coachmann

Oh my goodness - I have been on holiday and what with a lot of things going on before the holiday, I have not been on here for a while. I am truly staggered that you are restarting again. But, on reflection, looking at the standard of your coach-building, I guess you are in pursuit of perfection. If it were me I would have been more than satisfied with the now demolished model, which probably says rather too much about my modelling standards. Still, onwards and upwards as they say. Looking forward to following the rebuild.

PS I also recommend the use of a yard or metre long steel rule for laying straight track, rammed up against and outside one running rail - I also just PVA glue my track to the baseboard using gravity (by way of weights, tall full liquid containers of any kind are ideal).

Hi Coach

I've another one that's spent a couple of days reading through your thread, brilliant!

Having read how you kept changing the track work until you felt it was 'just right' has made me feel far less guilty for pulling up the odd point three or four times.

Looking forward to whatever comes next.

Eddie

• RMweb Premium

A question that bothers me with the Gresley brakes is. the luggage area is inset - does the brass need slightly curving?

Comet ones are cunning in that (and I hope Geoff will correct me if I've got it wrong) the brake part (inset) is like a sort of pod with its' own inner end and as Mozzer says the compartment sides are slightly wider where the two parts meet up so you get the 'inset' shape. It works really well IMO.

post-2326-0-97840000-1406219125_thumb.jpg

Not sure if you can really see the 'join' in this pic of one I did earlier?

Phil

• RMweb Premium

If you're going to keep changing the era, maybe the answer is to paint one side of the coach maroon, and the other side blood & custard. Don't mind me, I'm just confused by all the changes.

What colour or colours do you use for LNER brown?

It's my own concoction going off illustrations and memory. Some experts on here say I cannot possibly remember colours from 60 years ago. Well I remember they were brown and they look the part to me.

• RMweb Premium

New additions for the next layout.... 'Porthole' brake first and a BR Mk.I brake composite, both courtesy Bachmann (and Hattons). I have painted the seats, wheels and curtains.....

attachicon.gifWEB Bachmann porthole bk1st C.jpg

attachicon.gifWEB BR Mk.I bk compo A.jpg

Two more coaches now in Bachmann shades of blood & custard. A Gresley corridor third....

attachicon.gifWEB Gresley third B&C.jpg

A GWR Sunshine corridor third with characteristic brown and fawn seating...

attachicon.gifWEB GWR Sunshine 3rd B&C.2 jpg.jpg

attachicon.gifWEB GWR Sunshine 3rd B&C.jpg

And before anyone asks, the old mind-changer had reverted to 1953! I'm easily led and the friend who loaned me his green Class 24 has a lot to answer for haha.....Not all my maroon coaches will go into blood & custard. The ex.LMS ones will be altered slightly as if they are still in LMS lake. The ex.LNER Gresleys will go to pastures new.

I haven't replied to this before Larry, as I have been frantically trying to work out how I can add some new pastures to Peterborough North. :jester:

• 2 weeks later...

I have PM'd you Gilbert. The problematic L&Y A class 0-6-0 has now been fitted with a modified Bachmann C Class chassis and runs like a dream. I look forward to using it on the Delph Branch goods as well as the occasion passenger working to this Pennine village....

attachicon.gifWEB A Class 15.jpg

attachicon.gifWEB A Class 14.jpg

Hi Larry, how close/accurate a fit is the C Class chassis and in what way did it need to be modified? I assume the wheel spacing and size is about spot on?

Archived