Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Something I've had happen to me a couple of times is having people answer a different question to the one I'd asked (One even criticised me for failing to ask the question he wanted to answer!) or making guesses that were wildly inaccurate. I've noticed the latter happening to other people on numerous occasions.

Under those circumstances, is "thanks" really appropriate?

I may be wrong,.. but doesn't the number of times the 'Like this' button is pressed, boost the member's reputation ?, thereby thanking him, or her, in a more positive fashion.

I may be wrong,.. but doesn't the number of times the 'Like this' button is pressed, boost the member's reputation ?, thereby thanking him, or her, in a more positive fashion.

It does indeed boost the members reputation. But as reputation points can be awarded for making silly comments in 'Wheeltappers' etc. do they really mean anything?

It does indeed boost the members reputation. But as reputation points can be awarded for making silly comments in 'Wheeltappers' etc. do they really mean anything?

I don't think they add to the reputation vote, do they...? Any post made in wheeltappers doesn't add to the overall post count as far as I know. Would it be the same for reputation?

But I more or less agree with you, as I said myself on the previous page.

Yes, saying thank you is polite and good manners, but to a certain extent all a 'thanks for the information' post does is add to the amount of 'information' stored on an apparently stuggling system. While I usually say thanks [i think!] to me one can do so in advance in the original question. If it saves space I wouldn't see anything wrong with using the likes button for thanks.

Personally the only thanks I want when I offer advice or information freely is for the other parties to do likewise.

On the subject of searching; yes it's annoying if folk are just too lazy to do it, but my experience suggests in many cases it's often can't rather than won't. In many cases I don't think people have the basic knowlege to know what they're actually looking for. If an OP seemingly being too lazy annoys you so much then just ignore the question; I don't understand anyone who spends time looking for something in this case then moaning about it.

Finally if there's anybody out there who has answered any of my questions and I've not thanked them - Thank you, I appreciate it; good accurate information is often hard to find.

Jeremy

Some "pont" up there ^^^ is about modelling time / posting count - Don't suppose he/she thought that many are retired or that some of us can have more than one window at a time open on the 'net..

Personally I have RMweb on the computor whilst beavering away at the workbench and hit VNC ever so often when I need a break or I'm waiting for the iron to warm up / workpiece to cool down etc. And I suspect that I'm not the only one who does that. As for time spent, I work part time in the evenings (for now) so have plenty of time to browse.

Good set of sensible rules there, Dave, [...]

Sorry Jeff, only noticed that comment today when checking back in here for a link :blush:

Thanks, although I wish I was better at sticking to them - I need a recalibration every now and then! I've introduced Rule 4 this week as well - modelling topics only for me from now on :)

Archived