Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Victory Road

Hello all, I've postulated before on creating a layout based on George Orwell's "Nineteen Eightfour". The idea came from watching the film adaption of the book, in the scene were Wilson slips off for a rendezvous in the country with Julia he travels aboard a Train consisting of a group of very battered chocolate and custard Mk1s and Clerestories hauled by a very worn out War Department URSA Dock tank. I immediately started thinking of layout idea, My first proposal was for an MPD, however someone else on the site suggested an urban layout with a bellow street level station. I think the idea is brilliant and, hopefully, now that I have technically stated my Borders layout - don't count on an update, its very busy around here - I may some day bring "Victory road" to life. So I'm really just looking for ideas for this for starters, What urban Station in London would be a good candidate? Bellow Street level and can be fitted on to a 4" by 2" board?

The original Shepherds Bush (Uxbridge Road) would be a potential candidate. Battered filthy canopies giving way to a grimy damp station platforms - a couple of uniformed figures at the end by the foot bridge watching the proccedings. Perhaps even a passenger...

LNWR Electrics, Metropolitan Railway Electrics, GWR/LMS/Southern Steam, Inter-Regional Freights. Depends on era and how much you want to *mix it* together.

Cheers,

~ Gary

Crouch Hill on the North London Line would give an opportunity to run all kinds of things.

Very much the same thought; the NLR post WWII was very much a real vision of what Orwell wrote in his dystopia.

The real challenge would be the working propaganda telescreens to enable the passengers to participate in the 'hates' and to get the latest Minitrue information on Big Brother's triumphs. Presumably the railway would be operated by Miniplenty, so 'Miniplenty Rail' or alternatively 'Ingsoc Rail' might be the potential branding. All service announcements would be in Newspeak and 'double plus good' except where the disruption was beyond disguise, then the double plus bad event would be attributed to hostile action by Eurasia or Eastasia. I suspect there should be a Junior anti-sex league squad room at every station ensuring no mixed sex occupancy of compartments, to prevent any enjoyment of mixed company while the train is in motion, so that everyone makes their journey in a goodthinkful state...

Very much the same thought; the NLR post WWII was very much a real vision of what Orwell wrote in his dystopia.

The real challenge would be the working propaganda telescreens to enable the passengers to participate in the 'hates' and to get the latest Minitrue information on Big Brother's triumphs. Presumably the railway would be operated by Miniplenty, so 'Miniplenty Rail' or alternatively 'Ingsoc Rail' might be the potential branding. All service announcements would be in Newspeak and 'double plus good' except where the disruption was beyond disguise, then the double plus bad event would be attributed to hostile action by Eurasia or Eastasia. I suspect there should be a Junior anti-sex league squad room at every station ensuring no mixed sex occupancy of compartments, to prevent any enjoyment of mixed company while the train is in motion, so that everyone makes their journey in a goodthinkful state...

How big would the screens be? Maybe an old mobile showing repeated shuffle video? or a cheap android tablet?

On another note, I think I might have a word with our station staff to programme the DVA's in newspeak, should cheer up the passengers, sorry, customers!

For mini display screens I wonder whether one of those digital photo keyrings might have some mileage?

I can find a 1.5" one here for under a tenner - http://www.clickshop.com/product/2412/15-digital-photo-frame-keyring/pink/ and you just add the pictures and it'll play them in "slideshow" mode once loaded. Turn it round 90 degrees and make sure all your pictures are landscape-in-portrait (ie rotated 90 degrees before uploading) might work?

This might also work as a digital billboard for more modern layouts.

The more I think about this the more fun it becomes. Two classes on normal trains: prole and outer party. Prole class has bare boards as seating, outer party class as BR first; all compartment stock with no side corridor, no on-train refreshment or lavatories. All these trains stop at every station. I think we had better have separate boarding arrangements at each station by class and sex to ensure goodthinkulness. There are also heavily armoured Pullman style services for the inner party. These have exclusive use of the fast lines on four track, displace all other traffic into holding sidings on lesser routes, and go swiftly from start to destination non-stop at the direction of the inner party individual or group travelling on it. All inner party services work to exclusive inner party stations only, most likely located in the basements of ministry buildings. There's your subterranean station, model it on the Moscow metro...

