P. D. Hancock - Craig and Mertonford Railway

JeremyC

I have recently made three police inspector figures for someone, to be posed as the same person:

1. standing, taking out (or putting away) notebook/wallet, etc. out of (into) jacket pocket,

2. standing, with briefcase (same case on the floor by the previous figure) and

3. sitting in same overcoat as the standing version.

Hat adjusted to be similar for all three.

Edited by BernardTPM

1 hour ago, rockershovel said:

.... presumably on the basis that real people appear in different poses, in different locations at different times? 

True of course but I was referring to PDH's named characters, but no reason that they should be any different.

2 hours ago, BernardTPM said:

I have recently made three police inspector figures for someone, to be posed as the same person:

1. standing, taking out (or putting away) notebook/wallet, etc. out of (into) jacket pocket,

2. standing, with briefcase (same case on the floor by the previous figure) and

3. sitting in same overcoat as the standing version.

Hat adjusted to be similar for all three.

That famous police greeting of 'ello, 'ello, 'ello comes to mind...................,

Hat, coat etc.....

Malcolm 

6 hours ago, Albyn said:

Looking at Narrow Gauge Adventure, 1980 edition, the tubby chap in the remains of an armchair seems to be the shed master - see page 50 and at least one version of "Old Andra" looks very similar to the shepherd figure I posted as Merit (perhaps Slaters?) on page  60.  PDH says the sheep were Slaters.  It seems that like Lord Craig named characters could change figures over time or even be two different people.  Angus McPwat is suggested as probably being one of the figures with a hammer outside the engine shed for instance, page 57. 

regards,

Albyn 

Albyn

The only version of 'Old Andra' the shepherd I can think of is the version shown on p60 of NGA, and in the same photo caption we are also reminded freebies from Christmas crackers also found their way onto Craigshire!!

Angus McPwhat, or Macpwhat depending on which page of NGA you are reading, appears in various guises.  The chap 'could that possibly be Angus himself' on p57 of NGA looks like the caveman to the left in the photo below with the hammer over his head rather than the bare chested chap with the hammer working at the anvil.   Whichever one is Angus hammering away who is driving 'Colin' with Angus's dog standing on top of the rear bunker?  Which of the two footplate crew is Angus?  

49964886092_0449b4d231_b.jpgTwo of Angus Macphwat / McPhwat by Malcolm MacLeod, on Flickr

You could end up in the funny farm trying to unravel it all :laugh:

Malcolm

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Four fat, sleeping Graham Farish men.

Three of the figures are in the club collection whilst the fourth, the one which includes the chap reading the newspaper was gifted to a former member of the club, Ron Stevenson, on whose layout they were photographed.

49964959542_3ebeff7131_b.jpgThree fat sleeping men by Malcolm MacLeod, on Flickr

49945650148_6315751505.jpgRons Stevensons tram layout Apr 2013 crop by Malcolm MacLeod, on Flickr

At one time I thought Andrew MacAlistair, described on p67 of NGA and on p55 of the Mar 1954 RM as the chap having forty winks on the back of the work car, was the same Graham Farish model posed as Andrew McNab at Glenmuir [RM Nov 1955 p252] and over the years appearing in different places to suit PD’s photographic purposes.  As the 1950’s published photographs were in black and white and a tad grainy it was virtually impossible to say whether PD was using the same figurine not just for Andrew MacAlistair and Andrew McNab but also the slumbering man at Craig goods shed [NGA p32, lower right & RM Apr 1958 p81], the slumbering yard foreman [NGA p50 & p357 RM Dec 1967], the chap slumbering on a seat on Craig Station [NGA p53 & P356 RM Dec 1967] and the chap on the cart on p100 [lower right] of NGA.  However later colour photographs and surviving models at least answer some of the Who’s Who questions.

NGA p50 – the yard foreman slumbers in a chair propped up against the tool shed [now at Dundreich].  When the Ravenglass & Eskdale RPS donated various buildings from Craig to the E&LMRC there was a box with a number of items, coal stage, water tower, driver having a cuppa and this slumbering figurine.  It would therefore appear to be fairly safe to assume this slumbering figurine is the Yard Foreman and this is backed up by the photo below:

49965010062_6d883af857_c.jpgC&M1026 -Craig engine sheds crop by Malcolm MacLeod, on Flickr

I must have a rummage and see if I can trace the foreman's seat.   

