The Blacksmith 4mm kits are been sold to Cooper Craft and I an hoping to have the first ones out again in time for the Railwells show. Until I know what etchings are in hand I don't know which will come out first, but in the new batch of etchings that the current owner had done there is no etchings for the engine kits. The mouldings for the white metal parts will be dropped of to a third party on the way home to be run for me for now.

I wasn't going to announce this until they were in hand, but as they now has been listed on this forum for the EM north (I needed more stand space)I thought I better put it on here as well. The other scales will all be available sometime from the current owner and his plan is to bring more of them out in 7mm as scale as this is the reason he took over the range in the first place.

• RMweb Premium

The Blacksmith 4mm kits are been sold to Cooper Craft and I an hoping to have the first ones out again in time for the Railwells show. Until I know what etchings are in hand I don't know which will come out first, but in the new batch of etchings that the current owner had done there is no etchings for the engine kits. The mouldings for the white metal parts will be dropped of to a third party on the way home to be run for me for now.

I wasn't going to announce this until they were in hand, but as they now has been listed on this forum for the EM north (I needed more stand space)I thought I better put it on here as well. The other scales will all be available sometime from the current owner and his plan is to bring more of them out in 7mm as scale as this is the reason he took over the range in the first place.

Hi

I placed an order with them back in February for a number of kits and bits and never got any feed back from them. Shall I email you my order via your website or wait until you've added the range to the web site.

Cheers SS

I would like to welcome Paul's initiative and wish him every sucess with it. The present owners might well have bought the range for its 7mm content but to remain so incommunicado for so long about the 4mm products strikes me as very odd business practice. Their website is a mess and their presence at shows erratic. Maybe they should be referred to Trading Standards!

Chris

• RMweb Gold

This is good news, although I did enjoy the Grauniad moment in the Topic Heading!

Taking money with no other response is a very bad business practice in a world where bad news spreads faster than ever before, but I have felt for some time that the owners had bitten off more than they could chew, and were simply floundering. Their 4mm range has some interesting content, and I look forward to being able to access it from a reliable source.

....the owners had bitten off more than they could chew, and were simply floundering. .....

They wouldn't be the first: Ks/Nu-Cast (during the Chris Crawley era), Centre Models, ProScale (arguably), Impetus, Sharman Wheels.....

I wouldn't hold your breath. I placed an order online a month ago, payment taken but no sign of the goods as yet.

I must now report that on arriving home today I find that the order has safely arrived. Slow service but at least there is siome service.

I wouldn't hold your breath. I placed an order online a month ago, payment taken but no sign of the goods as yet.

The taken payment is due to the new more secure web site I am using now, as the payment is taken at the time of the order not at the time of dispatch as it was in the past. I will see if all the orders can be treated like the export orders where I have to confirm the P&P and VAT before they pay for all the goods.

Hi

I placed an order with them back in February for a number of kits and bits and never got any feed back from them. Shall I email you my order via your website or wait until you've added the range to the web site.

Cheers SS

They should be giving me a list of outstanding orders which they say they have got. Thy will be going onto my web site when they go into stock.

• 3 weeks later...

I, and I doubt I am alone, had not ordered anything from them (Blacksmith Models), in no small part to lack of response. I have every sympathy for illness, though without updates, one's sympathy wanes.

I look forward to being able to purchase kits from the new owner and if he can confirm he will have some at Railwells I am highly likely to make the trip across from Sussex.

I look forward too, to seeing an update on the new owner's website, for even without listing what is available, or likely to be available, he will engender interest.

Here's to the future, and wishing the venture takes off as it should.

regards

Nigel

Update.

I have arrived home this afternoon with the Blacksmith 4mm range. There is a few kits ready for dispatch and a lot of sheets of etchings in most cases 2 kits on each sheet. Once I know what I have got I will be making the updating of my web site live. They will be contacting the people with out standing orders direct, but if this applies to any members on here (I know of one already) they can PM me here, and any others who want some can do the same (including orders for Railwells).

• RMweb Premium

Just caught this by accident.

I wish you all the best with this venture.

Will re-browse the catalogue when I get back to the UK.

This is great news. I have a few Mallard and Blacksmiths models and I've been wanting to add to them so I will be keeping an eye on the catalogue to see what becomes available.

All the best for this and I hope it is successful.

Jim

• 2 weeks later...

Yes there will be spare parts available when everything is strait as will be the detailing kits as well. Some of these which were already packed when I took over will be taken to Railwells this weekend.

A new order of etchings will be ordered next week, so hoping to have most of the range in for EM North and Scalefour.

• 2 weeks later...

The etchings for most of the range is now on order (there was about 170 drawings to go through and to record what was there before they were taken to the etchers) but not for the steam railmotors and engine kits as they were meant for the Hornby X04 motors with the cut outs in the side frames to take these. Completely new power bogies/chassis will be done for these to take them up to the standards people will expect these days, and made easy for the people who will want to make them compensated as well. I will like to get the GWR steam railmotors back in production before the end of the year.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived