dobcross and Delph) closed on 18-7-1932. ;)

Measurements opened 18.7.1932 (for peak hour traffic) and closed 30.4.1955

Archived