In the photo below there is confirmation of the chap on the bench at Craig station.  There is a b&w photo of this chap and seat on p51 of NGA.

49964237473_42b1075e27_c.jpgRM 1990 Special No2 p16 - C&M0815 by Malcolm MacLeod, on Flickr

Ruling out the chap on the station seat can you work out which of three models were used for Andrew MacAlistair and Andrew McNab but also the slumbering man at Craig goods shed?

Malcolm

Edited by dunwurken
  • Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

I rather imagine that PDH himself, didn’t worry unduly about such things, that he simply inserted isolated comments in separate items published in various magazines with no real concern for continuity. He would be in good company; Dickens and Conan Doyle did much the same. 

• Like 2

My introduction to Craigshire was the Colour Feature article in the April 1980 RM. I still have it, along with as many other articles from RM as I've been able to find over the years, plus of course, 'The Book'.

The 1980 colour photos were all of the 3rd incarnation of the layout, of course, so it's been interesting to see colour views on this thread from earlier times. Which leads me to a question which might make for interesting conversation:- 

Given that, in simplified terms, there were 3 distinct versions of Craigshire, which one would people consider to have been the best?

I know the layout underwent continuous development, but I'd define the 3 versions as;

1. Original, with harbour, mostly narrow gauge, trams, but standard gauge encroaching.

2. 1st rebuild, no harbour. Town raised at rear, large station both NG & SG.

3. 2nd rebuild. New harbour, no SG station, NG Pier station.

This does concentrate on Craig itself; the outlying villages came & went with the rebuilds.

P.D. himself I think found the second Craigshire, without the harbour, the least satisfying, leading to the third version, and I would've agreed. But out of versions 1 & 3, which looked the best?

• Like 2

7 hours ago, rockershovel said:

I rather imagine that PDH himself, didn’t worry unduly about such things, that he simply inserted isolated comments in separate items published in various magazines with no real concern for continuity. He would be in good company; Dickens and Conan Doyle did much the same. 

You have hit the nail on the head.   Nor did he worry about practical things in his layout design such as how, in the third layout, the population of Craig were supposed to access Craig Pier station without either taking a boat across the harbour or clambering over the boat building yard or wandering through Peter Allans works!

• Like 3
  • Funny 1

17 hours ago, dunwurken said:

Four fat, sleeping Graham Farish men.

Three of the figures are in the club collection whilst the fourth, the one which includes the chap reading the newspaper was gifted to a former member of the club, Ron Stevenson, on whose layout they were photographed.

49964959542_3ebeff7131_b.jpgThree fat sleeping men by Malcolm MacLeod, on Flickr

49945650148_6315751505.jpgRons Stevensons tram layout Apr 2013 crop by Malcolm MacLeod, on Flickr

At one time I thought Andrew MacAlistair, described on p67 of NGA and on p55 of the Mar 1954 RM as the chap having forty winks on the back of the work car, was the same Graham Farish model posed as Andrew McNab at Glenmuir [RM Nov 1955 p252] and over the years appearing in different places to suit PD’s photographic purposes.  As the 1950’s published photographs were in black and white and a tad grainy it was virtually impossible to say whether PD was using the same figurine not just for Andrew MacAlistair and Andrew McNab but also the slumbering man at Craig goods shed [NGA p32, lower right & RM Apr 1958 p81], the slumbering yard foreman [NGA p50 & p357 RM Dec 1967], the chap slumbering on a seat on Craig Station [NGA p53 & P356 RM Dec 1967] and the chap on the cart on p100 [lower right] of NGA.  However later colour photographs and surviving models at least answer some of the Who’s Who questions.

NGA p50 – the yard foreman slumbers in a chair propped up against the tool shed [now at Dundreich].  When the Ravenglass & Eskdale RPS donated various buildings from Craig to the E&LMRC there was a box with a number of items, coal stage, water tower, driver having a cuppa and this slumbering figurine.  It would therefore appear to be fairly safe to assume this slumbering figurine is the Yard Foreman and this is backed up by the photo below:

49965010062_6d883af857_c.jpgC&M1026 -Craig engine sheds crop by Malcolm MacLeod, on Flickr

I must have a rummage and see if I can trace the foreman's seat.   

In the photo below there is confirmation of the chap on the bench at Craig station.  There is a b&w photo of this chap and seat on p51 of NGA.

49964237473_42b1075e27_c.jpgRM 1990 Special No2 p16 - C&M0815 by Malcolm MacLeod, on Flickr

Ruling out the chap on the station seat can you work out which of three models were used for Andrew MacAlistair and Andrew McNab but also the slumbering man at Craig goods shed?

Malcolm

Many thanks for taking the time to pull all these photos out or perhaps even take them,

thank you,

Albyn

On 03/06/2020 at 10:27, F-UnitMad said:

My introduction to Craigshire was the Colour Feature article in the April 1980 RM. I still have it, along with as many other articles from RM as I've been able to find over the years, plus of course, 'The Book'.

The 1980 colour photos were all of the 3rd incarnation of the layout, of course, so it's been interesting to see colour views on this thread from earlier times. Which leads me to a question which might make for interesting conversation:- 

Given that, in simplified terms, there were 3 distinct versions of Craigshire, which one would people consider to have been the best?

I know the layout underwent continuous development, but I'd define the 3 versions as;

1. Original, with harbour, mostly narrow gauge, trams, but standard gauge encroaching.

This does concentrate on Craig itself; the outlying villages came & went with the rebuilds.

P.D. himself I think found the second Craigshire, without the harbour, the least satisfying, leading to the third version, and I would've agreed. But out of versions 1 & 3, which looked the best?

I find that most narrow gauge modellers prefer the first version pre standard gauge intrusion.  For myself  I think the final version of the first layout was probably the best but the third layout is close second.

Malcolm 

Edited by dunwurken
  • Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

5 hours ago, F-UnitMad said:

I agree with your comments about the early colour photos - fascinating.  

I think the early first Craig is my favourite.  Much as I like the pre=grouping standard gauge locos and stock, the extra standard gauge did rather clog the main layout up a bit and lost a lot of the scenic content and arrangement that made it look so attractive in such a small space.   I like the trams and the castle but some of the early photos have a nice uncluttered look.  The early narrow gauge locos are also the ones with the most charm.  By the time of the later ones 009 was well established and other people were making similar things.  However his writing is a lot of the charm.  It really is very enjoyable to read.  Although lots of modern layouts have back stories PDH''s is still the most readable. 

I do have scans of many of the Modeller articles which I'd be happy to forward.  Can't really post them on a website without permission from PECO.

regards,

Albyn

• Like 3

21 hours ago, F-UnitMad said:

For that picturesque quality I think the 3rd incarnation is prettiest, with its harbour station and paddle steamer, but the Narrow Gauge was very simple on this layout, seemingly having lost out to the standard gauge over the years. I discount the 2nd version (no water) so as a narrow gauge model railway perhaps the first is the best?

I too find the book the best read, the most inspiration of ANY model railway publication I have ever read. There's something else too, a kind of warm and fuzzy window into someone else's life, someone you feel you can relate to very strongly.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, dunwurken said:

You have hit the nail on the head.   Nor did he worry about practical things in his layout design such as how, in the third layout, the population of Craig were supposed to access Craig Pier station without either taking a boat across the harbour or clambering over the boat building yard or wandering through Peter Allans works!

Most popular series do it, to varying extents. There’s a continuity problem in the Toy Story series, in that Toy Story 2 presents a situation in which the original series appears to date from the 1950s, and implies that Woody and Jessie May originally have belonged to Andy’s mum, all of which Woody seemed to be quite unaware of... Ken Barlow has had more wives than the Sultan of Brunei, by now. It’s just something inherent in the genre..

• Like 1

On 03/06/2020 at 15:58, Albyn said:

I do have scans of many of the Modeller articles which I'd be happy to forward.  Can't really post them on a website without permission from PECO.

regards,

Albyn

I, with the exception of three magazines from the USA, have acquired copies of all PD's articles whether in RM or elsewhere.  What is more they are all scanned although some could do with being re-scanned to a better standard (another job for another day) and they are all indexed in date order.  Also acquired, scanned and indexed are articles or other items relating to Craigshire/CMR/PDH written and published by others mostly from 2000 onwards.  This continues up to the present day namely the 009 News article on the Charter Day 2020.   I cannot claim with any certainty this list is 100% complete, indeed I've just thought of another one not on the list!   There is also an index of instances where photographs by PD (not necessarily of Craigshire) have been used to illustrate another author's work, again I cannot claim this is 100% complete.

