Waverley Route Signal Boxes

millerhillboy

• 2 weeks later...

Pleased to report that my employer is planning to donate a number of signals for reuse at Whitrope next year. Stirling Middle 'box is a listed building, and so too are the mechanical pegs it works, which means that when they come down and the colour lights go up, they need preserving in an appropriate setting. The Railway Heritage Committee has now ratified the deal, and Iain Mac has produced a signalling scheme plan showing where they'll be re-erected.

While the ones we've been offered are LMS/ BR tubular posts as opposed to NB lattice, they'll still be a lovely sight up there, especially at night when the lamps are lit. Tentative plans are being formulated to design and build a replica NB 'box to work them, albeit closer to the summit than the original.

As ever, WRHA welcomes any offers of assistance, financial or physical, and would be delighted to hear from any of you out there with practical experience in modelling the Sick & Tired in 1:1 scale (when it comes to the "black arts", Newcastleton P.Way is firmly muggle-born).

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

Whilst searching through some old documents in my collection I came across an Hours of Opening of Signal Boxes, Twwemouth and Carlisle to Perth, Aberdeen, Inverness, Wick and Branches, 11th September 1961 until further notice booklet.

Here's the route

post-6662-0-37692100-1354368305_thumb.jpg

post-6662-0-31554200-1354368311_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Fantastic discovery Dave! Before the cull of '63-ish too.

Scotch Dyke has gone by the look of it (presumably its accomm L/C became user-worked), and Fushiebridge (was there a 'box there?).

EDIT: from the above, I expect we can work out the block sections compared to those in the previous decade as detailed in 'The District Controller's View.'

Edited by 'CHARD

• RMweb Gold

Forgot to mention

The swirl symbol, for example next to junction in the enlargement below, means "No closing switch provided" i.e. the box could not switch out and traffic could still pass.

post-6662-0-94790800-1354371580.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Scotch Dyke?

Guess I must be going daft as I knew where it was from the photo but thought Bruce's puzzler meant something to do with the groundframe, not the place.

ie. The answer might become clear if you had a scotch dyke ... meant absolutely nothing to me!