Available 00 vehicles, summat missing

The range of available vehicles from Oxford and Pocketbond has mushroomed incredibly over the last few years, with 3-wheelers and even a motorbike now on the stocks. But there seems to be one rather strange omission, the humble Austin Seven, surely one of the commonest cars on the road during the '30s, '40s and even into the '50s, if I recollect aright. The only one available "off the peg" as far as I know (in HO) is a delightful BMW Dixi produced, I think, by Schuco, at a price a bit beyond my pocket. Also LH drive, of course!

Another omission I find strange is a 00 steam lorry, given the number still available in odd scales by Matchbox, Lledo Days Gone By, and Corgi. Again, I suppose it is a touch of nostalgia with me, as I remember seeing them as a youngster in Liverpool, I suppose in the early '50s. Not sure what or whose they were, Sentinels I suppose, but I remember they made quite a clatter, as though chain driven, though I'm no expert.

I had a pal at the time who decided that, rather than going train spotting like a normal kid, he wanted to collect BRS lorry numbers, so I remember what seem to have been hours of boredom at the junction of Prescot Road and Queens Drive, which is the spot I saw the steam wagons passing, I think fairly frequently, as they didn't arouse much comment.

It might be interesting to hear if anyone else has any recollections of this sort. Unfortunately, perhaps, I no longer live in the UK.

The range of available vehicles from Oxford and Pocketbond has mushroomed incredibly over the last few years, with 3-wheelers and even a motorbike now on the stocks. But there seems to be one rather strange omission, the humble Austin Seven, surely one of the commonest cars on the road during the '30s, '40s and even into the '50s, if I recollect aright. The only one available "off the peg" as far as I know (in HO) is a delightful BMW Dixi produced, I think, by Schuco, at a price a bit beyond my pocket. Also LH drive, of course!

Another omission I find strange is a 00 steam lorry, given the number still available in odd scales by Matchbox, Lledo Days Gone By, and Corgi. Again, I suppose it is a touch of nostalgia with me, as I remember seeing them as a youngster in Liverpool, I suppose in the early '50s. Not sure what or whose they were, Sentinels I suppose, but I remember they made quite a clatter, as though chain driven, though I'm no expert.

I had a pal at the time who decided that, rather than going train spotting like a normal kid, he wanted to collect BRS lorry numbers, so I remember what seem to have been hours of boredom at the junction of Prescot Road and Queens Drive, which is the spot I saw the steam wagons passing, I think fairly frequently, as they didn't arouse much comment.

It might be interesting to hear if anyone else has any recollections of this sort. Unfortunately, perhaps, I no longer live in the UK.

Hell Pete

On rather tatty bikes I roamed a number of the highways and byways of SE London/NW Kent in the post war decade, and I always home in on vehicle models for that place and era. And I choose to buy when the quality is right. EFE and OOC are always acceptable to me, Pocketbond and Oxford are catching up.

An Austin 7 would be irresistable; but my wishlist is quite large.

PB

Guest jim s-w

Hi Pete

There's a lack of austin (and their derivatives) product all together. We have been promised some much later rovers so perhaps attention is turning?

An 80s version of the Austin 7 (ie metro) would be good too

Cheers

Jim

• 2 months later...

What we need are more Riley variations, and a 20hp Sunbeam of course.

By the way, I am not biased. At all.

Matthew

Would an ERA count as a Riley variation? And then you could have a GO52 as well. Thoroughbreds all, and full marks to you splendid types who keep them alive and in good fettle. I can almost smell the Castrol R from here.

Trying ever so hard to stay on this particular topic, the Austin 7 (the original one that is) would be a challenge to the model makers, and it will be interesting to see how Oxford's Tilly makes the grade. If that should succeed then an Austin 7 would certainly be feasible. Much as I like (and collect) much of Oxford's Era 3 output, I feel that the Pocketbond Vauxhall 10 is still the domestic car high end act to follow.

PB

I would of thought that Oxford could easily specify production of the Austin Heavy 12/4 in OO as they have used all the required dimensions to produce the larger version. Especially with the modern technology available now. Which makes it difficult to understand why more of the common vehicles have not been made, particularly when there are so many examples to scan.

Yes, an ERA would be very nice, however I would settle for some in OO.

Matthew

Archived