If anyone wants Pdf copies of the indices, just drop me a pm.  Also pdf copies of any of the articles can also be made available for anyone undertaking their own research into PD and Craigshire.

One problem with modern technology and in particular forums such as  this one or NGRM, etc is the amount of interesting information that is available regarding PD and Craigshire but which could just disappear overnight if the proprietors of the forums pulled the plug out.  Much information could be permanently lost.  For instance Ted Polet (of Craigcorrie & Dunalistair fame) organises  the 009 Society Dutch Group site which includes information regarding the visits over the years of C&MR locos to the C&AR.  A recent revamp of the site caused me some angst as some of the information seemed to disappear however Ted pointed me in the direction of the archive where the information now resides.  I won't have that panic again as the information has been downloaded and hard copy printed.   So beware if there is anything you see on a forum that could be interest in the future.  Download it and/or print a hard copy.  

Malcolm

Edited by dunwurken
  • Agree 2

11 hours ago, rockershovel said:

Most popular series do it, to varying extents. There’s a continuity problem in the Toy Story series, in that Toy Story 2 presents a situation in which the original series appears to date from the 1950s, and implies that Woody and Jessie May originally have belonged to Andy’s mum, all of which Woody seemed to be quite unaware of... Ken Barlow has had more wives than the Sultan of Brunei, by now. It’s just something inherent in the genre..

Yes I somewhere compared the goings on in Craigshire to a tv soap with even different actors taking the part of the same character.  How many actors have played Lord Craig or Angus McPhwat??

Malcolm

Edited by dunwurken
  • Like 1

I think Duncan has been rebuilt as PDH removed the gears for reuse?  Does it still have the vertical motor with Meccano gears under the roof or does it now have a more conventional drive unit please?

regards,

Albyn

PD gifted the non-working “Duncan” to Rod Allcock who has since fully restored and re-motored her. Rod related the following story to me a few years ago.

When PD let Rod have Duncan he couldn't get a cheep out of the motor.  This was traced to the (very crude) brush gear having worn away and Rod replaced it with the brush gear from a defunct Minitrix motor.  Duncan was then kitted out with new rear wheels (Jackson) and a set of Romford 20:1 gears driving the rear axle. This gave a total reduction of about 140:1 and a lot of noise. 

Then the original motor finally gave out.  Later Rod was speaking to PD one day he said 'I suppose there is no chance of getting a new Ever Ready Mighty Midget motor' to which Rod replied that the true solution would be to strip out the internals and make a new chassis fitting inside the frame with a modern motor driving a layshaft and worm gears to both axles.  There was a short silence broken by PD saying 'what, you mean turning it into a real locomotive? I'll have to think about that!'   About three weeks later the phone rang and it was PD t say that he had spoken to Lord Craig about Duncan and he's given you carte blanche to do what you want with him!'   PD also mentioned that “Duncan’s” nameplates were made of paper and were cut out from a Duncan’s chocolate bar wrapper.

Duncan no longer has the vertical motor but still has the gears under the roof.   The original worm and worm wheel were donated to Craig & District Electric Tramway Co. Tramcar No.2 - see NGA pages 24/5.  The worm and worm-wheel had come from a Zenith motor bogie, most probably the bogie which powered the “Petrol Driven Work Car”.  Exactly when the donation took place is not recorded. 

Three photos of Duncan attached, two of the cab showing the gears under the roof and one showing the current underside arrangements.   The green commutators of the current motor can be seen in the centre of the loco either side of the layshaft.  I regret I cannot show you more of the inside as basically quite a bit of dismantling would be required and, as the model is working well at the moment it is a case of it ain't broke don't fix it.  If it ever breaks down to the extent that a complete dismantling is required I will remember to take some photos.

Malcolm

49974753811_cc92446be6_b.jpgDuncan cab and driver jun 2020 by Malcolm MacLeod, on Flickr

49974234278_509d608447_b.jpgDuncan cab jun 2020 by Malcolm MacLeod, on Flickr

49974234233_ffe91fb5c0_b.jpgDuncan underside Jun 2020 by Malcolm MacLeod, on Flickr

• Like 8

Yes the gear rotates if you use your finger but it is no longer connected to the drive mechanism.

