P. D. Hancock - Craig and Mertonford Railway

JeremyC

With the identity of some of the figures on the layout being Mastermodels, or very similar ones by Merit and Slaters, the connctions are explained in The Illustrated Kemlow Story - Including the Mastermodel Story by Paul Brookes came out in 2009.  You can order a copy on ebay for £22.95  or by emailing mastermodels@btinternet.com as Paul accepts Paypal or a cheque.  Via a mutual pal I was given Paul's telephone number and had a few words with him.  He only has a few copies left so if you want one get one now!  The book does explain that the three firms - Kemlow (makers of Mastermodels), Merit (J & L Randall) and Slaters were all based in Wood Green in the 1950s within a few hundred yards of each other.  A lot of employees were temporary and moved between the firms.  Basically the latter two firms did indeed copy the Kemlow figures, though the actual story is quite complicated and you really need to buy the book to find out some details of what happened and the fate of Mastermodels in the 1960s when they also began making items in plastic.

The goods yard crane that I thought was Dinky is actually a 4mm version by Mastermodels,

regards,

Albyn

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

On 01/06/2020 at 20:23, Albyn said:

Thanks for the photos.

Some years back I bought a job lot of figures at a club stand and I think some maybe used by PDH.

Slaters Huminiatures which he mentions using.

Airfix Civilians that were probably used albeit modified.

Airfix Wagon Train Lady?

Merit seated passengers and bike?

IMG_4163.JPG

IMG_4164.JPG

IMG_4165.JPG

IMG_4167.JPG

Just a slight caveat , I have a number of the old Airfix figures on a layout, and while recently trying to replace a 'pin up a leg' that had come away the entire leg broke off. I checked another figure I was about to paint and the same happened. The plastic has obviously got brittle over the years.

• Informative/Useful 1

• 2 years later...

The 3.5 mm figures by Authenticast mentioned earlier were a sub brand of Comet, and were manufactured in Ireland for a short time until the factory was destroyed by fire. They are hollow cast, two are almost identical to the Hornby Dublo figures apart from not having HD on the base, and could be mistaken for piracies. the others are in a noticeably different style, designed by Holgar Eriksson and with his initials on the bases.
As far as I know this picture shows the whole HO range, hopefully useful for identifying some of the Craigshire residents.

cometauthenticastset.jpg

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Thank you @jon attwood for the info on Authenticast.  I picked up your posts on Bernard TPM's "Plastic 00 Figures 1950-80 1950-60's" in the Collectable/Vintage area indeed it was discussion between Bernard and myself concerning the ancestry of the Craigshire population which led to Bernard starting the topic which he hoped would help others who, like myself, were having difficulty identifying the many different model figures available in the past.

Your contribution has filled another of the voids.  Thank you.

Malcolm

• Like 2
  • Agree 1