On ordinary stations lots of ' Is your journey really necessary, Big Brother is watching you' posters to supplement the telescreens, which should be as large as is technically possible for the putatative layout date.

Does anyone know were I could find track plans for the above suggestions?

Also for stock I imagine that, whatever is incharge of the Rail systems in "Orwellverse", Probably is going to look for something that isn't going to require a lot of maintainance, assuming they care enough. So that rules out anything pre-grouping, in fact the most extravgent thing that will turn up at victory road will probably be a B1, again they have no motivation to invest in diesel or electric traction. I like the suggestion of segrated sevices and waiting rooms. How I'm going to achieve the Telescreens I'm not sure, mabye just a tablet phone with its own bracket as suggested. For most passenger work, very dirty Q1s and Standard 4s, with even worse looking Dubdees on freight. What would a freight train in Nineteen Eighty Four look like?

• RMweb Gold

Yes I must admit it's quite fun. Presumably quad-arts would still be soldiering on in 1984. I guess the only clean train would be the 'People's Train' run exclusively for Big Brother and inner party members. Maybe an observation car on the back. Then again would he actually want to see real life?

Yes I must admit it's quite fun. Presumably quad-arts would still be soldiering on in 1984. I guess the only clean train would be the 'People's Train' run exclusively for Big Brother and inner party members. Maybe an observation car on the back. Then again would he actually want to see real life?

I've had an idea for something like this. Fit the "Peoples Train" with double mirrors.

...Also for stock I imagine that, whatever is incharge of the Rail systems in "Orwellverse", Probably is going to look for something that isn't going to require a lot of maintainance, assuming they care enough. So that rules out anything pre-grouping, in fact the most extravgent thing that will turn up at victory road will probably be a B1, again they have no motivation to invest in diesel or electric traction... For most passenger work, very dirty Q1s and Standard 4s, with even worse looking Dubdees on freight. What would a freight train in Nineteen Eighty Four look like?

You have to think yourself into Ingsoc principles. Anything that shows any flair or individuality is right out. So Gresley, Stanier, Maunsell and Bulleid designs will have been scrapped just as fast as possible. Gresley had already died, but all of Bulleid, Stanier, Riddles, Bond and Cox will have been executed along with many more, as all of them were skilled and ambitious engineers. The Riddles WD 2-8-0 will have been rehabiliated however in a classic piece of doublethink, as it is clearly the cheapest traction for the build cost, and by 1984, this and the WD 0-6-0 likely constitute 95% of the traction running the system, as they are built to replace all the earlier double plus ungood traction. Of course there will be a few fast locos which look suspiciously like A4s retained to run the inner party's 'People's' train service at highest speed. (Thanks to the Brillance of Big Brother, to whom is attribured the creation of this design, the steam speed record now stands at 200mph.) Quite possibly Bulleid's extremely high capacity Double Deck design will have become the basis of the prole grade coaching stock, maximum capacity, minimal comfort. (You guessed, another of Big Brother's marvellous innovations.)

Freight is still being moved about slowly in 9 or 10 foot wheelbase wagons, largely opens, as most of what is moved is coal, ore, timber, brick. There's relatively little in the way of manufactures to move around apart from military supplies, and essential government apparatus like the Telescreens.

• RMweb Gold

You have to think yourself into Ingsoc principles. Anything that shows any flair or individuality is right out.

So all that Swindon stuff where you can match any boiler with any wheels and underframe is ok? Also there may just be some high-tech electric trains as the Southern was good at re-using underframes and motors for generations. 2NOL working into the 80's maybe?

Swindon never existed. All that well known 'we are so special' attitude meant that it was obliterated from the map within weeks of BB coming to power, and to even mention such foul words as 'Brunel' or 'Churchward' is a ticket to near instant oblivion at the hands of Miniluv.