Apparently 'Duncans' driver, Angus MacWhirter and who can be seen in the earlier post, prevailed upon Rod Allcock not to connect up the gear in the roof as it was a health and safety hazard.   On a number of occasions he had very nearly been decapitated by it and had lost count of the number of caps that had been whisked of his head if he got too close to it whilst on the move. ;)    You will recall this is the same driver who in 1899 was thrown off the footplate as a result of the locomotives erratic motion.  The chain around the cab was added thereafter however the corrugated iron awning was not supplied until 1911 – in spite of repeated entreaties by the same Angus MacWhirter who disliked being soaked to the skin every time it rained. :sad_mini:

Malcolm  

• Like 4

23 hours ago, dunwurken said:

PD gifted the non-working “Duncan” to Rod Allcock who has since fully restored and re-motored her. Rod related the following story to me a few years ago.

When PD let Rod have Duncan he couldn't get a cheep out of the motor.  This was traced to the (very crude) brush gear having worn away and Rod replaced it with the brush gear from a defunct Minitrix motor.  Duncan was then kitted out with new rear wheels (Jackson) and a set of Romford 20:1 gears driving the rear axle. This gave a total reduction of about 140:1 and a lot of noise. 

Then the original motor finally gave out.  Later Rod was speaking to PD one day he said 'I suppose there is no chance of getting a new Ever Ready Mighty Midget motor' to which Rod replied that the true solution would be to strip out the internals and make a new chassis fitting inside the frame with a modern motor driving a layshaft and worm gears to both axles.  There was a short silence broken by PD saying 'what, you mean turning it into a real locomotive? I'll have to think about that!'   About three weeks later the phone rang and it was PD t say that he had spoken to Lord Craig about Duncan and he's given you carte blanche to do what you want with him!'   PD also mentioned that “Duncan’s” nameplates were made of paper and were cut out from a Duncan’s chocolate bar wrapper.

Duncan no longer has the vertical motor but still has the gears under the roof.   The original worm and worm wheel were donated to Craig & District Electric Tramway Co. Tramcar No.2 - see NGA pages 24/5.  The worm and worm-wheel had come from a Zenith motor bogie, most probably the bogie which powered the “Petrol Driven Work Car”.  Exactly when the donation took place is not recorded. 

Three photos of Duncan attached, two of the cab showing the gears under the roof and one showing the current underside arrangements.   The green commutators of the current motor can be seen in the centre of the loco either side of the layshaft.  I regret I cannot show you more of the inside as basically quite a bit of dismantling would be required and, as the model is working well at the moment it is a case of it ain't broke don't fix it.  If it ever breaks down to the extent that a complete dismantling is required I will remember to take some photos.

Malcolm

49974753811_cc92446be6_b.jpgDuncan cab and driver jun 2020 by Malcolm MacLeod, on Flickr

49974234278_509d608447_b.jpgDuncan cab jun 2020 by Malcolm MacLeod, on Flickr

49974234233_ffe91fb5c0_b.jpgDuncan underside Jun 2020 by Malcolm MacLeod, on Flickr

Thank you very much for the photos.  Fascinating.  As a young teenager in the 1960s given some old Railway Modellers, I found Duncan an amazing creation and is still my favourite.  I'm pleased Lord Craig authorised a new boiler for him to get him up and running again! 

Also thank you Malcolm for suggesting reading the article on PDH in Issue 88 of Narrow Gauge and Industrial railway modelling review.  I duly acquired a back number - still available from the publisher - and found the article fascinating with details of PDH's life and why the C&M was never resurrected completely even in O gauge form after 1987.  The house move meant the C&M had to be dismantled and most of it was 30-40 years old and had been rebuilt three times already.  However the new bungalow had a large garden suitable for a garden railway and with the death of his mother, who had sufferred a stroke some years before, his father having died in 1967, PDH, having now retired was able to travel more widely, enjoy hill walking, gardening and the garden railway.  The loft or attic where the O gauge C&M was begun had no insulation and so was uncomfortable to work in for much of the time so didn't progress rapidly. 

• Informative/Useful 1

All really interesting stuff!  My preference for the best version is the first as it was this one that was featured in my first copy of RM and I couldn't stop showing it to anyone who visited the house!  My ambition then was to be able, one day, to build locos etc. as good as PDH and, despite many years and many locos in P4, it still is!

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1