coachmann

Physicsman :

I'm sure you were "having us on" re. your scratchbuilding!

Honestly I have always bought-in and modified to avoid building buildings. As regards weathering buildings, I find a great source of information are the Ian Allan colour albums covering buses (!!!), as these show lots of buildings and how they weathered.

• RMweb Premium

Physicsman : Honestly I have always bought-in and modified to avoid building buildings. As regards weathering buildings, I find a great source of information are the Ian Allan colour albums covering buses (!!!), as these show lots of buildings and how they weathered.

I've always shyed-away from making buildings, too. I thought I couldn't approach the standard of ready-to-plant buildings, but the problem is that everyone then ends up with the same stuff. So it's great to see you "having a go" and making such a good fist of it. Sandside (Bacup), Ben Alder (Far North Line) and 60091 (S&C) had already convinced me to scratchbuild - hence my viaducts - and now you've joined in. Great stuff.

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Larry, this is some of the best, to-the-point, "just get on with it" modelling I've seen since I started looking at the Forum. Forget about the layout with over 150,000 views (which IS a masterpiece) - I'd rather look at what you are doing, anyday.

Beautifully illustrated - an inspiration to us all. Anyone care to argue that point?

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Physicsman, he said blushingly... :blush_mini:

You've made some very complimentary comments about my viaducts, which I really appreciate. But they are only one (large, admittedly) structure. What you've created here is a wonderful recreation, using years of experience, of a large scene - with dozens of elements in it. I don't know how long you've been planning this, but the rapidity and quality of the build are excellent.

I've always incorporated a large element of "fiction" into my layouts. Having seen what you've done here, I won't bother as I build the structures of KL. I'll stick to my references and sources and try to emulate the kind of things you've done here. This layout of yours has had a profound effect on my approach - I'm glad you built it before I started on the station and goods area. This is exactly why RMweb is such a great Forum - always loads to learn.

And don't blush, Larry! You'll embarrass me!!!!! :sungum: (sunglasses on to shield myself from the beams emanating from North Wales!!)

Jeff

Great pictures, I find it hard to think you started only a month ago and already it looks the part. I think you have captured the look of the station and shed beautifully in comparison to the real thing, I shall continue to follow.

Compared to your work rate I work at a snails pace.

Jim

Guest Max Stafford

I'm really keen to have a go at constructing buildings, Larry. Work like yours only serves to encourage!

Dave.

The road technique you mention is really interesting and has produced a nice result.

I tried a country lane recently using fine grain sand and PVA. Still looks like fine grain sand, unfortunately.

I only visited this station once, a couple of years ago, but your layout certainly reminds me of the place.

At the pace you're setting there may be a clamour for you to extend the layout!

Andy

Larry,

I've not looked in detail but you might find something on Geoff Taylors website.

gtbuildingsmodels.co.uk

Larry,

the footbridge looks like an LNWR one.

Do you already have something in mind. If not I might be able to suggest where you could get some etches ;)

Jol

Thanks Jol but the footbridge is a latterday instalation following years of complaints about the flooded subway. When BR removed the canopies in the later 1960's the rain just sailed through the subway entrances. Greg Fox did tell me where the footbridge came from but I have forgotten. I photographed the bridge during erection and it had fibre glass panels cast off LNWR originals.

Thanks Derek EM8, I looked in on Geoff's website this morning. Plenty of stuff to wade through but it is not easy to work out what is what from the way they are advertised.

I've been intrigued by the very noticeable hump in the pavement outside the station buildings. Guess what, despite the intervening years and the complete rebuilding of the staion into its modern guise, its still there, clocked it on my way down Shaw Hall bank last night on the way t'ut Band band practice.

I will be with the estimable Mr Geoff Taylor all this weekend operating Dewsbury Midland at the East Lancs (Blackburn) show, so will have a chat with him if you like!

• RMweb Premium

Larry, re. post 126. how did you build the stone steps? I've made a similar thing in the past, but it involved moulding the steps out of filler. Looked ok in the end, but very messy and took a while to do. Was there a "quick fix" here?

Jeff

Larry, re. post 126. how did you build the stone steps? I've made a similar thing in the past, but it involved moulding the steps out of filler. Looked ok in the end, but very messy and took a while to do. Was there a "quick fix" here?

Jeff

A lot of squares were out of 60 thou plastikard, then a triangular shaped side was cut out of Wills stone plastic moulding. Commencing at the base I stuck the squares to the side with the edge of each step in line with the angled side. When thoroughly hardnenned, a sharp knife was used to shape the end profile to the steps. Then the centre of each step was scaped away and shaped to make them look walked on for 70 years or so. It is easy.

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for that - I see what you mean. I may have a small number of steps to create, in the vicinity of the station building/platform - far fewer than you had to make. So it's a useful trick to know.

Funny how it's obvious when you know "how"!

Jeff

Larry first and foremost, get in touch with Geoff he probably can help you - He'd just given me a copy of his latest book to have a leaf through and i spotted something very similar hes done - Its in 7mm but he can knock it down to 4mm no problem.

re the bulge in the siding, at least its there Ive got a similar problem with New hey but on the main line. On investigation there appears to be a swelling in the plywood at that point, Ive put it down to diluted PVA when ballasting having an effect, but in truth i will never know. The only solution (and its been there several years now), is to cut out the offending section and replace it and the track at that point. In reality its not going to happen because of the difficulty in carrying it out and getting a reliable repair after. Not going to happen!

Hi Andy C. It might well be what you said. I'm well hacked off seeing as it also affects the mainline to a lesser degree. The framework might have been stressed when altering the front member to accomodate longer slopes past the station and into the goods yard, but the scews will have to be sawn through to release any stress in the frame seeing as they are behind the retaining walls. If plywood has swollen I might replace it with 3" x 1" timber under the rails. I'm off to investigate now..... :butcher:

Archived