The Southern Electric network probably survives in limited form, servicing some choice Southern county areas marked out for the exclusive use of the inner party as a leisure ground and location for their private houses. (It's a while since I read 1984, but I think Orwell implies something of the sort.)

You have to think yourself into Ingsoc principles. Anything that shows any flair or individuality is right out. So Gresley, Stanier, Maunsell and Bulleid designs will have been scrapped just as fast as possible.

Thats quite a fair assesment of the situation.

Gresley had already died, but all of Bulleid, Stanier, Riddles, Bond and Cox will have been executed along with many more, as all of them were skilled and ambitious engineers.

Ahh the brilliance of BB, kill anyone who has any idea what their doing and expect the rest to make it up.

The Riddles WD 2-8-0 will have been rehabiliated however in a classic piece of doublethink, as it is clearly the cheapest traction for the build cost, and by 1984, this and the WD 0-6-0 likely constitute 95% of the traction running the system, as they are built to replace all the earlier double plus ungood traction.

Are you sure the J94 have enough capacity to do that?

Of course there will be a few fast locos which look suspiciously like A4s retained to run the inner party's 'People's' train service at highest speed. (Thanks to the Brillance of Big Brother, to whom is attribured the creation of this design, the steam speed record now stands at 200mph.)

This gives me a rather nasty idea: Platform Two, Victory Road. One of the "Fast Locos" slumps past covered in dirt and ash, its livery? The glorious Black of the Thought police. But there seems to be something odd about this one, theres a stange patch on the side of its casing as if some sort of Plaque was at sometime afixed there.

Quite possibly Bulleid's extremely high capacity Double Deck design will have become the basis of the prole grade coaching stock, maximum capacity, minimal comfort. (You guessed, another of Big Brother's marvellous innovations.)

Freight is still being moved about slowly in 9 or 10 foot wheelbase wagons, largely opens, as most of what is moved is coal, ore, timber, brick. There's relatively little in the way of manufactures to move around apart from military supplies, and essential government apparatus like the Telescreens.

I wonder what a Big Brother tank looks like?

• RMweb Premium

As Airstrip One is part of Oceania, also including the Americas, I would expect to see the relatively anonymous looking but functional products of former US loco works, built to the smaller loading gauge. So a fleet of S160s, USA tanks for shunting and trip freights and a pacific or 4-6-0 type of compatible size. If you weren't too fussy about realtive proportions in the cab area, an H0 loco would probably suit. Another possibility is the Ivatt class 4 mogul, which suits the sort of permanent austerity atmosphere and would be suitable for mass production for general mixed traffic use. Everything painted grey of course, to suppress any sense of individuality. Trains of warflats and warwells forever moving tanks and other AFVs about (always the same ones, just like a layout).

Pete

• RMweb Gold

Don't forget a strategic location like a railway station would need to have pill boxes to be manned in case of imminent attack. No photography signs, and jobsworths hassling people (sounds a bit familiar that). Ok not many folk can afford a camera, let alone find film anywhere to put in it but that didn't stop them in eastern Europe.

Need to have some shelters for party members in case of rocket mortars - proles will have to take their chances, although IIRC ,mortars normally landed in prole zones didn't they?

Wigan Wallgate, of course.

Below street level, and even Orwell would be disgusted with the "Nodding Donkey" pacers. The adjacent "Uncle Joe's" mintball factory could be renamed as "Big Brothers".

4084706549_5e59510bd5.jpg

A new face needed !!

Uncle-Joes-Mint-Ball-fact-001.jpg

The Orwell at Wigan Pier

4554257590_85d81dd8c3_z.jpg

The canal tunnels lead to Room 101 !!!!!!!!!!

Brit15

Ok people, ideas for cameos, lets have em.

Read 'An Incident at Krechetovka [Kochetovka] Station' (alternatively 'We Never Make Mistakes') for an idea or two drawn from life under a genuine 'Big Brother'. How many folk here knew that A Solzhenitsyn wrote a railway story? Although TTTE it isn't, the engines all keep their heads down in case the Mad Bad Controller takes an interest in them...

Archived